Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
10 Greatest QBs at Clemson since 1975:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

10 Greatest QBs at Clemson since 1975:

Apr 1, 2015, 9:06 AM

1. Steve Fuller
2. Tajh Boyd
3. Woody Dantzler
4. Homer Jordan
5. Charlie Whitehurst
6. Rodney Williams
7. Mike Eppeley
8. DeChane Cameron
9. Chris Morocco
10. Tie Kyle Parker Nealon Greene

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boyd can't be #2

Apr 1, 2015, 9:09 AM

0-4 against USC takes him down a couple of notches.

I would move him below Whitehurst and possibly Williams.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love ol TB but I have to agree with you! It is NOT just

Apr 1, 2015, 9:15 AM

another game and everyone needs to understand this!

TOTALLY agreed***

Apr 1, 2015, 9:18 AM

nm

I don't consider anyone All In until they realize this***

Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 AM

You're kidding right? I guess you're part of the crowd that

Apr 1, 2015, 9:26 AM [ in reply to TOTALLY agreed*** ]

would trade the Orange Bowl win or the 4th and 16, or the ACC Title for a victory over the coots.

Newsflash, this puts you in the same line of thinking as them.

Besides, if Tajh had of beat them, then no way what happened this year with DW4 happens and that "mythical story" that we'll be telling our kids and grandkids about forever never happens. If we beat SC at least once in TB's last 3 years, Swinney doesn't play Watson on a torn ACL to beat SC.

Why do we have to trade one for the other?

Apr 1, 2015, 9:39 AM

Why could it not be both? Beat USC once in your career and do all that other stuff as well.

You don't, but give credit where it's due. Even without a

Apr 1, 2015, 9:46 AM

win against SC not having Tajh Boyd in the top 5 of that list is ridiculous. Who by the way, also has 32 wins as the starting QB. Tied for most all time. With the guy the OP had 6th. Really???????

TB also had more opportunities to pile up Ws

Apr 1, 2015, 9:56 AM

with the new 12 game season, plus the conference championship games and the bowls.

TB did a whole lot for Clemson, but to put him at #2 while going 0-3 against South Carolina is ridiculous.

by the way I would have moved Homer Jordan to #2.

Technically Boyd 0-3, Parker 0-2 starts, but Agreed!***

Apr 1, 2015, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Boyd can't be #2 ]

nm

Not Technical....facts.......*****************

Apr 1, 2015, 9:26 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Boyd was definitely better than Whitehurst

Apr 1, 2015, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Boyd can't be #2 ]

I don't really care about the 0-4 vs 4-0 thing. Boyd would've gone 4-0 against USC from 2002-2005 also.

That probably doesn't have so much to do with him

Apr 1, 2015, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Boyd can't be #2 ]

as it does with how good the rest of our team was as well as how good the coots were. He doesn't get a free pass, but I think these kinds of things ("how many championships/games etc. did he win?") are way over rated as an indicator of how good a particular player is, even the QB. Football is a team sport, and while one great player can make a difference, losing doesn't mean they didn't; it may mean they weren't good enough to certain deficits and weaknesses of the rest of the team.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yea, Boyd should have won those games by HIMSELF!!!

Apr 1, 2015, 5:42 PM [ in reply to Boyd can't be #2 ]

ugh,

NM

Say What?!

Apr 1, 2015, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Boyd can't be #2 ]

I'd give somebody Fuller at #1. Or maybe Woody. But come on man, gotta give TB more love than that. He did a lot for this program, more-so than anybody except maybe Homer Jordan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see Will Proctor on your list...

Apr 1, 2015, 9:15 AM

an honest over sight I'm sure

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

The fact you got a guy that won 32 ball games as the starter

Apr 1, 2015, 9:17 AM

in 6th is a little low for me.

But disagree with the second poster about Tajh. Yeah, he didn't beat the coots, but he did give you an Orange Bowl win, 4th and 16, and an ACC title. Something Dantzler and Whitehurst never did.

Dantzler didnt have the supporting cast

Apr 1, 2015, 9:45 AM

Either....

Danztler and Homer would have won more games with those

Apr 1, 2015, 9:54 AM [ in reply to The fact you got a guy that won 32 ball games as the starter ]

teams and possibly a NC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You want to reread your sentence in regards to Homer?

Apr 1, 2015, 10:25 AM

nm

I guess I could have added that Homer could have won

Apr 1, 2015, 10:32 AM

another with that talent.

And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle

Apr 1, 2015, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Danztler and Homer would have won more games with those ]

Can't play the "what if" game. For one its apples to oranges and two, still discrediting what Tajh did

Geez, when you span 40 years it's all a what if game.

Apr 1, 2015, 9:02 PM

If you go by how well the team did, it would be:

1. Homer
2. Tajh
3. Rodney
4. Morocco
5. Eppeley

But,IMO, that ain't very accurate.

joe doesn't believe RODNEY is as talented

Apr 1, 2015, 5:44 PM [ in reply to The fact you got a guy that won 32 ball games as the starter ]

shoulda, woulda, coulda
Rodney just won.
one could argue that he had more talent around him.
Rodney just won.
it wasn't pretty.
Rodney just won.

Rodney would have started for B&L but maybe not

Apr 1, 2015, 8:43 PM

at ST.

Rodney was a standout QB at Irmo HS *******

Apr 2, 2015, 6:02 AM

I agree with #1 - you younger guys who didn't see Steve.....

Apr 1, 2015, 9:19 AM

Fuller play and the impact he had on turning our program around at that time may not realize just how good he was. That's why he's a charter member of the ROH.

It's hard to rate the whole list because so much of how good a QB is has to do with his O-line and receivers he has.

How about Stephen Garcia?

Apr 1, 2015, 9:41 AM

He completed as many passes to you taters as any of those non-SEC QB's.

Harrison Bailey looks like a lock to be G.O.A.T. .....

Apr 1, 2015, 9:51 AM

Should be our starter for the Wyoming game...

http://nsrfootball.com/youth-football/youth-all-american/7th-grade-co-2020/

Re: 10 Greatest QBs at Clemson since 1975:

Apr 1, 2015, 9:52 AM

Good list. I might slude Rodney up. His game wasn't pretty, but he just knew how to win.

Solid QB but played with more talent than any on the list

Apr 1, 2015, 9:55 AM

except Homer.

I'd probably go ahead and

Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 AM

put DW4 ahead of Parker. The one-legged #### kicking he gave the chickens elevates him in my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Apr 1, 2015, 10:54 AM

I would drop DeChane (never really like him) off the list and put Nealon at about 6 - really like Nealon. I would also put Charlie at 3. I think Morocco is underrated, but I think I might pull him and put Streeter on the list. Streeter was a bright spot in some relatively dismal years; he got beat to death and really played well.

I would give Patrick Sapp an honorable mention; he gets points for being a good linebacker.

I have mixed feelings and admitted ignorance about Tajh

Apr 1, 2015, 11:08 AM

vs. SCar. Did he just get rattled against them and blow it, or did our coaches fail in the gameplan? Also, how much of those losses is on the D not being able to stop C. Shaw? My inclination is that TB would have won a couple of those games with some help from the D especially. For that reason, I'm ok with him being in the top 3 to 5 despite his dismal record against SCar.

I like the list. You evaluated the QBs based largely on

Apr 1, 2015, 11:14 AM

ability and not old white guy stats like winning %, and grit, and a "will to win" and all that other garbage. But Rodney Williams won 32 games! He also played on the most talented stretch of teams we've ever had at Clemson.

Apr 1, 2015, 11:15 AM

Not to be the guy that brings this up in the discussion, BUT what do you define as greatness? Winning the most games? Winning the most titles? Best leader? Best physical skills? Transforming the program? Best role model? There are so many definitions of greatness in sports, that's why this argument could go on forever.

Winning matters as a team or as a coach who is in

Apr 1, 2015, 11:21 AM

control of the entire program, but you can't hold one player responsible for the outcome of a sport where 22+ players are making large contributions.

For better or worse.......

Apr 1, 2015, 11:22 AM

That is what everyone does with QBs and Head Coaches.

The get the most credit when things are going well and the most blame when things are going bad.

Just the nature of the beast.

This is tough because some of these guys were great

Apr 1, 2015, 11:18 AM

in their time, playing on the teams they did and running the offense they ran; but they may not be nearly as good in another era or running a different offense. Charlie Whitehurst was probably the most NFL-ready QB we've ever had (or maybe Fuller), but he would have been pretty limited in an offense that required a mobile QB. On the other hand, Homer Jordan was a great leader and very effective on the option/run-oriented teams under Danny, but would struggle tremendously on a team that threw the ball 30 times a game.

If I were going to build a football team, for today's college game, I would rank them like this:

1. Fuller
2. Boyd
3. Whitehurst
4. Dantzler
5. Parker
6. Eppley
7. Streeter
8. Jordan
9. Williams
10. Morocco

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Are these in alphabetical order b/c Boyd sucked***

Apr 1, 2015, 11:30 AM

What!?!?!?!?!?

Apr 1, 2015, 11:31 AM

You can't be serious. Yes he went 0-3 against South Carolina (like I brought up), but in no way shape or form did Boyd "suck".

Someone put Boyd below Whitehurst?

Apr 1, 2015, 11:46 AM

Are you insane? I think Boyd at #2 is pretty close to accurate. Whitehurst beat SC but never won more than 9 games. Boyd won 10, 11, and 11. He changed the momentum and future of the program. I think he should be in the ring with Fuller.

Remember

Apr 1, 2015, 11:49 AM

Whitehurst played when there were only 11 games on the schedule, plus no conference championship game.

Re: Remember

Apr 1, 2015, 12:30 PM

Whitehurst was good, but he was not great. His era was the most we had ever thrown the ball. That's why his numbers stacked up. He was not nearly the player Boyd was. Boyd's teams at Clemson go 4-0 or 3-0 (as starter) against those SC teams Charlie beat and Whitehurst's Clemson teams prob go 0-3 or 0-4 against the SC teams that Boyd lost to. It was a different era. Yes, Boyd never beat them, but South Carolina was a top 10 highest point in their history team in the Boyd era. They were mediocre in the Whitehurst era. Boyd was the better player and much higher in CU history and I don't really think it is close.

I understand your logic

Apr 1, 2015, 1:23 PM

I don't agree with some of it, but I understand where you are coming from.

My opinion is that if you put Whitehurst on Boyd's teams, we beat South Carolina once or twice. But we will never know. Both of them are firmly inside Clemson's top 10 QBs of all time.

Yeah we all remember.. We also remember that Charlie

Apr 1, 2015, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Remember ]

could have won more games. He could have hit a wide open Stuckey where the closest person to him was in the first row of the stands against Miami.

He and the team couldn't have sh!t the bed against Duke in '04 right after beating Miami.

Maybe, just maybe could have won that 45-17 a$$ kicking Wake Forest put on us in '03.

When he beat Wake in '04 he could have won at least 1 of the next four instead of dropping all four. How many times in Tajh Boyd's career he lose 4 games in a row? How many times he lose 2 in a row?

Point is, Boyd was/is a better COLLEGE quarterback than Whitehurst. And I'm a huge Whitehurst supporter. Love the fact that he was the coot killa, and will forever have a special place in my heart for that beating he took against Texas Tech. Yeah, lost that one too.

Hey, speaking of beatings. Tajh Boyd got his a$$ whipped all night against LSU. He kept getting up too, and oh yeah, he won that game.

Yep, old Saxon alphabet used though***

Apr 1, 2015, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Are these in alphabetical order b/c Boyd sucked*** ]

Apr 1, 2015, 5:34 PM

Don't care what you say, Homer Jordan is #1 until some one else wins us a National Championship.

#1- Boyd...#2-Woody...#3-Whitehurst

Apr 1, 2015, 5:41 PM

will round out the top 5 with Fuller and Greene

Apr 1, 2015, 8:56 PM

1. Steve Fuller
2. Homer Jordan
3. Rodney Williams
4. Charlie Whitehurst
5. Woody Dantzker
6. Deshaun Watson
7. Tajh Boyd
8. Mike Eppeley
9. DeChane Cameron
10.Chris Morocco

Apr 2, 2015, 9:50 AM

Deshaun is not "greater" right now than Boyd is. He most likely WILL be the greater player, but right now there is no way he is "greater" than Boyd. Yes he did beat the coots and Boyd never did, but the body of work between the two is not close to be comparable right now....

Apr 2, 2015, 12:20 PM

Pretty good list right there, although I'd switch Greene for Cameron!

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic