Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
100-Year-Old Navy Vet Speaks on 75th Anniv of VJ Day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

100-Year-Old Navy Vet Speaks on 75th Anniv of VJ Day

Aug 10, 2020, 11:01 PM

Mickey Ganitch, age 100, is a WWII Navy veteran who witnessed the attack on Pearl Harbor and served all the way to the Battle of Okinawa and the signing of surrender documents by Japan - 75 years ago today - the day WWII officially ended. He was on with Martha MacCallum tonight.

Dec 7, 1941, he was perched 80 feet high in the crow's nest of his ship in Pearl Harbor feeding information to superiors on anything he could see as
Japanese planes dropped bombs and fired guns. Planes buzzed all around in every direction, sometimes so close Mickey said he could have hit them with rocks - had he had any to throw.

He continued to serve all the way to Aug 10, 1945, when the surrender was signed (and beyond). While the surrender ceremony was conducted, Mickey and his ship, which was torpedoed and nearly sunk at Okinawa, was slowly being towed to Guam.

Ganitch has volunteered ever since the war ended - helping veterans as a chaplain for the fleet and other duties. Today at 100, he still drives veterans to appointments. He could easily pass for a man in his 70s despite being a centenarian.

It does not appear there is any stopping Oakland's Mickey Ganitch anytime soon.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 100-Year-Old Navy Vet Speaks on 75th Anniv of VJ Day

Aug 10, 2020, 11:24 PM

What is sad is there are so few of these hero's left.Sadder is the % of the population that is either to young to remember,or could care less about the flag,or the anthem these guys fought for.

Aug 11, 2020, 12:25 AM

The greatest generation is leaving us so fast.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 11, 2020, 4:36 AM

Our collective memory about WW2 was it was about good vs evil. The problem with all the wars and conflicts that have come after it don't have that division.

Aug 11, 2020, 5:08 AM

I don't want this to sound like a "my country right or wrong " but once we're in a conflict , how can we not support the troops .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic