Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson University Trustees approve tuition increase
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson University Trustees approve tuition increase

Jul 20, 2018, 2:22 PM

Clemson University Trustees approve tuition increase

CLEMSON — The Clemson University Board of Trustees today approved a 1.75 percent tuition increase for in-state students, underscoring the university’s continued Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson University Trustees approve tuition increase

Jul 20, 2018, 5:29 PM

"Affordable"

Jul 20, 2018, 9:19 PM

Absolutely insane. Nickel and dime.

Jul 21, 2018, 9:42 AM

I graduated from Clemson and love the Tigers but the state of NC does a much better job of supporting the state colleges than SC. The tuition and fees at NC State and UNC are approximately $4500.00 per semester for in state students vs $7500.00 for Clemson and USUCK. If you want a real bargain Western Carolina has reduced their tuition to $500.00 per semester for in state and $2500.00 for out of state. This is through the NC Promise program where the state covers the difference. They are trying to attract student. The state of SC needs to step up and fund their colleges better.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2018, 5:26 AM

I certainly understand that budgets are typically earmarked for specific expenditures.....but didn't Clemson just publish a record fundraising year of over $156MM? They couldn't have found $20MM in that to not raise tuitions? And with television revenue pouring in from all sports they couldn't have found enough to offset meal cost increases? I'm all for everyone paying their fair share but seems like too much penny pinching going on for a major university.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I call BS..They left off the extra $2,000 fee increases in their calculations!

Jul 21, 2018, 6:06 AM

New packaging science students as well as many other programs are being assessed an extra $1,500 to $2,000 on top of tuition starting this fall resulting in a real increase of about 15% in the cost to attend Clemson! Why does this BOT and administration refuse to tell the whole story of what it actually cost to attend Clemson?

Re: I call BS..They left off the extra $2,000 fee increases in their calculations!

Jul 21, 2018, 9:22 AM

Because that would be like stepping out from behind a dark corner and screaming booo to an unsuspecting child, it would scare the chit out of them!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2018, 6:15 AM

Holy crap! With room and board out of state tuition is over $40,000 a year!!! $160,000 to go to a public school is insane. I guess the multiple raises per year and multi-year contracts that are renegotiated every year need to get the money from somewhere.

Jul 21, 2018, 9:57 AM

My son graduated in 2007 out of state with no debt....his education from 2002 to 2007 was about 120K with room/board.....the only reason he had no debt was the value of our home in MD..using a home equity loan to finance his education. Most of his friends have college debt. Most pay almost 1K per month after graduation and getting that first job. Tuition went from 16K out of state to over 32K from 2001 to he graduated in 2007.(You need to include room/board..airfare home) We never anticipated such an increase. I am happy he went to Clemson, but it was quite a financial burden. I can't imagine the cost it will be for young parents of today!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2018, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson University Trustees approve tuition increase ]

It is insane! And out of state is getting hit even harder with a higher % increase. $160k for a 4 year degree is ridiculous and not worth the investment. Sad to say as spoken from a graduate.

It is insane, but private school tuition is too.

Jul 21, 2018, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson University Trustees approve tuition increase ]

Private school tuition these days is $60,000+ a year.

You can thank the student loan industry for these insane increases in college tuition. Sadly, salaries have not paralleled that increase.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: It is insane, but private school tuition is too.

Jul 22, 2018, 2:59 PM

Nail on the head. Tuition starting getting oit of control when the gov started handing out loans like it was monopoly money. When times got hard in the 2000 schools didnt skip a beat because the gov was happy to loan money no questions asked. I still remember my teaching assistant days. The department would find a way to spend every dime of the budget because if they didnt they would get less money the following year. Now it seems like they are constantly starting new construction etc. The results are what you would expect if you gave my 16 yo daughter an AmEx black card and no restrictions.

Jul 21, 2018, 7:43 AM

I guess I will stay on the tugboat through May then ... after Clemson tuition for my daughter I won't have any money left over to go home on . Sigh .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 21, 2018, 9:23 AM

Bless your heart!!! ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2018, 6:05 PM

C/o 2002

If i remember correctly in state tuition was $1600 per semester in 1998 and $3500 per semester in 2002.

The Powerball lottery came to SC while I was at Clemson. It was sold to us that it would be like in Georgia where your school was pretty much paid for by the lottery. What a joke.

It’s crazy now.

Jul 21, 2018, 7:36 PM

This week I took my 17 yr old daughter to CU for her college visit. She is completely hooked on going to be a Tiger. As a 1991 grad, I couldn’t be happier. Even better, she has the grades and test score to get in! That’s the good news. However, we live in NC and after tuition room and board we’re looking at $47k per year! That’s approaching what I would pay for Wake Forest or Duke right here in NC. It’s ridiculous!! I think I paid $7k for out of state when I was a freshman in 1986. How do you tell your kid - sorry, I can’t let you be a Tiger, it’s too expensive!? Sad. Not sure how this can continue. In the spirit of full transparency, UNC Chapel Hill is now $50k all in for OOS.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, that is a lot more expensive than in State

Jul 21, 2018, 10:00 PM

at NCSU or any other NC university.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2018, 4:30 AM

The real reason tuition is so high is that no one holds higher education accountable for fiscal responsibility. These are public institutions. Do you know what an average professor makes? $126k a year. Sorry, but teaching a couple of classes a semester isn't a $126K job. Think about how many professors are on a campus. These are govt. employees. This is a huge price tag.

In addition, why is college still four years of requirements? Who is vetting the degree requirements? Ohhhhh Colleges are. How many classes did you take in college had nothing to do with your degree?

It's getting to a point where the value of a college degree isn't worth it. There's also the fact that much of the information you learn in college is outdated in less than a decade.

Something has to change.

Jul 22, 2018, 7:02 AM

100% right, government spending out of control and no accountability!

Jul 22, 2018, 7:20 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson University Trustees approve tuition increase ]

But wait, don’t the professors require new text books every semester ?? Absolutely they do because they get kick backs! When has math, English lit, etc changed is the last 10, 20, 30 years!! I’m sure higher level classes have new developments to justify maybe every 2-5 years but not every 6 months!

Since when do they teach more than 1 class a semester?

Jul 22, 2018, 7:28 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson University Trustees approve tuition increase ]

many don't teach at all, most only teach one class, plus they have graders for HW different graders for tests and TAs to answer questions for them (I'm speaking about engineering professors because that's what I know about) Research is done for them dirt cheap. Grad students make less than 30 grand a year and undergrad researches pay to work in the form of paying for research credits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To offer some alternate perspective here...

Jul 22, 2018, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson University Trustees approve tuition increase ]

“Professor” is a specific title, I’m not sure if you meant them in your statement above or if you were generally classifying all instructors. If generally, that number is inacurate; if specific, it represents a small fraction of the instructional staff.

Clemson Salary report page: https://www.clemson.edu/institutional-effectiveness/oir/data-reports/
(the parent page includes other various spending reports)

I’m not in this industry, but have friends that are and they don’t make me want to get into that field by any means. There is a large investment of non-classroom time that seems to be overlooked here.

Jul 22, 2018, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson University Trustees approve tuition increase ]

I would absolutely love for you to source your claim that the average professor makes $126K per year.

Re: 1966-1967 Costs to Attend Clemson from OOS

Jul 22, 2018, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson University Trustees approve tuition increase ]

I still happen to have my Student Handbook, "Announcements 1966-1967", and Tuition that I paid as an OOS student from MD was … are you ready? … $200 per semester. Matriculation Fee: $5.00; Maintenance and Activities Fee: $261.00; Medical Fee: $15.00; and Library Fee: $12.00. Johnstone Hall was $120.00 per semester.

Dining Hall meal ticket (3 meals per day from day of matriculation to day of graduation): $210. Commuters could purchase individual meal tickets: $.65 for breakfast, $.95 for lunch or dinner.

Total semester cost: $823.00!

My, my, my … how times have changed!

Jul 22, 2018, 6:23 AM

Fall of my soph. year at Clemson- 1977

tuition in state: $ 75
matriculation fee: $ 5
university fee: $290
Medical fee: $ 45
Johnstone: $265
7 day Meal plan: $320

Total: $1000

So, about $2000 annually.

Higher education spending is out of control and has been for many years.

Jul 22, 2018, 7:48 AM

I’m a Clemson hometown guy that graduated in 1985, but moved to Georgia since then. I’ve now put two sons through State of Georgia schools and tuition is much more affordable..... around $8,000 per year!
Our youngest is a die hard tiger fan and wanted to attend my Alma mater, but 4 years ago with tuition / room and board it was over $40K / year!
Clemson has lost perspective and I wonder where the hundreds of millions $$ in the recent fund raising campaign goes?
The legislature needs to step up with funding and perhaps Clemson U administration has lost touch with cost efficiency?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SMH...glad I don't have kids.

Jul 22, 2018, 1:22 PM

Go Tigers!

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic