Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Order your Clemson ice cream online nationwide
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

TNET: Order your Clemson ice cream online nationwide

Aug 15, 2020, 12:15 PM

Order your Clemson ice cream online nationwide

CLEMSON — Clemson University ice cream holds sweet memories for Kathleen “Kat” Miller Vinson and now that she lives thousands of miles away, a new online orderi Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Order your Clemson ice cream online nationwide

Aug 15, 2020, 12:32 PM

Great idea, but way too expensive and poorly implemented. Hit the link with the full intention to buy it, but the deal is:

1) Buy a pre-selected 6-pack (2 orange, 2 purple, 1 chocolate chip, 1 cookies and cream) - no options. Want vanilla? Too bad.
2) Pay $32 for the ice cream... Plus $24 for the packing supplies... Plus $33 for shipping. So, about $90.
3) It doesn't ship right away, you need to wait until "the week of Sep 7".

So for $90, you get 6 pints in a month of flavors you don't pick.

Look, I LOVE Clemson Ice Cream. Used to get it all the time back in the day. I was ready to spend a large amount to get it. But if they say that they "are running this like a real business", then they need to understand how businesses really work, and figure out a better system. This is absurd. If I'm going to pay $90 ($15/pint), at least let me pick my flavors, and ship it immediately. This just feels lazy.

Different point of view

Aug 15, 2020, 12:40 PM

I have twin daughters who had a birthday in July. so I sent them each an order in July and another in August (which they just received). I also sent a package of lobster rolls from McLoons in Maine. I thought that since I couldn't take them to lunch due to Covid, I could at leas send lunch to them. They loved it.

So, that's 4 orders I've bought and I'm thinking about ordering some more. The students are doing their best to try to save that business and I don't mind trying to help them. At least they're working at something that will help them build experience as they learn to cope with real-world business problems. I'd rather help their effort than give them a check to sit on their butts looking for a handout from the taxpayers

Agreed. However.... (and I’m not trying to be negative here)...

Aug 15, 2020, 1:28 PM

It may be a better business lesson for them to figure out how to cut the costs a little and still be able to ship the ice cream.

In any case, I wish them the best of luck.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed. However.... (and I’m not trying to be negative here)...

Aug 15, 2020, 1:40 PM

I would imagine they have tried to get the costs as low as possible, given the challenge of shipping a perishable product. All of the on-line food sellers have the same problem. You should see the price of lobster rolls shipped from Maine.

This stuff is packed in a styrofoam cooler with dry ice and shipped next day FedEx in order to be in edible condition on arrival. That ain't cheap.

So, those who think it can be done cheaper should contact the '55 Exchange and explain how. They are looking for - and asking for - help from Clemson supporters. The information would allow them to lower the price and sell more ice cream since the cost reduction would make everyone happy who now think it's too expensive.

I'll bet they would be very appreciative.... :)

I get it.

Aug 15, 2020, 1:50 PM

I’m just saying...that’s what they would tell them on Shark Tank ??

Re: I get it.

Aug 15, 2020, 3:09 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Different point of view

Aug 15, 2020, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Different point of view ]

I don't disagree that some folks (like yourself, or like I was attempted to) will buy it just for nostalgia. That said, what they are doing is effectively asking for a hand-out, not running a real business at all, as they aren't attempting to:

A) Provide a good at a reasonable cost (too expensive), or
B) Provide an exceptional service for a premium cost (poor service in not shipping soon or picking your flavors)

This would cause any "normal" business to close their doors. If they want to learn a real lesson, they need to knuckle down and change their model. Want to charge a high price ($90) - great! Provide $90 of service. Pick any flavor, ship it immediately. Want to streamline operations and cut costs by introducing efficiencies in choice and shipping dates - great! Cut the price.

Pick any flavor?

Aug 15, 2020, 5:24 PM

This point is easily criticized (as is the price) and I suspect (like the price), there is a good reason.

You see, the website user interface for orders is really bad - and they know it. I complained about this to the faculty adviser on my first order - and much more pointedly than what you're doing here. He explained that they need to change web order services but it has to be approved by the University and there is little sense of urgency on the part of the University. In fact, the University isn't even delaying demand for building rent, which seems really stupid to me, after it was the University who told them to close the doors.

You see, everything that's wrong isn't necessarily the fault of students who don't know how to run a business, because (according to some) if they did, the price would be cheaper and you could choose your own flavors.

If any of you don't want to buy it, no one is twisting your arm, but at least give the students credit for trying to save a Clemson tradition and trust that they know they have problems and are dealing with them as best they can with what they have to work with.

Re: Pick any flavor?

Aug 15, 2020, 5:39 PM

Definitely a TU for this explanation, thanks for passing this along.

Sounds like they're effectively being handcuffed by the capabilities of the University at this point. It's a shame - what a great opportunity to teach the kids what they can do in adverse situations!

Re: Pick any flavor?

Aug 15, 2020, 5:43 PM

Definitely a TU for this explanation, thanks for passing this along.

Sounds like they're effectively being handcuffed by the capabilities of the University at this point. It's a shame - what a great opportunity to teach the kids what they can do in adverse situations!

That's exactly right - and thank you for recognizing what they're up against and their effort in trying to find a solution so we can have Clemson ice cream in the future.

Aug 15, 2020, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Different point of view ]

Absolutely, what they are doing would be no different than the grocery store saying you can buy 5 pounds of grits, but to do so, you have to buy a dozen eggs, a pack of bacon, and a loaf of bread, or you can't buy the grits. It's the same thing, and IMO, it's a form of extortion!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2020, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Different point of view ]

I have twin daughters who had a birthday in July. so I sent them each an order in July and another in August (which they just received). I also sent a package of lobster rolls from McLoons in Maine. I thought that since I couldn't take them to lunch due to Covid, I could at leas send lunch to them. They loved it.

So, that's 4 orders I've bought and I'm thinking about ordering some more. The students are doing their best to try to save that business and I don't mind trying to help them. At least they're working at something that will help them build experience as they learn to cope with real-world business problems. I'd rather help their effort than give them a check to sit on their butts looking for a handout from the taxpayers

Great, most of us can’t dump 500 on ice cream but I take nothing away from you doing it, hope they all enjoy it.

Posters points still stand.

Aug 15, 2020, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Order your Clemson ice cream online nationwide ]

If correct, that is ridiculous. Better to just make a donation and do this. Run it like a REAL business.

Aug 15, 2020, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Order your Clemson ice cream online nationwide ]

If correct, that is ridiculous. Better to just make a donation and do this. Run it like a REAL business.

Aug 15, 2020, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Order your Clemson ice cream online nationwide ]

Wait...so it cost more to ship the ice cream than to buy it?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, that’s crazy.

Aug 15, 2020, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Order your Clemson ice cream online nationwide ]

Or, I can order premium ice cream on Amazon Fresh for way less, and it will be at my door in a few hours.

I’m all for supporting Clemson, but that’s an unjustifiable cost.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Wow, that’s crazy.

Aug 15, 2020, 1:55 PM

You mean like Brownell's salary?

The all-time winningest coach in program history

Aug 15, 2020, 3:13 PM

with:

-the best ACC winning percentage in program history
-the only victory in Chapel Hill
-one of only three Sweet 16 teams in school history
-the best graduation rate in program history
-a top 20 recruiting class this year

says otherwise.

Hopefully you’ll support him and the team regardless.

Re: The all-time winningest coach in program history

Aug 15, 2020, 5:26 PM

I will support the team, but to qualify the accomplishments with the descriptor "in history" ain't saying so much.

Aug 15, 2020, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Order your Clemson ice cream online nationwide ]

There is nothing that stresses me more than a company to tell me how I have to spend "My Money" in order for me to purchase something from them whether I want, or like what choices they demand that I purchase just to purchase a certain something that I do want and like.

Everytime that has happen in my life time, they have made it so easy for me to decline spending a single penny with them. I flat out refuse to allow anything or anybody make me buy something I don't want so that I can get what I do want. They can take their products and shove it up their stinking A$$ES, bc I will never kiss their A$$ just to do business with them.

It's the weakness in some that allows people to extort them and get away with BS such as that. Extortion is Extortion even if it's done in a legal or illegal form, and I've never in my life been that weak minded even if they had some of the best working or best tasting product on the face of earth, I will forever refuse to show weakness and allow myself to be extorted like that in any situation, even if it's for the best ever product, especial when it comes to being told how I can or can't spend my hard "earned" Money with them as in buying what I don't want just to be able to get what I do want ... Screw that Ice cream, and screw the ice cream makers!!!! Nuff said!!!!! ;) ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2020, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Order your Clemson ice cream online nationwide ]

If you can't afford it you don't have to buy. If you think it's too expensive, you don't have to buy. If you think there is value in supporting the 55 Exchange during these tough times and the aforementioned "issues" do not apply then you can. I don't see a problem here. They lay out the costs and stipulations associated with the purchase so either do or don't. Unfortunately the way businesses "really work" has "really" been taxed due to COVID and many previously successful businesses are struggling. Evidently these "lazy" students think they can keep the business going if they can average 100+ orders a month at these levels. If they cannot then I imagine they will try something else or be forced to close. "It is what it is" I guess.

I just placed an order and am going to see if there is a way to ship back the cooler so that they can potentially reuse it.

Aug 15, 2020, 12:53 PM

Would love too but on the USPS delivers where i live. So sorry students, I can't.

Aug 15, 2020, 2:39 PM

I purchase the ice cream for $6 a pint at Cease Farm Peach packing shed near Lexington,S.C.
Mmmmmm good!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2020, 2:49 PM

Excuse me, it's Sease Farms.
Also selling delicious boiled peanuts(including jumbo) as well as fantastic peaches.
The stand is operated by the sweetest young ladies you can find.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2020, 8:22 PM

We ordered a batch last month and yes it was costly. However, they communicated very well via email on the shipping status, the ice cream was well packed and arrived as promised. Of course it was excellent ice cream. Please remember these are students doing good work packaging the items, and learning to run business is more than knowing the balance sheet. Plenty of business folk have run good business into the ground by bean counting their way into horrible customer service. These students are learning about adapting to difficult conditions. Also note they are also providing the ice cream via the farmers market so sales is more than just the online shipping venture. They are taking advantage of the nostalgia angle and moving some product at likely a reasonable profit. Hopefully Hendrix reopens next month and they can get back to the normal way of business.

**ARGH!** If only you could order those large Dairy

Aug 15, 2020, 3:21 PM

Sciences building milkshakes online and have them delivered to your door. The diet could go to hail if I was anywhere close enough to Clemson to get one of those. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: **ARGH!** If only you could order those large Dairy

Aug 15, 2020, 6:56 PM

I lived on the $0.50 Peach Shakes while waiting for my Fortran programs to run. I wish I could have anything like them again at almost any price.
But I note that website will let you make an order, but will not let you get to shipping or payment.
I really wish they were shipping the Blue Cheese.

Re: **ARGH!** If only you could order those large Dairy

Aug 15, 2020, 11:00 PM

me too!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2020, 2:06 AM

Pints? Who buys pints? Half gallons please and not almost (I'm sure there's a good reason for that and I'm not going to argue the point). At roughly $30.00 per half gallon that's kind of steep. Even with a stub-end of dry ice potentially to play with. I can only watch the toilet bubble for so long. I'd prefer good solid flavors not fruit flavors or cookies 'n stuff. Give me Dark Chocolate (chips are OK), Butter Pecan, and Coffee and I'll think about it. Naw, just post an address and I'll send the kids a sawbuck, no dry ice required. After all, Grocery Outlet has recently started carrying Umpqua ice cream in our market.

Really no different from any other perishable food that is shipped.

Aug 17, 2020, 7:12 AM

I buy perogri and it often costs more to ship then it does to buy. I end up buying a bunch to make up for the shipping costs. I have also looked into buying fresh mozzarella....also too expensive to ship.

This is for people who want it and cost is not a worry. The next day shipping, packing, etc. Is a problem for any company and generally makes it so that I do not purchase it.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic