Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: It's Death Valley. And It Means Business
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

New Story: It's Death Valley. And It Means Business

Jun 3, 2015, 8:25 AM

It's Death Valley. And It Means Business

Following Clemson’s NCAA Regional loss to Pepperdine that ended the Tigers’ baseball season, Nikki and I had two days to kill before the return flight to Atlanta, and there was one destination on the map that kept calling to me: Death Valley.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1...***

Jun 3, 2015, 8:33 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: +1...***

Jun 3, 2015, 4:58 PM

My son(Clemson Grad ) Went to Death Valley, and brought me back a rock. I now have my own Rock to rub before our games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: It's Death Valley. And It Means Business

Jun 3, 2015, 9:09 AM

and the field is below Lake level.

Jun 3, 2015, 9:57 AM

Nice write up.

Jun 3, 2015, 9:58 AM

terrific article!

Let's get some scorpions to protect The Rock!***

Jun 3, 2015, 10:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2015, 10:37 AM

@davidhood

I hope you brought some other "rocks" back with you for possible future replacements should someone actually succeed in destroying the real one.

Just think, the new rock would be

"Dabo's Rock... from David Hood"

The old story goes that way back in 2015, even before Death Valley Memorial Stadium was expanded to hold 140,000, someone stole Clemson's prized Howard's rock but luckily a local columnist named David Hood brought Coach Dabo Swinney a new rock that came straight from Death Valley, CA.

Mr Hood recounts those days,
"Yes I was covering all Clemson sports back then and I went out to California for a baseball regional. The team was eliminated early so we went out to Death Valley and I thought, I better bring a few extra rocks back. I gave one to Coach Swinney and he said, 'Oh just throw that over in the corner, we won't need anything like that'. He actually used it for a door stop for a while but then Howard's rock went missing so it came in handy."

"Dabo's Rock from David Hood" went on to see 3 National Championships come to Clemson in the next 5 seasons after it was placed there.

Jun 3, 2015, 4:50 PM

Good analogy for the future.

Jun 3, 2015, 2:55 PM

I'm wondering how much were the fees to get in and are there any patrols in Death Valley should you have car trouble in that heat.

With that heat anything could go wrong with a car or someone health.

Did you drive from one end of Death Valley to the other, if so how long did it take or is there a route you take through the Valley and see lots of the attractions and then get you back out before dark.

Jun 3, 2015, 4:43 PM

A couple of years ago, I was researching to find the earliest printed reference to Clemson's stadium as Death Valley (in old newspapers, game day programs, etc). In doing so, I contacted Coach Mcmillan's daughter to see if she had anything. She did not, but she did tell me an interesting story: She said that in 1932, Coach Mcmillan got in his 1930 Model A Ford and drove to the Olympic Games being held in Los Angeles. On they way he stopped off to visit at--you guessed it-- the real Death Valley.

So when Coach McMillan coined the term for our stadium a decade or so later, he knew what he was talking about.

Jun 3, 2015, 10:34 PM

David & Nikki,
Great story! I felt like I was there with you guys as I read it so intently. Very interesting. Thank you!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic