Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gamecock Defensive Coordinator's comments on Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Gamecock Defensive Coordinator's comments on Clemson

Nov 27, 2012, 2:36 PM

From the Florence Morning News (26 Nov): "The reason has been simple, said South Caorlina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward: The Gamecocks play a more physical style in the tougher SEC, and Clemson comes in unprepared after facing eight ACC defenses."

How true! When will Dabo realize this???? He's been told this for 4 years!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that's BS. They don't recruit the Clownman and he's

Nov 27, 2012, 2:38 PM

probably looking for another job.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: I think that's BS. They don't recruit the Clownman and he's

Nov 27, 2012, 2:48 PM

BS...we played with our backup qb and the third and 4th string rbs, the defense may have had more cushion if we were healthy like clemson was... Clowney is a freak though I wil give you that

Re: An ignorant freak. I will give you that.***

Nov 27, 2012, 3:08 PM

2 things.....

Nov 27, 2012, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I think that's BS. They don't recruit the Clownman and he's ]

1) Thompson is likely a better passer than Shaw and played the game of his life to this point. Not necessarily a downgrade at QB. RBs are a little dropoff, but not a huge gap. Very similar to Clemson's situation at RB...both schools have quality depth there behind their main guys. Strategy would have been similar....milking the clock with long drives to keep Clemson's offense off the field. It was basically a game of "keep away" the whole second half and it worked. Not sure that would have led to a bigger "cushion" to have Shaw and Lattimore doing the same thing.

2) Clemson's secondary hasn't been healthy for quite sometime. 3 CBs out. All ahead on the depth chart of the guys that played Saturday. This has been a problem for weeks. SCAR had tons of success converting 3rd and longs against a weakened secondary.

Re: 2 things.....

Nov 27, 2012, 5:27 PM

Don't you realize we're not allowed to talk about our injuries?

Re: I think that's BS. They don't recruit the Clownman and he's

Nov 27, 2012, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Re: I think that's BS. They don't recruit the Clownman and he's ]

Not hard to complete passes when you have only 3 guys chasing you with 6 to block them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coots keep whining about injuries even when they win...

Nov 27, 2012, 10:58 PM [ in reply to Re: I think that's BS. They don't recruit the Clownman and he's ]

You know, 2 CBs and a Safety out with injury. Otherwise we'd have won - 2 can play that stupid game.

What's stupid is the very argument that the loss is to

Nov 28, 2012, 7:46 AM

be blamed on the defense in any way, shape or form. The D played well enough to win. The loss is to be blamed on the fact that the D was forced to play 40 minutes. The offense managed a mere 19 snaps in the second half.

And I'm not blaming Tajh. I'm blaming Chad for expecting Tajh to stay in the pocket long enough to find a receiver down field instead of calling plays to get the ball quickly to our playmakers in space.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Ask Bruce Ellington if we play phsyical.

Nov 27, 2012, 2:48 PM [ in reply to I think that's BS. They don't recruit the Clownman and he's ]

Willard and a few others were blowing them up. They might have gotten a better push on the line of scrimmage from their OL, but I don't think they were anymore physical than us. That's someone using their lips as a recruiting tool is all that is. Clowney was about the only thing more physical about their defense.

Re: Ask Bruce Ellington if we play phsyical.

Nov 27, 2012, 10:18 PM

As long as the majority of Clemson people believe that we were just as physical as SC, and continue to see the world only through 'orange-lensed glasses', the ##### will continue to have their way with us on the field every year.

They were great at keeping us on the sideline. That's about

Nov 27, 2012, 2:38 PM

it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They were great at keeping us on the sideline. That's about

Nov 27, 2012, 2:45 PM

Spurrier is smart enough to know he needs his offense to help his defense by consuming clock. He is arrogant, but not enough to try and outscore someone if he sees a better way to beat them. Dabo assumes his offense can outscore everyone. That is not always the case. You have to be flexible to maximize your chances.

Nov 27, 2012, 4:48 PM

Great insight. Agree. Have to be more flexible.

Nov 28, 2012, 2:03 AM [ in reply to They were great at keeping us on the sideline. That's about ]

Clemson's offense was "great" at helping them also. They beat us!!!! We scored 3 points in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters. What has that got to do with our defense? Our offense couldn't keep our defense off the field.

Re: Gamecock Defensive Coordinator's comments on Clemson

Nov 27, 2012, 2:40 PM

Grading physicality is pretty subjective. They system/personnel he ran is the real reason. In a 4-2-5 system USC has an extra DB on the field to help against a passing offense. Then USC has a fast DL who can get to the QB quickly. Since USC can get pressure with the front 1 LB can fill in the cap for a run and the other can help in coverage.

The system works b/c of guys like Clowney and Taylor who can get to the QB. WIthout there pressure, it won't work.

Nov 27, 2012, 2:43 PM

should have ran spell check.

*pressure with the front 4,

*1 LB can cover the gap.

For some reason, Tommy Bowden went 7-2. The problem is that

Nov 27, 2012, 2:41 PM

some Head Coaches are good rivalry game coaches; others are not. Unfortunately, Dabo is not.

Don't forget that they had a rest week prior to us too.

Nov 27, 2012, 2:44 PM

Spurrier has just decided not to lose it anymore. When we start scheduling a cream puff in front of them next year we will see what happens. Clowney's foot looked real sore Sat. Right;)

Re: Don't forget that they had a rest week prior to us too.

Nov 27, 2012, 2:48 PM

Who are you going to schedule any easier than NC State? UT beat them by 2 td's and UT won 1 game in the SEC. It isn't like you were playing a real powerhouse.

No, but I don't think we could beat NCSU without our starter

Nov 27, 2012, 5:26 PM

s on the field. Give me a break, I think Wofford is a little bit inferior to NCSU.

Re: No, but I don't think we could beat NCSU without our starter

Nov 27, 2012, 10:49 PM

Really? Is that the same Wofford that lost an 8 point game to Clemson in DV last year?

Different players, scheme, and DC

Nov 28, 2012, 6:52 AM

Nice try from someone who talks about not living in the past.

Re: Don't forget that they had a rest week prior to us too.

Nov 28, 2012, 2:05 AM [ in reply to Don't forget that they had a rest week prior to us too. ]

Are you serious? We played Wake, Maryland, Duke and NC State! What in he!! are you talking about?

Psssssst! Coot. There's a big difference between FBS

Nov 28, 2012, 8:04 AM

(NCSU) and FCS (Wofford). hth

Message was edited by: David78®

Re: For some reason, Tommy Bowden went 7-2. The problem is that

Nov 27, 2012, 4:27 PM [ in reply to For some reason, Tommy Bowden went 7-2. The problem is that ]

Only when it comes to running his mouth.

Re: For some reason, Tommy Bowden went 7-2. The problem is that

Nov 27, 2012, 10:18 PM [ in reply to For some reason, Tommy Bowden went 7-2. The problem is that ]

South Carolina must not have been in the SEC back then!

Dabo is 2-1 in rivalry games (Auburn)*******

Nov 28, 2012, 7:17 AM [ in reply to For some reason, Tommy Bowden went 7-2. The problem is that ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^This

Nov 28, 2012, 8:06 AM

I think Dabo is beginning to come around on the Scar rivalry, but the truth is, he has a lot more disgust for Allbarn.

and he'll be exposed once clowning is gone***

Nov 27, 2012, 2:44 PM

Re: In fairness, according to 104.9 experts, SC was supposed

Nov 27, 2012, 4:38 PM

to be exposed this season with the loss of Ellis Johnson to SthMiss and Melvin Ingram\Stephen Gilmore to the NFL.

Best to worry less about SC losses and more about additions to Clemson.

Nov 27, 2012, 2:46 PM

Why don't you guys sit back and relax? We lost by 10 points to good team. It happens. If we had lost 63 to 17, then yes, there would be a reason to worry. Dropping 3 ints normally doesn't happen.

by his loic.we should never beat usuc..

Nov 27, 2012, 2:55 PM

i mean they have been in the sec for years.also kentucky should be high powered when playing other teams as well.sure the comp plays a part.but it dosent play as much as a factor that many try to make it out to be

Re: by his loic.we should never beat usuc..

Nov 28, 2012, 8:10 AM

Funny thing is, I don't think you'd hear that argument from the 'Bama or LSU DCs. They don't need the $EC crutch to explain any success they have. That is just more evidence of SCar's inferiority complex.

Nov 27, 2012, 2:58 PM

I'm begining to think here may have been some SEC talking points distributed or something. Heard on the Bill King show that as Muschamp was walking off the field at halftime of their game against FSU, he was asked why his running game was being so effective. His answer, "We face lots better defenses than this in the SEC."

Nov 27, 2012, 3:01 PM

Watch out posting stuff like this or you'll get bashed! People dont want to see the truth! We're NOT at a level to win games out of conference and that's proven over and over but everyone likes their head in the sand i guess.

Nov 27, 2012, 10:25 PM

Isn't Whoppy or Whammy Ward supposed to be a very long-time buddy of Dabo's? I thought I read an article a couple years back where he stays at Dabo's house sometimes. Is this right, or am I mistaken?

Can we include Auburn in that too?.....

Nov 27, 2012, 3:38 PM

Haven't we beaten them twice in a row? Didn't we lose to them that one year by missing a FG after a snap infraction in the same year they won the BS championship but then owned them the next 2 games? Were they more physical than we were in those 3 games? Should we have scheduled them the week before SCAR to "get ready"?
Is Missouri physical now that they are in the SEC?
How about Vandy and Kentucky? Are they awesomely physical?
Didn't Ole Miss give up 60 zillion points to Texas this season? Didn't Arkansas get beat by La. Monroe? Didn't Miss. St. completely fall apart when they played someone with a pulse? Didn't Tennessee give up a zillion points and almost lose to Troy? Were they not physical enough that day?
Isn't Texas A&M owning most of the SEC with a spread offense and a freshman QB? Have they gotten more physical all of a sudden?

Ok, so SCAR plays 4 legit games this year (UGA, Florida, LSU and Clemson). They go 2-2. Congratulations. Enjoy the win, but this whole garbage about every SEC team being a juggernaut is a joke. The teams at the top are certainly good, as they have proven. But if you only play 2 or 3 of them in a season, it's not like it's the most terrible thing ever. Quit riding the coattails of your conference and just own the fact that you won the game.

Does Clemson need to get better in the trenches? Yes. Does this game turn out differently if the running game which was working well is not completely abandoned by the OC? Probably. Or if the 3rd and 19 conversion doesn't happen? Probably. Those are ifs and buts, but the whole "more physical" thing is a bit overblown at this point. Dylan Thompson and Clowney made more plays, and that about sums it up.

Maybe we should go "live" every practice (heavy)

Nov 27, 2012, 4:25 PM

Granted, risk of injury doing so, but that might be the price to obtain the "live fire" experience needed when playing a truly tough team ... just a thought

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they lose what, 9 sr's off the defensive side of the ball?

Nov 27, 2012, 4:25 PM

they are an experienced group. it will show next year.

Re: they lose what, 9 sr's off the defensive side of the ball?

Nov 27, 2012, 10:14 PM

We'll get em next year!

its not that clowney freak is so great we just needed bigger O linemen tn has big O linemen clowney had only 1 sack last play of game***

Nov 27, 2012, 10:07 PM

I know! Why does Dabo insist we continue to play conference games?

Nov 28, 2012, 7:15 AM

Zzzzzzzzzz.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic