Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
15 year old kicker question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,854

15 year old kicker question

Dec 6, 2019, 9:43 AM

My nephew is a pretty good soccer player, and is definitely good enough to play at a good college. He is an incredible athlete in anything he does. Over the weekend, he was saying how he thought he could easily hit field goals even though he has never tried. So, I took him out to the high school practice fields and had him kick for me to prove what he was saying. Off the grass with no tee (like they use in high school) he was hitting from both hashes consistently up to 40 years. At 40+ yards he was more sporadic, but hit several from both hashes.

So, my question is - how good is this for a kid with no practice or coaching, just lining up and kicking it?

Should he concentrate on kicking a football to get to college?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's excellent for a 15 year old. You don't say what the

Dec 6, 2019, 9:54 AM

nature of 'sporadic' was but reading between the lines I suspect it was his accuracy and not distance. Just a matter of practice/repetition really. Clemson has kicking camps and they pay attention to who is good. There are also kicking specific camps. My stepson went to this one..

http://www.kick-aid.com/

Re: 15 year old kicker question

Dec 6, 2019, 9:55 AM

I did both for a few years in high school and had the option to do both in college while choosing to play soccer instead of kick. I think it's wise to keep doing both and only specialize late in high school if at all. You can easily but a lot of effort into improving skills in both sports. I think specializing too early can be damaging.

Hitting from 40 is pretty good, but important factors are things such as speed of approach (likely much slower when in a field by yourself which helps improve distance/accuracy), what ball he was using - official size footballs are harder to kick.

Also - playing soccer will only help to improve his leg strength.

Dec 6, 2019, 9:55 AM

I would think he must be able to hit from 45 yards consistently in practice, when there is no pressure. Anything less and he probably would not be able to do it in front of 81,000 people and a television audience.

If he can kick the majority of kickoffs through the endzone

Dec 6, 2019, 9:58 AM

but only make about 50% of his FG attempts, he's apparently good enough to play for Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: If he can kick the majority of kickoffs through the endzone

Dec 6, 2019, 10:03 AM

Good point. With the way Clemson's offense and defense have been operating in recent years, strong special teams don't seem to be very necessary. Spiers gets off a 35 yarder and our defense stuffs the other guys. Or the other punter blasts one to our 10 yard line and our offense then covers 90 yards before you can blink an eye. Punter and field goal kicker? I don't need your stinking punter and field goal kicker.

Dec 6, 2019, 10:00 AM

Have him try out. If he can kick in the 25-40 consistently as you say, he'll be offered a spot on a school roster. The problem for a kicker at the HS level is getting an opportunity. I'd try to showcase him to the local coaches (not just his current school but other schools, public and private).

Dec 6, 2019, 10:02 AM

The first question would be what does he want to do? If he wants to play American Football, then take advise from the posts above. Also, his dedication and commitment to practice will be vital. If he wants it, he will find a way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2019, 10:12 AM

Auburn has the best kicking camp in the country. Clemson’s is good. Auburn - they bring in Hall of Fame / Super Bowl quality coaches.

Kicking is all about foot / head placement and muscle memory similar to golf.

Good luck...

Re: 15 year old kicker question - just let him be a kid

Dec 6, 2019, 10:13 AM

unless he really wants it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2019, 10:38 AM

40 yards is pretty good for what I am assuming is a high school freshman or sophomore.

As some have already said, it's much easier to take your time and kick as opposed to kicking with a rush and trying to get it off quickly.

In saying that, nobody in college goes and grabs kickers off the soccer team the way they used to because of the change in how scholarships must be awarded.

If he is going to have a chance to be a kicker in college, he will need to be a kicker in high school.

If it is something that he really enjoys and wants to pursue, have him start working on punting as well.

The more skills that a kid has, the better his chances of being given a shot at the next level.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,854
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic