Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2 games speak most to who Bama is... (Long, but in-depth)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 2,134

2 games speak most to who Bama is... (Long, but in-depth)

Jan 7, 2019, 12:25 AM

Arkansas and Miss State probably hold more keys to understanding how we match up with Bama than any other 2 games. Even Texas A&M.

1) If Ark can put 31 on Bama...you know we can put up something b/n that and 10-14 points north of that.

That is the one game our offense studied in particular as Jeff & Tony are looking through the eyes of their former teacher, Chad Morris. I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if a few phone calls were made b/n Chad and Dabo, Jeff & Tony..even though it's not needed. Arkansas finished with 233 yards passing and 172 yards rushing (unheard of rushing total vs Bama btw...), for 405 total yards. Further, Arkansas achieved these totals with 3 turnovers (to Bama's 0 turnovers).

2) Miss State finished 1st in total Defense (1 spot ahead of us) at 263 yards per game (compared to our 274). However, we have the edge in yards per play with 4.05 to their 4.13.

Miss St. held Bama to 305 yards (163 passing/142 rushing) and their lowest point total of the season at 24 points. Bama did have 2 turnovers in that, but Miss state had 1 as well. However, the game was in Tuscaloosa.

WHEN CLEMSON HAS THE BALL....

- Bama D is giving up more yards through both the ground & air,...and, 4 more points per game (11.9 vs 16.2). Most of this has come through the ground as they giving up 25 more yards on the ground (125 vs 95) this year.

- Bama also giving up 22 more yards through the air as well this season. TL will find and go after the weakness. With the Offensive line looking to redeem themselves, Etienne very well could be the first back to break a few key runs on them. If that happens, and Bama has to bring an extra hat in the box, it's gonna be our night! If not, Tony & Jeff will call the plays to find the single coverage and TL will be able to find them as well.

-Clemson Off is averaging 47.8 points per game since TL has started and finished each game (Wake). This is up 14.5 points per game vs last year (33.3).

- Clemson is throwing for 40 more yards per game, but running for 61 more yards per game in 2018, vs 2017. I hope we get it going with Etienne early. If not, you'll see a few TL designed runs to keep Bama D off Balance.

WHEN BAMA HAS THE BALL....

- Bama Offense averaging 10 more points per game this year. Yet, is running for 48 yards less yards per game than last year. With that said, our ability to affect the pass game is THE game. BV is going to have to find ways to confuse Tua, AND, pressure him. We're going to need to drop an extra man at times to confuse, but also be able to bring an extra guy to pressure Tua into early throws or scramble. The adjustments made by BV from the QTR through half will be interesting as Bama always starts hot. Given BV's history I think he'll go for Pressure and really try to rattle Tua. I expect Ferrell, Bryant and Xavier Thomas to be turned loose. I think XT might be the key. He's the fastest, and Tua gets the ball out quick so it's up to him to go get the QB!!

- Clemson D is very stingy, and is the most efficient unit under BV yet. However, defending this Bama team will be much more difficult. The two years we played them in the championship, we played a lot of base defense. This year will be different. The key again will be pressure and making Bama one dimensional. If we can take away the run, with 4-5 players most of the night, and force Tua to throw the majority of the night. I like our chances with 7 in the back If so, edge to Clemson.

Last thoughts...

- Turnover margin - It would be great to win the Turnover margin. I feel like we're due.

- Renfrow - Renfrow could see a lot of action again with Higgins and Ross.

- TE's - I sure hope we've gone quiet on the TE plays this year and hidden tons of plays. Leggett was a major factor in our win 2 years ago.

- If this becomes a 4th qtr game, advantage us. Especially if we can get the offensive play count close to 90.

My Prediction: 35-28, Good guys!!

Go Tigers!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2 games speak most to who Bama is... (Long, but in-depth)

Jan 7, 2019, 2:12 AM

Great analysis man. Good point about Arkansas I didn't think of yet. Interesting to see how that RT holds up against Austin nd XT all night too. Probably will need to spy with fast guys like simmons too on multiple drives.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2019, 2:21 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Jan 7, 2019, 6:31 AM

Great analysis CC!! Enjoyed reading.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

UGA's d was on Bama like white on rice.

Jan 7, 2019, 6:39 AM

Tua is a freak but he acts just like Baker Mayfield when he's chased around after a sack or two. He thinks he can make plays which aren't there. We're the sack kings and tops a hurries on OBs. We can rattle him.

Clemson 34, Bama 17.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 2,134
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic