Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Switzerlandesque neutral question: What constitutes a team’s “best shot” in preparation for Clemson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,195

Switzerlandesque neutral question: What constitutes a team’s “best shot” in preparation for Clemson?

Sep 29, 2019, 9:32 AM

If that’s what we got yesterday, and presumably what we get every game, what are the defining components of such a Herculean effort other than raw guts? If there are definable characteristics of a “best shot,” it would behoove us all to note them well, expect to see them, and measure our preparation against the likelihood of their employment.

I think Mack’s commitment to overstaffing the secondary was his team’s best shot at limiting the explosive plays that make our scoreboard run like a slot machine most weeks. It’s a sensible decision on his part. It seems the screen/sweep calls were an attempt to create explosive plays in space from the backfield, however clunkily they may have been executed...

What are some other characteristics of a “best shot” from an opponent?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Example:

Sep 29, 2019, 9:43 AM

Another presumable expectation would be risk-taking with pass rushers. How does/should that influence our offensive calls? Many have noted the conspicuous absence of midfield passing targets so far this year - is it a design issue or a personnel issue sans Renfrow, etc?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Re:

Sep 29, 2019, 9:44 AM

Seems to me, based on Mack Brown’s post game interview, his team was focused on the Tigers a couple weeks ago, which caused them to look past other competition, and it bit them. I believe when teams see #1 coming up on their schedules, at times they’re willing to sacrifice game prep for other foes in anticipation of knocking off #1. I suppose that extra prep time factors into a team’s best shot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:

Sep 29, 2019, 9:48 AM

I agree about prep time. A big test demands extra study time fo sho.

By extension, the game immediately prior to playing us may be the least valuable film study for our coaching staff to evaluate an opponent. You know they don’t put in the same effort and you know they’ll break tendencies and take risks...

GO TIGERS

Playing to Beat Clemson

Sep 29, 2019, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: ]

I think Isaiah Simmons summed it best when he told Syracuse that they need to stop just looking to beat Clemson and focus on one game at a time.

So this year so far, UNC focusing on the Tigers has now cost them 3 Ls (Wake, App St and CU) and Syracuse 2 Ls (Maryland and CU).

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Playing to Beat Clemson

Sep 29, 2019, 9:56 AM

Yuppp. I’d say the Cuse ended up much worse for the wear in that deal...

I love the spirit-breaking, season-destroying aspect of teams preparing for little ol’ Clemson.

GO TIGERS

Sep 29, 2019, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Playing to Beat Clemson ]

UNC could likely have a hangover next week after their big letdown yesterday and it's a good chance they'll lose a 4th consecutive game, to GT.

Sep 29, 2019, 12:10 PM

I agree in principle, but it’d be hard to lose to GT this year...even if UNC has a dud of a game, they’ll still roll over GT methinks.

GO TIGERS

What cotutes a team’s best shot

Sep 29, 2019, 9:50 AM

I asked the same question. "Best shot" is so vague. What are the techniques and schemes used in this best shot.

I have two examples of a best shot in the UNC game. The 2 point conversion and UNC going for it on 4th down three times. Twice on one drive . The second attempt being on our 45 yard line...... I guess it means taking chances and doing things unpredictably and throwing caution out the window.

Re: What cotutes a team’s best shot

Sep 29, 2019, 9:53 AM

In postgame, Dabo mentioned discussing the potential for 4th down and 2PC calls with the team during the game - I think he understood that to be a high-likelihood “best shot” tactic and prepared the guys well for that one. Agreed.

GO TIGERS

Sep 29, 2019, 11:13 AM

Last years USCe game is an example. New formations on offense, playing like a B12 team on offense. USCe still lost, but they knew that was their only shot. They went back to traditional Lumpy Ball and lost 28-0 to UVA.

Sep 29, 2019, 12:13 PM

Yep. Bet the farm on an integral scheme change and hold on for dear life. I bet that was Wilma’s Chimp’s nickname in high school - “lumpy ball.”

GO TIGERS

so UNC was BYOG?***

Sep 29, 2019, 11:15 AM

Re: so UNC was BYOG?***

Sep 29, 2019, 11:55 AM

They appeared to B more G than we did yesterday, to their credit.

GO TIGERS

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,195
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic