Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Four talented QBs, one football: Jeff Scott says it's a "good problem to have"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

New Story: Four talented QBs, one football: Jeff Scott says it's a "good problem to have"

Apr 9, 2018, 7:01 AM

Four talented QBs, one football: Jeff Scott says it's a "good problem to have"

There are dozens of teams across the country that head into the 2018 season with one quarterback they feel good about. Many more are hoping to find one guy they can depend on. Many teams would consider it a luxury to have two quarterbacks they would trust in a game. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

?? “Good problem to have.” Man it’s great to be a Tiger!***

Apr 9, 2018, 7:07 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ?? “Good problem to have.” Man it’s great to be a Tiger!***

Apr 9, 2018, 7:26 AM

I’ve got the confuse. Always heard that if you have 2 Qb’s, you have none. What does 4 mean?

Apr 9, 2018, 8:19 AM

I am confused also. It sounds good to have 4 quarterbacks right now but in the fall it’s going to get real. Talented guys don’t like riding pine.

Apr 9, 2018, 8:27 AM

They might not like riding the pine, but how they respond makes them a better player. DW4 responded great an continued to improve....... I think the benches are aluminum?

Apr 9, 2018, 9:17 AM

I believe that saying if you have 2 quarterbacks you have none refers to teams that rotate 2 quarterbacks series by series in games. I would be surprised to see that from Dabo and Co. He has said all along there will be a #1. And I’ve been saying all along that this is going to be fun to watch!! I still have faith in the guys with the big shiny rings. GO TIGERS!!!!!

^What rhettfla said^***

Apr 9, 2018, 10:04 AM

Apr 9, 2018, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: ?? “Good problem to have.” Man it’s great to be a Tiger!*** ]

Hope it means that we end up with two really great ones!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You would think with oculus and building ops center etc

Apr 9, 2018, 8:31 AM

That we could afford more than one football. It would be nice for each of them to have one in case they want to practice. If they have to share one football it probably limits their number of snaps they can practice. I’m a touch disappointed in Dabo for letting it get this bad.

I was pretty disappointed as well to read that.

Apr 9, 2018, 8:40 AM

Hopefully that isn't used against us in recruiting.

Re: You would think with oculus and building ops center etc

Apr 9, 2018, 8:49 AM [ in reply to You would think with oculus and building ops center etc ]

You are so right, give each of them a ball. Plus, I've been wondering, since we are so deep, is there any rule against Clemson fielding 2 complete teams? That would help solve some of these decisions. To truly win our opponents would have to beat both teams.

Great idea we could call one of them varsity and one junior varsity

Apr 9, 2018, 9:18 AM

But I bet varsity would be too deep and jv would be a touch shallow

Apr 9, 2018, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: You would think with oculus and building ops center etc ]

Ha! We might end up playing ourselves in the playoffs!

Apr 9, 2018, 9:26 AM [ in reply to You would think with oculus and building ops center etc ]

Yep, with all the money our coach's make, each one of them should go out and buy at least two new footballs each!!!;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not buying it...

Apr 9, 2018, 9:20 AM

The coaches may be excited and I believe Dabo has told these kids that the best man plays.

However, this QB situation has the potential to be a s--t show.

It could manifest itself following spring practice when and if Dabo names a starter (by all accounts it's KB). There is no way that Dabo can name KB as his started and have the heir apparent TL listed 2nd string or co-2nd string and expect to keep HJ and CB on the team. Especially when he's saying that all four can win games. HJ and CB are good QBs and want to start/play and neither will be happy to finish out their career on the bench. One or both will depart and that may be at the end of the spring practice to preserve at least part of their eligibility.

We might have a lot of QB depth at the moment but it could easily disappear by the start of the 2019 season.

Dabo has done a great job of identifying talent and managing this team to a bunch of wins. However, I believe he exposed a flaw with this team and has not corrected it. KB is decent QB, not good and definitely not great. KB wants to be Cam-Cool but that dancing and "coolness" before the Bama game quickly faded when it was time to perform. I know, blame the OL for lack of blocking but the Bama D had a game plan based on KB's inabilities and it made our OL look bad. And I'm still dumbfounded by the Syracuse game. Was HJ that much behind that Cooper was put in after KB was hurt? And just to be a conspiracy theorist, did Dabo not play HJ because he knew it would create a QB controversy?

To pick on KB, here are the questions to ask. Can KB make the throws? Yes. Can he make the throws when they are needed and the game is on the line? No, not based one what we saw last year and especially what we saw against Bama. Down field passing was missing. His screen/bubble passes were never in a location that allowed the WR to catch the ball and run (many times had to reach or adjust to the ball). We know he's not DW but when the game is on the line you want to know you can win. I look back to the NC game against Bama. My daughter was in tears when Hurts scored and there was only 2 mins to go. I asked her. How many times has DW scored at the end of the half with less than 2 mins? Would you have the same confidence in KB?

Based on what you saw last season, do you believe KB is going to win us a NC?

Do you believe that both HJ and CB are going to stay for four years if KB is the starter and TL is listed as the heir apparrent?

Your crystal ball is spinning too fast this morning. Might

Apr 9, 2018, 9:34 AM

want to apply some brakes or for Dabo’s job one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I made no hard predictions based on my crystal ball...

Apr 9, 2018, 10:17 AM

I stated the potentials and what might be expected from a cause and effect.

There are 4 young men who came to Clemson with the intent of starting at the QB position. If it becomes obvious that one or two may never achieve that goal, why would they remain at Clemson when there are other schools looking for a starting QB?

Re: I made no hard predictions based on my crystal ball...

Apr 9, 2018, 11:42 AM

I agree, it basically comes down to TL. If he solidifies the backup job or even takes over at starter this season. There's no quest HJ and/or CB will look to transfer. I think we can hang on to one of them. But that's part of what happens when you have to much talent at one position. If a Fresh or Soph jumps a Jr/SR, chances are they are leaving.

Re: Your crystal ball is spinning too fast this morning. Might

Apr 9, 2018, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Your crystal ball is spinning too fast this morning. Might ]

I agree. All of this assumes KB will not improve. If he has reached his ceiling, maybe it is time for a change. Then again.....

Re: I'm not buying it...

Apr 9, 2018, 9:56 AM [ in reply to I'm not buying it... ]

People can't help what reactive thoughts that come to mind when they see or hear something. At the end of the Cuse game, the #1 question going on in my mind was, Did Dabo not play HJ because he knew it would create a QB controversy? That question is still there in my mind.

We may lose one of our QBs, perhaps both.

Apr 9, 2018, 11:02 AM [ in reply to I'm not buying it... ]

I don't think it's as dramatic as you're presenting it. Here's the situation, we have four really talented QB and one is a potential NFL franchise quality. Do the math.

I don't know why you'd say it's a chitshow. It's natural to churn if you want butter or thresh if you're reaping wheat. There's a process to everything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We may lose one of our QBs, perhaps both.

Apr 9, 2018, 3:19 PM

There has been a few cases that the #1 QB and the #2 both were drafted to the NFL in the same year bc the #2 got some good exposure during the season bc of injury to the #1 that had to sit out a few games and the team didn't miss a step with #2, but that don't happen all that often bc most teams only have one #1 and a #2 that can only start bc of an injury to the #1!!! Could both TL or HJ get drafted if one was the back up to the other, or if Chase was the back up. That would be a tough question to answer even knowing that all 3 of those guy could be great starting college QBs!!!

QB position is by seniority

Apr 9, 2018, 11:43 AM [ in reply to I'm not buying it... ]

That's why they keep saying that they can win with any of the 4 players.

Win what?

Excellent question.

Apr 9, 2018, 12:22 PM

We have proven that we can win the ACC and make the playoffs with KB, but we have not proven that we can win a national championship with him. Part of our problem last year was that our OL and our WRs were both inconsistent. That was not KB's fault. Still, KB showed a great ability to run but a mediocre ability to complete medium and deep passes. That has to change if we want to beat teams like Alabama.

I agree with you, we must define what we want to win in order to determine if KB or any other QB on our roster is the man to get us there.

The ideal scenario would be for KB to dramatically improve his passing so that we are truly a pass-first offense, rather than a run-first offense. But chances are that his passing will never get to the level of Johnson and Lawrence, and his experience and familiarity with our offense will only get him so far. I do think he will improve his passing ability, but not to their level.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Excellent question.

Apr 9, 2018, 12:51 PM

Ideal would be HJ starts, KB & CB back up, TL redshirts. Possible to keep 3 of the 4 in that scenario.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

There's a very real possibility of that scenario playing out

Apr 9, 2018, 3:00 PM

Most people talk like it's KB vs TL but I think it's more likely that Hunter Johnson is the one that could take over as staring qb. It's his 2nd year in the system so he knows the playbook by now, and unlike Brice or TL he has some experience playing. KB would almost certainly be 2nd string if Hunter beats him out, then they would play Brice 3rd and redshirt TL.

Re: There's a very real possibility of that scenario playing out

Apr 9, 2018, 3:46 PM

If this happens, I honestly believe we can kiss TL good bye bc, if this happens, he will see a possible chance that our coaches will keep HJ as the starter bc of his experience and him only becoming the starter in his senior season. TL will not sit and wait for that to play out, and our coaches know this!!!

Apr 9, 2018, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Excellent question. ]

he had some big runs but his running ability was overrated imo

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2018, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Excellent question. ]

Just like I have said in another post a while back, DW4's talent and skill took a NCG right out of the hands of Bama when they knew they had won the game, and he did it with basically the same OL that KB had. The
statement that DW4 made to his offense before marching them down the field for the win. He said to his offense guys, they left us to much time on the clock. He knew that he could win that game, and he did in a spectacular history making fashion. In no way do I or anyone else will ever believe that KB could have won that game!!!

Apr 9, 2018, 1:51 PM [ in reply to I'm not buying it... ]

that's a heck of a argument. I may get blasted but I think you are spot on. HJ and CB can probably start at 95% of all colleges. I think HJ was the best qb last year and should have played more. His passes were more accurate and he could move the ball. I hate we have this embarrassment of riches rich now. Would have been nice if TL was class 2020.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2018, 2:06 PM [ in reply to I'm not buying it... ]

KB win a NC? In a word, no.

Apr 9, 2018, 5:45 PM [ in reply to I'm not buying it... ]

I basically agree, but not 100% on board with the "chit show" angle.

For me it is simple as this; Q: Will KB play QB in the NFL? A: No - not a chance.

The coaches should turn him into a WR or better yet, a TE. That way he can really help the team on the field this year, reduce the chance of us losing a possible NFL-caliber QB to transfer AND have a shot at a real NFL future.

But Dabo knows best - and I still trust him.

Apr 9, 2018, 11:00 PM [ in reply to I'm not buying it... ]

If Wisconsin had held on against Ohio State, KB would have probably already won one.

KB ran into the best defense in the country playing their best game of the season. We also had our best deep threat get hurt on the first drive. Not many QBs are going to have success against that.

Re: New Story: Four talented QBs, one football: Jeff Scott says it's a "good problem to have"

Apr 9, 2018, 11:37 AM

When they say that they can win with any of the four, they are telling us that KB is good enough to win games with.

So basically they are saying KB will start and the other guys are just going to make him better. Just don't play a top ten team.

Every game has four quarters --- so this should work

Apr 9, 2018, 5:05 PM

and set some kind of record book sort of thing.

Our defense allowed 10 points against Bama

Apr 9, 2018, 7:27 PM

Our offense scored 6 and gave away 14 to Bama. The game against them was much closer than most remember and minus a couple of horrible drops/tips the game could have a different outcome.
Dabo played conservative because it was that kind of game. The OL made mistakes and the TE's made mistakes, RB's made mistakes, WR's made mistakes and QB made mistakes but this game wasn't Kelly Bryant's fault. The offense equally all made mostly blocking mistakes and that was the cause for the loss.

I believe the whole team was good enough to beat Bama last year but failed to play their best as several of the guys coming back stated.

We are good enough to win another title this year with any of the QB's and I trust the man who built the program more than any other coach to give us the best chance.

We are so blessed to have Dabo who's drive to win consistently the right way is the best ever!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: Our defense allowed 10 points against Bama

Apr 9, 2018, 7:54 PM

first half playcalling was a poo show too

you have to take some chances

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2018, 9:13 PM

They didn't take chances, why do you think the reasons were???

Apr 9, 2018, 9:34 PM

Exactly. You can't take chances when your QB is really just a big RB running the wildcat. It also puts a ton of pressure on all of the other offensive players since the defense can load the box knowing there is no passing threat.

Apr 9, 2018, 9:57 PM

And why some still refuse to see the very reason that Bama loaded the line the whole game is a huge mystery to me. Nick Saban was convinced that loading the box against us was a sure win for them. His game plan was to not allow us to score a TD against them for pay back of DW4 beating them in the last 2 minutes of the from a kick off. Nick Saban wanted to punish us, and did!!!

Apr 9, 2018, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Our defense allowed 10 points against Bama ]

I don't think that there is a Clemson fan in Tiger Nation that would like to see Dabo leave Clemson. I know that it would cause me to be a very sad man for a very long time if he left us, but in that same sentence I will say that Dabo isn't perfect and without any faults. Even the very best at any level at any job isn't perfect or without faults!!!!

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic