Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2019 Defenses place in history
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

2019 Defenses place in history

Jan 7, 2020, 8:03 PM

If we hold this LSU team to under 25 like we did OSU, will this defense get mentioned as one of the greatest of all time. If they do and we still lose they definitely won’t. This years OSU and LSU teams have better offenses than last years Bama team and our D got a lot of credit last year because of the returning dlinemen.

When we hold up the trophy. I hope Reese Davis crowns not only our Tigers the Champs but gives this defense credit for what they have done all year long.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2019 Defenses place in history

Jan 7, 2020, 8:49 PM

55 - Georgia Southern
45 - Texas
65 - Northwestern State(who)
66 - Vanderbilt
42 - Utah State
42 - Florida
36 - Mississippi State
23 - Auburn
46 - Alabama
58 - Ole Miss
56 - Arkansas
50 - Texas A&M
37 - Georgia
63 - Oklahoma

So - to answer your question - I had to post the scores LSU had against their "gauntlet of a schedule"! Georgia Southern and Northwestern State are "gimme games"!
Texas game was a shoot out they won by a TD.
Utah State is a good defensive team but heck Wake scored 38 points on Utah State.
Vanderbilt - Really? Caveat to this game is they also gave up 38 pts.
The Mississippi schools were trash this year! They are normally okay; this year trash.
Arkansas was a dumpster fire.
So you get into Florida and you go "They were pretty good"! Florida struggled with S. Carolina for the better part of that game. Georgia beat them and Georgia has the 62nd ranked offense in the land despite being in the SEC-least!
Auburn was good defensively - much better than their rank. They would have been higher but their offense left them out to dry often! What was the results of that game? *** 23-20 LSU win. They gave up a bunch of yards but only surrendered 23 points.** Alabama - they go into the game with a hurt QB. They get into a shoot out. Bama's defense was not the same Bama defense of old - they had good players of course - but shaky schemes and play calling. Bama was giving up yards and points "TO BAD OFFENSES" let alone an LSU.
A&M and Oklahoma - yawn! Oklahoma missing 3 guys going in was still facing an uphill battle even if those guys had played. Then their 2nd leading tackler got dismissed in the 1st qtr for targeting. I am not as impressed when I keep that in mind. A & M - seemed like they just wanted the season to be over - they too had given up yards and points to much lesser talented teams than LSU - so of course LSU would score.

All of that to say - we have seen this story before. A team from the SEC that scores points in bunches must be heads and shoulders above everyone else! No longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust conference - it's spread and we kill you with speed and Y-Stick routes. I feel we seen this exact story before - our defense this year is not as suited to get after Burrow with our down guys. At least to date they haven't been consistent in applying pressure. But, despite having leads and putting teams in passing situations we haven't surrendered a bunch of yards or points. LSU is different - why? Because they played the above schedule?
Could be. Or history could repeat itself. And our defense will be hailed one of the best ever! Ands statistically they would be!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2020, 8:57 PM

Clemson fan's mocking LSU's schedule = comedy gold..keep it up.

Jan 7, 2020, 9:09 PM

If watching us against 0hi0 St. didn't give you a clue then you really don't. They would probably have taken down LSU if given the chance. Everybody knew ya'll were getting a bye with Okrahomma. A good QB but defense is highly suspect. I suspect you will be educated and exposed by this time next week. We shall see!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the fact that you consider his post as "mocking"...

Jan 7, 2020, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: 2019 Defenses place in history ]

says a lot about your objectivity

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the fact that you consider his post as "mocking"...

Jan 8, 2020, 11:42 AM

He put "gauntlet of a schedule" of a schedule in quotes. That's why I said mocking.

you scared?

Jan 7, 2020, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Re: 2019 Defenses place in history ]

You seem scared.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really think BV has done his most remarkable coaching job this

Jan 8, 2020, 12:12 PM

year. When you get right down to it, we haven't generated that much pass rush from the guys up front, but his schemes are elaborate enough to have overcome that. Help is on the way in a HUGE fashion next year, but this year has been a clinic in excellence, doing more with less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic