Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 106
| visibility 1

FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game

Sep 4, 2016, 1:09 AM

Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love Dabo but that's a bogus answer.***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:10 AM

Re: Love Dabo but that's a bogus answer.***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:46 AM

Was dumb but no dumber than the pass play on 2nd & 8 with 1:59 on the clock. Incompletion stopped it at 1:54 instead of eating 35 additional second off the clock or causing then to burn a TO, we let them save that TO.

I don't think Gallman intended to go out of bounds, he had a heck of a hit put on him and got knocked out of bounds.

Re: Love Dabo but that's a bogus answer.***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:51 AM

You know all those time-stopping game plays make sence if we can make a FG on 4th down to seal the game right? A very very easy probability statistics could answer that question and coaches are payed for that.

I think ^^this is the winner.***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:57 AM

Re: I think ^^this is the winner.***

Sep 4, 2016, 2:03 AM

Any Dabo is also payed to make that FG decision instead of going for it on 4th down.

Cost me $1k. Not real pleased with the decision.***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:11 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cost me $1k. Not real pleased with the decision.***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:16 AM

He gets paid to win not cover spread

Re: Cost me $1k. Not real pleased with the decision.***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:47 AM

Yep! It's something I had to learn the hard way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You gave up more than a TD on the road in the 1st game

Sep 4, 2016, 1:19 AM [ in reply to Cost me $1k. Not real pleased with the decision.*** ]

against a P5 opponent. You cost yourself $1k.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You gave up more than a TD on the road in the 1st game

Sep 4, 2016, 1:28 AM

go #### yourselves. A field goal wins it for me.

However, if 1k was going to hurt me, i wouldn't have bet it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2016, 1:30 AM

and not only that, but it would have put the game away for Clemson.

Stay away from the marquee games on opening weekend

Sep 4, 2016, 1:39 AM [ in reply to Re: You gave up more than a TD on the road in the 1st game ]

so much value in the many many overlooked games.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Run clock, kick FG... that's the call.***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:59 AM [ in reply to Re: You gave up more than a TD on the road in the 1st game ]

Sep 4, 2016, 10:58 AM [ in reply to You gave up more than a TD on the road in the 1st game ]

^^^Agree^^^

Despite the hype and preseason question marks, for both teams, this wasn't a good game to bet. Simple FPI comparison would make Clemson a 9.5 point favorite at a neutral site. A standard 3 point home field advantage (personally I use 4 for P5 college teams and 2.5 for pro) would suggest a 6.5 point average margin of victory. Opening weekend at an SEC opponent, giving 8 points... this was simply a game to stay away from. Dabo's decision may have ruined the chance but it was a bad bet from the get-go.

Why would you bet on a game involving Auburn?

Sep 4, 2016, 1:26 AM [ in reply to Cost me $1k. Not real pleased with the decision.*** ]

That seems like a terrible idea.

Re: FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game

Sep 4, 2016, 1:12 AM

I'd love to know what odds he's referring to. How many field goals get blocked? How many are returned for touchdowns? Compare that to how many teams go 80 yards in 40 seconds. I'd say he doesn't know the odds. That was a very stupid call.

Agree %100 *

Sep 4, 2016, 1:16 AM

Sep 4, 2016, 1:17 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game ]

If you have the chance to clinch the win I think you go after it. Don't second guess. What if some wacky referee had called PI on the last play.

Sep 4, 2016, 1:20 AM

You know that a FG also wins the game, right?

Sep 4, 2016, 11:45 PM

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I meant go for the win by kicking and making it a 2 score game.

The only legit question mark would be on the spread (7.5). As a clemson fan, I really don't want to question the decency of Dabo and I probably should not. But a FG really a no-brainer and only right choice there.

Sep 4, 2016, 1:33 AM

Dabo wouldn't risk losing the game over the spread. Get ahold of yourself, man.

Sep 4, 2016, 1:36 AM

Which one is riskier in term of losing the game? FG or go for it on that 4th down. You don't have to be a coach to answer that question.

Sep 4, 2016, 1:39 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game ]

Exactly, there is no way that call could be made to look like the smartest or best call, bc it sure as h&ll wasn't!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And it's not like we have a rookie kicker.***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:21 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game ]

Sep 4, 2016, 1:34 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game ]

Yes sir, I don't care what he or anybody else says, I personally thought and believe that was a dumb A$S call. If not for Jadar Johnson getting his hands on the ball twice in 40 seconds, we lose that Fing game bc of a stupid A$S call that I don't believe he will ever make that call again for the rest of his career!!! And I also hate that he is trying to make it sound like it was a good call bc it surely wasn't, and it was to close to costing our team that game. And it could have caused the guys that won't be back after this season, to not care about the rest of the season. Please don't do that anymore Dabo, please!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can remember 2 just last year...

Sep 4, 2016, 1:40 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game ]

1 college, 1 nfl. The way our defense was playing and them not having any timeouts, I was 100% in favor of his choice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkjOrYv1Gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9qlm5NZKCg

Re: I can remember 2 just last year...

Sep 4, 2016, 2:08 AM

Notice both of those were from over 50 yards. A better question is how often a FG from within 35 yds is blocked and returned. Certainly way less than the number of successful hail marys.

You don't have to think TD. There were 40 seconds left

Sep 4, 2016, 2:15 AM

Any kind of block has the opportunity of giving Auburn much better field position. With the way our D was playing, going for it on 4thalmost guarantees Auburn has to go 80 yards with 0 timeouts if we don't get it. I like those odds. And I'm sorry, but I see many more blocked FGs than hail marys to win games.

and let me be clear, I'm saying just a blocked FG not

Sep 4, 2016, 2:16 AM

a blocked for TD.

Re: You don't have to think TD. There were 40 seconds left

Sep 4, 2016, 3:29 AM [ in reply to You don't have to think TD. There were 40 seconds left ]

I wasn't just thinking TD. I said blocked and returned, meaning any return. Most blocked FG's still go forward and aren't returned, and shorter kicks are less likely to be blocked. Huegel's never even missed a FG from 35yds or less (although he's missed a bunch of XP's for some reason). The odds to win were good no matter what the call was, but the odds dropped by going for it. It's pretty obvious to me. Maybe something like 99% to 96% as a rough guess.

Re: I can remember 2 just last year...

Sep 4, 2016, 11:43 AM [ in reply to I can remember 2 just last year... ]

I agree. You will notice that not one of these people knocking Dabo for the call to go for a first down, instead of a field goal, mentions what happened to FSU against GT, when they went for a field goal.
I would really like to see what they would have said if Dabo went for a FG and it got blocked and returned for a TD, losing the game!!! No matter what you have to say about the call, it went right and we, Clemson, won the freaking game. Therefore, it was the correct call, end of story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO, his decision was based on FEAR.

Sep 4, 2016, 3:48 PM

No...It wasn't the correct call. A person can be too afraid of the wrong outcome to choose properly. I believe from Swinney's past decisions that he is fearful of special team's play...so much so that he sticks his neck too far out to avoid the chance. I would say... Correct special teams!!!

here are the odds of blocking a fg....

Sep 4, 2016, 1:47 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game ]

from 25 yds...3.5%
16-20..2.7%
11-15..2.0%
6-10...1.0%
1-5....0.5%

He gave a CYA answer. And he almost had to give the handshake. It was a stupid call

Sep 4, 2016, 1:50 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game ]

I agree! I don't care about the spread, but I say the smart money would have bet that kicking the FG was the right choice. Still, so glad we held on for a win! Love me some Clemson Tigers!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he just got caught up in the moment and didn't think

Sep 4, 2016, 1:13 AM

Seems like a lot of the team were on the same wavelength tonight. A LOT of mental mistakes. At least we got the next two weeks to shake off the rust.

Re: I think he just got caught up in the moment and didn't think

Sep 4, 2016, 1:15 AM

I think he remembered this ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-KAAGW639A

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2016, 1:22 AM

For every play like this one there are hundreds of games where a team flies down the field in seconds against a "pass prevent" defense that isn't designed to prevent passes.

Completely different situations

Sep 4, 2016, 1:25 AM [ in reply to Re: I think he just got caught up in the moment and didn't think ]

1)Our potential field goal was much shorter and had a much greater chance of being made.

2)The clock was going to expire on that play in their game, but there were 40+ seconds left in our game tonight.

Kicking the field goal only requires that a single play be executed without a catastrophic failure.

By giving them the ball back with 45 seconds left in a 6 point game, you force your defense to execute without a catastrophic failure for several plays.

The mathematical odds of them winning by having the ball with 45 seconds left and needing a TD are insanely greater than the odds of them winning if we try the FG. If we miss it, the situation is the same, and the chances of a block and return are less than 0.1 percent. The odds of us making it is greater than 90 percent with Heugel, which effectively ends the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Completely different situations

If Gallman just falls down instead of running out of bounds we could have run the clock out or close to it. That's the play that has me upset. If he just stays in bounds then all of that at the end is avoided. Boulware with the senseless PF that gave them a 1st down. If he doesn't do that it is 4th down. We just need to be smarter in lots of areas. National title teams don't beat themselves. We almost did tonight.

Sep 4, 2016, 11:28 PM

Finally somebody that is paying attention.

Dabo expected there to be about 10 seconds on the clock after Gallmans's run be he stupidly went out of bounds. 10 seconds is 2 plays which is highly unlikely to cover 80 yards. By not kicking he was trying to avoid giving them 40 seconds to score on a missed kick. This also avoided the ability to get a blocked and returned kick to lose the game for us.

Basically Gallman screwed up pretty badly. Dabo didn't throw him under the bus with his answer to the question.

Sep 4, 2016, 1:48 AM [ in reply to Completely different situations ]

And that was the only risk that should have been played in this game. I have seen us and many other teams lose game in less than 40 second by playing prevent defense. That sh!t fails more times than it's been successful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason he remembers that is b/c it's an exception . . .

Sep 4, 2016, 2:02 AM [ in reply to Re: I think he just got caught up in the moment and didn't think ]

Those don't happen all that often, so they're very memorable. His logic was atrocious.

Sep 4, 2016, 7:07 AM [ in reply to Re: I think he just got caught up in the moment and didn't think ]

It wasn't that one, it was Al losing to Auburn on the field goals attempt to win the game w no time and Auburn returned it 100 yes for a Td. Anything but running out of bounds on third down. Also sweep on 4th down uses clock and maybe get 1st down. Our defense was tired at the end of the game because our offense had a really bad third quarter.

Message was edited by: tigersnake1954®

Sep 4, 2016, 1:24 AM [ in reply to I think he just got caught up in the moment and didn't think ]

It is the same as a game winning FG. Teams try as hard to block those as they would have on that play. Chances are better of them driving the field in that amount of time then blocking a kick and running it back. It was the ultimate playing not to lose mentality. Dabo needs to own it and understand that play calling needs to be aggressive.

We got out with a win though. So I will take it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree that is exactly what happened. Not kicking it there

Sep 4, 2016, 1:31 AM [ in reply to I think he just got caught up in the moment and didn't think ]

Was basically the only hope Auburn had of winning the game. I believe in our D too so kick the FG and if we miss it, let the D stop them. His logic doesn't hold up to scrutiny on this one. Glad to get the W! Shouldn't have come down to Johnson making two great plays..

yep. I think that's the real answer

Sep 4, 2016, 1:43 AM [ in reply to I think he just got caught up in the moment and didn't think ]

He just wasn't thinking at all

I disagree . . .

Sep 4, 2016, 2:09 AM [ in reply to I think he just got caught up in the moment and didn't think ]

He may have in some sense gotten caught up, but that's a hard sell b/c, for one, he gave a defense of it after the game, rather than just saying "yeah we didn't make the best call there." And second, flubbing strategic game/time management decisions is fairly routine for him --- clock management issues (especially at the end of games or the half, passing up FG's when there's no reason to (and compelling reasons not to), not burning time when the situation calls for it, making risky red-zone calls and blowing FG opportunities, and so forth.

cmon Dabo you could put the game away and not sweat the last

Sep 4, 2016, 1:14 AM

40 secs ADMIT BAD MISTAKE PLEASE!

In hind sight, I think he should have kicked it too, but

Sep 4, 2016, 1:18 AM

in reality, the 40 seconds was on Wayne Gallman for not staying in bounds. Should have been about 6 seconds left for Auburn to play around with.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And who called that?

Sep 4, 2016, 1:25 AM

Did he call himself that play or trying to get away from tackles?

We ran in the middle most of the time all night. Why not just run in the middle to setup a nice FG position?

Re: And who called that?

Sep 4, 2016, 1:59 AM

That's right, when we should have run up the middle, we run to the sidelines and run out of bounds and stop the clock. We could have run all the time off the clock and call a time out with 1 second on the play clock and try a FG. If we miss it or if it was blocked, they have less time left to try and score. Dabo screwed up, and in his next interview, he really should own up to it. Leggett had to hear about his screw up, so Dabo I hope will man up also!!!

Re: In hind sight, I think he should have kicked it too, but

Sep 4, 2016, 1:49 AM [ in reply to In hind sight, I think he should have kicked it too, but ]

Amen Apex Tiger!

Re: cmon Dabo you could put the game away and not sweat the last

Sep 4, 2016, 6:56 AM [ in reply to cmon Dabo you could put the game away and not sweat the last ]

Once the dust settles maybe he'll spill his guts and reveal the truth, that the crowd and the excitement of the game overwhelmed him temporarily!
Fortunately we won so he got away with it and possibly got a good learning experience. He's off the hot seat for now but Gus is still on it! ;)

Re: cmon Dabo you could put the game away and not sweat the last

Sep 4, 2016, 11:37 AM [ in reply to cmon Dabo you could put the game away and not sweat the last ]

Agreed. You make it, you put the game away. You miss it, we're close enough the kick goes into the stands and can't be returned and they still have to march down the field anyway. The odds of us converting 4th down definitely weren't good, the way we were playing.

What odds are we talking about exactly?

Sep 4, 2016, 1:15 AM

How about the odds that it's significantly more difficult to score twice in the time remaining than once?

I can only guess the odds of converting the fourth down

Sep 4, 2016, 1:19 AM

That would have ended the game.

I don't agree with the decision at all, but that's my best guess as to what he was talking about.

Another reason...

Sep 4, 2016, 1:27 AM

Dabo forgot that it's 4th down. And that would have been a more stupid reason.

Re: Another reason...

I wondered about that, seeing his reaction after the play.

Sep 4, 2016, 1:17 AM

Tell Gallman to stay inbounds on the 323rd down run and Auburn gets the ball same spot with only 7 seconds left to play.

Sep 4, 2016, 1:18 AM

Third down run.

Re:

Sep 4, 2016, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game ]

Yep, that pissed me off too. So, instead of making the best call after that, he should've gotten in his time machine and gone back a play and made sure Gallman did that. Wait, no time machine? Ok, then make the right #### call!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Is there something else going on here?

Sep 4, 2016, 9:43 PM

Dabo explained his reasons for the decision. You may not agree with that decision, but it sounds reasonable to me given all the circumstances... so from my viewpoint, good enough. I'm moving on...

But before I do, I'm curious. Maybe I haven't been on the boards long enough, but this "controversy" is baffling to me ... Especially since we won the game? We did win the game, right???

Could it be that the "something else" is because some people who bet on the game and are sore because the "alleged" 3 points added to the margin would have put $$$ in their pocket ... and it didn't happen?

I can't think of another plausible explanation for this because regardless of the FG decision, do people actually believe there is such a thing as a perfect game by players, officials, and coaches? My guess is that Dabo would be the first one to say, "of course not, but BEST (not perfect) is the standard."

If losing money on the game is what is causing such an uproar by some posters, then shame on them. As for me, I'll continue to support my Tigers, and move on from this senseless "debate".

Go Tigers!!!

This means he doesn't trust Huegel at all.***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:23 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

can't say I blame him...I don't and Dabo has seen him more

Sep 4, 2016, 1:26 AM

than me

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He kicked 32 FGs last year and missed 4.

I guess that wasn't good enough.

he missed 50% of his XP attempts tonight though***

Sep 4, 2016, 2:37 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It happened...just as many other things.***

Sep 4, 2016, 3:00 AM

Re: This means he doesn't trust Huegel at all.***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:54 AM [ in reply to This means he doesn't trust Huegel at all.*** ]

Maybe it's the long snapper he doesn't trust. Already had one terrible snap earlier.

Sep 4, 2016, 12:53 PM

Nothing guaranteed but that was very makeble FG.

Sep 4, 2016, 1:29 PM

Certainly ... And an extra point is definitely more guaranteed than a field goal. I mean, it had been how long since we missed one of those?! Oh ... Less than a half??? ;)

Let's not forget to factor in how each decision might affect our opponent's mindset and the stadium environment.

We attempt a field goal and miss or fail to handle a high snap and the crowd goes wild, giving Auburn the momentum swing and their players the belief of game winning "destiny" again. Our players are back on their heels.

Or we go for it on 4th down, don't make it and their mindset is more of "it's a long shot with only 40 seconds and 80 yards to go, but let's try it." (This is what it appears to have occurred to me.)

Huge difference in the stadium atmosphere, player confidence, and circumstances. In a game like this, EVERYTHING COUNTS!!

There were a lot of factors and much analysis crammed into just a few minutes time to come up with Dabo's decision. No doubt there were discussions during the entire drive and timeouts as the game played out.

Dabo said he went with the percentages, whatever they were at the time. And I believe the coaches had mulled through all sorts of possible scenarios, possible/probable outcomes and their likelihood WELL BEFORE the game even started. But when it comes down to it, the game itself changes the percentages and you have to go with your gut sometimes.

I've been through this as a player and coach (different sport), but in this case, Dabo's gut decision was right ... and, after all, it's a moot point ... Because we won! :D

GARBAGE

Sep 4, 2016, 1:23 AM

Not sure what he is talking about. That was a chip shot. Worst case they miss and give up 7 yds. Ughhhh... getting too old for thesr kind of endings

Um, a PAT from the 3 yard line is a chip shot, that we

Sep 4, 2016, 1:54 AM

missed, btw. Plus last made FG Seth Ryan had to save the day with the very high hike. His answer is code for: "I trust the D a lot more than my not-so-special teams." I agree we should have gone for it, but I understand the reluctance.

The problem I had with it was if you're going to go

Sep 4, 2016, 1:25 AM

for it, really go for it, and throw a pass. No way you should run it there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2016, 1:26 AM

Dabo, it was a mistake. Own it and move on. We may have won but that poor decision, poor is being extremely polite, was 2 knocked down passes away from a fat L and end all hopes of playoff. Get your head straight, your better than that.

Wow, imagine that, putting it in the hands of BV's boys...

Sep 4, 2016, 1:34 AM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look folks. We got a win. Beat the SEC yet again. On the road. National tv. We are still undefeated. We will still be #2 or #3 next week. I trust Dabo and the coaches even though I would have done a LOT of things differently tonight. Don't worry. They will fix these things. It will be okay. If we had lost the game, then we have a gripe. Winning ugly and stupidly (and we surely did both tonight) is part of being a champion.

Look folks. We got a win. Beat the SEC yet again. On the road. National tv. We are still undefeated. We will still be #2 or #3 next week. I trust Dabo and the coaches even though I would have done a LOT of things differently tonight. Don't worry. They will fix these things. It will be okay. If we had lost the game, then we have a gripe. Winning ugly and stupidly (and we surely did both tonight) is part of being a champion.

Sep 4, 2016, 1:38 AM

I usually support Dabo 100%. HOWEVER... Bad call. Made NO sense and he needs to acknowledge. Kick the #### field goal and put the game away. I'm still in shock!

Clock management and making sure it was communicated to the

Sep 4, 2016, 1:38 AM

players.. fail... should have stayed in bounds on 3rd at all costs, then kicked as late as possible.

Bump for the 1:41 AM crowd...***

Sep 4, 2016, 1:41 AM

19-13.

is the snapper new? He almost snapped it over Seth Ryan's head

Sep 4, 2016, 1:41 AM

The previous FG and I bet he was the reason why hue gal screwed up the Xtra pt. my guess is dabo didn't want to tempt fate and screw up another snap. At least that's the first thing I thought when we lined up to go for it..

Re: is the snapper new? He almost snapped it over Seth Ryan's head

Sep 4, 2016, 1:51 AM

Yes. New snapper this year. Jim Brown graduated. He was really good.

Sep 4, 2016, 1:42 AM

If Huegel hadn't missed the extra point, I think the odds are better and maybe we go for the kick. But then again, if we make the FG and kick off, we have to rely on our special teams to not allow a long return ... and that's not really going in our favor these days either.

I was surprised that we didn't go for the kick, but either way, I'll certainly take an away with at Auburn to start the season!! Go Tigers!!!

Sep 4, 2016, 2:05 AM

But if Huegel makes the field goal, it wouldn't matter if Auburn would have returned the Kickoff for a TD. We get the ball back with a few seconds left on the clock, DW4 sits down on the snap, game over we still win without the high risk!!!

Bump for the 1:47 AM crowd...***

That was a CYA answer....

Sep 4, 2016, 1:50 AM

I love Dabo and would not trade him for any other coach,,,,but he was not thinking on the decision

Better answer would be, "I kick it, go up by 9, and now is impossible to lose."***

Sep 4, 2016, 2:04 AM

Bump for the 2:09 AM crowd...***

Sep 4, 2016, 2:09 AM

Sep 4, 2016, 3:05 AM

I have absolutely no problem with not kicking the field goal in that situation considering how tough it was for Auburn to get in the endzone all night. I DO have a HUGE problem with the decision to run Gallman on 3rd down the previous play. I COULD BELIEVE what I was seeing because unfortunately it's becoming a yearly ritual. They had no timeouts. Just have Deshaun drop to a knee (and pray our coaching staff reads Clock Management for Dummies) then on 4th down simply chuck the pigskin 20 rows up to waste away the last few seconds.

Voila!

A complete blunder, plain and simple.

Sep 4, 2016, 5:48 AM

And, It's not just the 4th down play. The end-game coaching, over the final 10 minutes, was questionable at best. This isn't the first time either. I love Dabo but I'll respect him way more if he admits his mistake, at least that would indicate that he's learning from it.

On a more positive note.... Venables is The Man, Mike is a Beast and Dex is an absolute Monster!

One down, 14 to go!!

Foolish

Sep 4, 2016, 6:35 AM

This is a cop out

He wasn't thinking

Sep 4, 2016, 7:02 AM

Longsnapper was having issues, we had already missed an extra point and almost did not get another kick on the spot for the kicker.

A 1st down wins the game, a made FG wins the game but a missed or blocked kick had more negatives than not making 1st down.

Dabo lacked confidence in long snapper

Sep 4, 2016, 8:22 AM

Credit holder Seth Ryan with 3 pts for taking high snap from center and teeing up ball for Greg Huegel to successfully kick Field goal. A high snap over Seth Ryan's head could have resulted in an Auburn TD and a loss.
I'm not bailing Dabo out. Special teams continue to suffer. Missed extra point and a long kickoff return by Auburn (that was called back by an Auburn penalty). Regardless, most coaches would have attempted the short field goal to put game out of reach.

"I had a brain #art..."- Dabo***

Sep 4, 2016, 8:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2016, 9:33 AM

I love dabo but hindsight shows that could have been a big mistake. A high probability field goal would have put it away.

I love Dabo, but he just had a brain cramp on that one.***

Sep 4, 2016, 10:22 AM

Sep 4, 2016, 11:07 AM

Dabo has the ultimate say, but don't forget that there are two offensive coordinators and a defensive coordinator providing well thought out input to Dabo in this instance. The recent FACTS of a missed extra point AND a high snap saved by Ryan likely factored into that decision as well. I'm sure that Dabo took all that information into account when he made his decision NOT to "attempt" the field goal.

Hindsight says it was the right decision since we won, but I sure sweated out every last nano-second of those 40 seconds!! :)

Sep 4, 2016, 11:29 AM

I'm with Dabo on this.

Weird stuff happens kicking at the end of the game at Auburn.

Screw that. Go for the sure win.

Sep 4, 2016, 11:47 AM

Bad coaching calls,lose ball games***** I'm just glad this one did not*

Sep 4, 2016, 12:04 PM

Gallman going out of bounds on 3rd down made Dabo flip and I think he lost his composure and didn't think soundly.

Not only that but how about that 4th down play call? We run it on 4th and medium? Against what some are calling the best d line in the nation? When we have the best QB in the land?

I couldn't believe what I was watching.

I really hope our offense was just trying to remain vanilla, but it almost cost us.

Sep 4, 2016, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Dabo Swinney on not kicking the FG at end of game ]

After sleeping on it (short night) outside of Auburn, this was the right decision. Long Snapper and kicker were questionable all night. The Seth save, the doink on the post, and the first kickoff out of bounds were the "odds" that Dabo was referring to without calling out any of his players. That is a good move (not naming names) from a great coach. Other than Legett, no one needed to be called out last night (where was his head last night? - don't answer that, I know where it was - he needs to not listen to the hype and play like last year! ). But, 2 things are clear. Despite Dabo's promises, special teams ain't fixed yet. The above, the long KO return that was saved by a penalty, and punting. Yes, a 59-yarder sounds great in the books until you learn that a 45-yarder would have pinned them at the 14. And, a 36-yarder? Come on. As for KO, yes Huegel had one in the end zone with the wind, but where are those 80% of his kicks in the end zone? I have an idea. Anybody see the kick off guy for Penn State yesterday? Must have weighed 350#. Can Christian or Dex kick? At least try it.

bump for the 12:07 crowd***

Sep 4, 2016, 12:07 PM

Gallman had the brain fart!

Sep 4, 2016, 3:44 PM

How can a senior running back who is supposed to be pretty good not know to stay in bounds on 3rd down! Can DeShaun or one of the coaches not remind him right before the play to stay in? We already had enough points to win--at that point run clock! Auburn would have only had about 10 seconds left on the game clock to go ~ 85 yards. They wouldn't have gotten anywhere near our goal line. I understand the point about bets/covering the spread, but that's the chance that gamblers take...

Also, I wonder if Dabo chewed out Gallman, Watson, or one of his coaches for that running out of bounds stupidity the way he chewed out Leggett during the game?! If I were the AD, I would have chewed out Dabo for almost losing the game. I agree that the odds were in favor of our defense, but why chance it?

If Auburn would have gone down and scored, this would be considered

Sep 4, 2016, 4:27 PM

one of the worst coaching decisions in history. Right up there with that Lion's coach who decided to kick off in OT.

Re: FB Update: Poor decision Dabo but...

Sep 6, 2016, 9:44 AM

I'd be a lot more concerned about getting that offense in gear after watching Louisville and FSU this past weekend. Gotta be a ton better against these teams that clearly have offenses that are going to put up a ton of points. By the way - where was Artavis Scott?!?

Replies: 106
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic