Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
10 unbeatens left, 8 more hanging by a very thin thread
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

10 unbeatens left, 8 more hanging by a very thin thread

Oct 13, 2019, 9:37 AM

Welp, here after Week 7 you can see just how hard it is to remain unbeaten in college football. There's just 10 unbeaten teams left:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. LSU
4. Ohio State
5. Oklahoma
6. Wisconsin
7. Penn State
8. Baylor
9. Minnesota (yes, really!)
10. SMU

After that, there's a handful of teams with 1 loss we could conceivably see pop up in the playoff discussion later...there are a few others (like Iowa) but I have it at 9 at least hald-serious contenders:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan (not that I believe they will really factor, because, well, Harbaugh)
3. Oregon
4. Utah
5. Arizona State
6. Mizzou (yes, again, really!)
7. Florida
8. Auburn
9. Notre Dame

So just for giggles let's whip out a pen and start marking teams off based on what we've seen thus far:

*Make fun of Clemson's schedule? Penn State has played Idaho, Buffalo, Pitt (barely won, 17-10), Maryland, Purdue...and they just squeaked out the ugliest of wins against Iowa. Eyeballing the stats sheet you can also see QB Sean Clifford was just 14 of 30 against Pitt and 12 of 24 (for just 117 yards, on a dry field in decent weather!) against Iowa...that ain't close to getting it done against anything resembling competition.

*Notre Dame's best win is a close loss against Georgia. That may not hold up well.

*That Penn State schedule looks like murderer's row compared to Baylor's. Stephen S. Austin, UTSA, Rice, Iowa State, Kansas State...and a double OT escape against Texas Tech. Rock on.

*More of same for Minnesota. Doesn't matter how much PJ Fleck scurries around the sideline like a hamster on Red Bull, they're unbeaten thanks to a cupcake early-season schedule and even then it's by the skin of their teeth - they barely survived San Diego state (28-21), Fresno State (38-35), Georgia Southern (35-32), and Purdue (38-31). It wasn't until they got into their B1G schedule they started boat-racing the real chumps like Illinois and Nebraska. They face three ranked teams in November...whereupon this Cinderella will turn back into a pumpkin.

*SMU is, well...SMU. Been awhile since the Pony Express was funded by Wells Fargo bags full of Texas oil money and they barely got out alive against Tulsa yesterday anyhow. And they play in the American Athletic, sort of a grab-bag of a conference composed of former WAC refugees and former independents; what they are is mostly the last Mid-Major squad left unscathed and even that is unlikely to last much longer.

So who's left?

Of the 1-loss squads still technically in it, we're going to have to see more than we've seen thus far. Can Georgia beat you when they can't run? Doesn't look like it. Ditto for Auburn. Florida's decent on both sides of the ball but hardly elite. Arizona State is playing inspired ball under Herm Edwards but they average just 73rd in total O and 92nd in scoring O, among other "meh" stats - "inspired" ain't the same thing as "good".

Utah is hard-nosed, well-coached, and tough, and has a slim chance of winning out and finishing 12-1, which would probably get them to the show, as does Oregon, who has that Week 1 loss against Auburn but is all and all an explosive offense paired with a solid D; I could see Oregon in it at the end, especially since they have what Utah doesn't have and that's top-tier talent.

But the true-blue dark horse right now? Mizzou. Yes, really. They lost a really weird opening-day game on the road way out in Wyoming - Wyoming! - but have quietly rolled everybody since, including South Carolina. And Kelly Bryant has actually been really good - 117 of 180 (65%) - for 1575 yards and 12 TD's against just 4 INT's, and as Clemson fans know, he can assuredly run. Plus Mizzou's D has been stifling - sixth in the country (just three spots behind Clemson!), allowing just 262.7ypg. I remain unconvinced they could actually beat Bama or LSU but they could still sneak into the SEC Championship Game if Georgia plays them as badly as they played South Carolina yesterday, especially since they get Florida at home.

So I see maybe 6 actual contenders among the unbeatens, and they are:
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. LSU
4. Ohio State
5. Oklahoma
6. Wisconsin

...and then six 5-1 squads, only one of which - Oregon - probably really has a truly serious shot of remaining standing at the end.
7. Oregon
8. Utah State
9. Georgia
10. Auburn
11. Mizzou
12. Notre Dame

The other unbeatens and 1-loss teams just aren't going to factor.

So that's really it. Those twelve.

What say you fellas? See anything I missed?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 10 unbeatens left, 8 more hanging by a very thin thread

Oct 13, 2019, 9:45 AM

App State and Boise State are also undefeated

Oct 13, 2019, 9:48 AM

mcdowecu said:

App State and Boise State are also undefeated

Whoops. You're right. Didn't leaf down far enough in the conferences; they play in the Mountain West and Sun Belt, respectively.

Solid Mid-Major squads...but even if they roll through unbeaten, do they get anything more than a New Year's Six bowl?

Oct 13, 2019, 9:46 AM

Good read. :)

I also see Boise State and Appalachian State unbeaten and should be added to your list.

SJT

Oct 13, 2019, 9:46 AM

It doesn't matter for the CFP but Boise State and App State are both still undefeated, so 12 total.

I also thought that Missouri could win the SEC Least and play for the SEC Championship, well not so fast I was told. They cannot play "any" post season game including the SEC Championship unless they win their appeal with the NCAA.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2019, 10:11 AM

Bingo, Missouri is a non-factor this year. I don't see anyway they get out of that postseason ban. Unless of course they pony up for UNCheat's lawyers...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2019, 10:19 AM

Bingo, Missouri is a non-factor this year. I don't see anyway they get out of that postseason ban. Unless of course they pony up for UNCheat's lawyers...

That's a very good point.

Be the height of irony if Mizzou won the East but couldn't represent because of that. Also weird.

Utah State?

Oct 13, 2019, 9:56 AM

I believe you mean U of Utah in your list of 6 - 1 loss contenders.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2019, 10:05 AM

Plus like 4 +

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 13, 2019, 10:26 AM

Notre dame is out with one loss and no conference championship

Oct 13, 2019, 10:29 AM

WRT Missouri, they are ineligible for post season. That said, last I looked they had the top ranked defence in the SEC. Also, Wyoming is pretty good and the game was early and on the road. Would love to see them win the East so we can hear the apologists spin that.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic