Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
***Rashan Gary More Intel***
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 77
| visibility 1

***Rashan Gary More Intel***

Jan 25, 2016, 1:18 PM

Ok, Rashan Gary will be in Clemson sometime this weekend. What I don't know if it's an official or not.

Also, it's imperative that Gary's mother, Ms. Coney, is blown away with our academic side. Clemson should do everything in it's power to show her and him the best professors, the plan and how going to Clemson would be the best decision academically.

We have a legit shot at landing Gary but we need to put our best foot forward. Ms. Coney seeing her family for every home game is a big draw as well. It should not be underestimated. Nothing is written in stone yet for Rashan Gary.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Does he know what he'd like to study?***

Jan 25, 2016, 1:19 PM

Clemson

Re: Does he know what he'd like to study?***

Jan 25, 2016, 1:20 PM

"The nfl"

football***

Jan 25, 2016, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Does he know what he'd like to study?*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks Tiger.***

Jan 25, 2016, 1:19 PM

Re: ***Rashan Gary More Intel***

Jan 25, 2016, 1:20 PM

Thanks for the update

Jan 25, 2016, 1:23 PM

Mom also talked about him having fun while in college. maybe show him what the football coach does with his players on a snow day. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somebody should take them into ...

Jan 25, 2016, 3:40 PM

The Rain Room .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

they have less snow days in Michigan

Jan 25, 2016, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: ***Rashan Gary More Intel*** ]

but a lot more snow

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2016, 1:25 PM

Didn't Clowney wait two weeks after the initial signing date before signing?

Maybe Gary waits to sign and works an extra trip into Clemson, after the National Signing Day but before he signs?

You have ~2 months to sign Feb. 3 to April 1.

Jan. 31 - Quiet Period
February 1-4, 2016 Dead Period
February 5 through April 14, 2016 Quiet Period

Quiet period

The quiet period tightens things a bit more, preventing any off-campus contact or viewing. Visits to the college's campus and written or electronic communications are still permitted.

Coaches often try to have prospects visit campus unofficially during this time in the spring and early summer, so that they can become familiar with campus.

Dead period

The dead period is the most restrictive. No in-person contact is allowed, even if a prospect makes a visit to the college campus. Written and electronic communications are still permitted.

Message was edited by: Country Gentleman®

Message was edited by: Country Gentleman®

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 25, 2016, 1:27 PM

"I'm not sure if you can have an on campus visit during the Quiet and Dead Periods of recruiting."

I think you can as long as you don't speak with the football staff .

Jan 25, 2016, 1:30 PM

COME ON TIGER. I AM SURE THE RED CARPET IS AT THE CLEANERS AS WE SPEAK. THOSE GUYS KNOW HOW TO TREAT A MOMMA. YOU MORE THAN ANYONE SHOULD KNOW THAT.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2016, 1:31 PM

Of course I know that. Just conveying the message.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Jan 25, 2016, 1:32 PM

TRUE, GOT TO REMEMBER WHO YOUR AUDIENCE IS HUH. LOL

So Mama is going to compare who has the best

Jan 25, 2016, 1:33 PM

academics? And we are competing with Michigan? Well ok then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: So Mama is going to compare who has the best

Jan 25, 2016, 1:37 PM

Overall they are #39 and Clemson is #61 in academics. We're not comparing SCar to Michigan.

Re: So Mama is going to compare who has the best

Jan 25, 2016, 1:42 PM

Yes but Michigan football only has a 72% GSR (graduation success rate), whilst Clemson boasts an 85% GSR.

USC is a deplorable 58% I believe.

There you go. A win for Clemson.***

Jan 25, 2016, 1:44 PM

According to what ranking?

Jan 25, 2016, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: So Mama is going to compare who has the best ]

Here it's 29 vs 61:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

What rankings are you using?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: According to what ranking?

Jan 25, 2016, 2:28 PM

Like I said bro, GSR ratings. A university can be ranked #1 in the nation in academics but if the football program only graduates 50% of them, who cares?

http://collegespun.com/independents/notre-dame/heres-college-footballs-top-25-in-order-of-graduation-rate

GSR is great, but I'm guessing Michigan would argue

Jan 25, 2016, 2:34 PM

1) Their coach is in his first year there
2) Look at the academic rankings and tell us why you think less graduate from Michigan

Re: GSR is great, but I'm guessing Michigan would argue

Jan 25, 2016, 2:53 PM

1. In 2014, before Harbaugh even got there, Michigan still wasn't listed in the top 25 ranking for college football academics, so I'm not sure that argument would hold much weight honestly. Meanwhile, Clemson was ranked #4 in academics for college football players in 2014.

http://time.com/3640357/college-football-top-25-academic/#

2. To refute this point, why has Stanford boasted a 99% GSR two years in a row now as the #4 ranked academic institution? Why does Notre Dame have one of the highest GSRs? I don't think it has anything to do with how "hard" the school is, especially based on perception, but rather how well the football program prepares their student athletes to succeed in graduating. Historically and statistically speaking, Michigan doesn't do a great job at that.

I think you're oversimplifying his mother's approach to

Jan 25, 2016, 3:27 PM [ in reply to GSR is great, but I'm guessing Michigan would argue ]

academics. I don't think she's looking for the highest-ranked academics. Here's a quote from last fall about Auburn from Gary:

“The defense, and then when I went down there, the food because I like to eat,” Gary said. “Just the academics, my mom felt comfortable with me being there more as a student than as an athlete. That’s very key in my decision-making process.”

Auburn's well below Clemson and Michigan in academic prestige. I believe his mother is talking about her son going to a university that will take his academics seriously...not just about the highest-ranked academics. Which brings me to your other point:

"2) Look at the academic rankings and tell us why you think less graduate from Michigan"

Yes. By all means, make this point to a recruit's mom. "More of our players fail because we bring them in for football and our academics are too tough for them." That will play well.

No one is questioning Michigan's status as a top-notch public institution. But on a personal level, that doesn't mean that a football player majoring in business is going to be better prepared after graduating. UNC-Chapel Hill is higher-ranked than Clemson, and their athletes don't see the inside of a classroom.

null

Re: According to what ranking?

Jan 25, 2016, 3:12 PM [ in reply to According to what ranking? ]

I'd prefer if we used a ranking that had us ahead of whomever the competition may be. Lol.

Do you have any new intel on Gary?

Jan 25, 2016, 1:47 PM [ in reply to So Mama is going to compare who has the best ]

and John Simpson?

Waiting...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

can he explain the michigan-ann arbor thingy first?***

Jan 25, 2016, 1:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's there to explain? Clemson probably doesn't want

Jan 25, 2016, 1:58 PM

to get into an academics contest with Michigan.

yes. others are fighting the bit though...***

Jan 25, 2016, 2:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's there to explain? Clemson probably doesn't want

Jan 25, 2016, 2:23 PM [ in reply to What's there to explain? Clemson probably doesn't want ]

Why not? To reiterate what I'd stated yesterday on another thread and on page one of this one:

As it relates to football, Michigan football only has a 72% GSR (graduation success rate), whilst Clemson boasts an 85% GSR.

USC is a deplorable 58% I believe.

Being 13% more likely to graduate from Clemson as a football player is definitely a relevant point to be made. However, per Rashan's mother last week, she'd rather discuss academics with the professors themselves on her own time, not with the coaches. Hopefully they've noted that point if / when they do decide to visit Clemson this weekend.

michigan is harder, there's no doubt about that.***

Jan 25, 2016, 2:29 PM

actually that would be about 19.444% greater chance

Jan 25, 2016, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Re: What's there to explain? Clemson probably doesn't want ]

so there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: actually that would be about 19.444% greater chance

Jan 25, 2016, 3:27 PM

On what planet does 85-72 = 19.444%? Not mine, no sir. Lol

I got to splain this??? - 85 is 19.444% greater than 72

Jan 25, 2016, 7:03 PM

got maf?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I got to splain this??? - 85 is 19.444% greater than 72

Jan 25, 2016, 7:19 PM

Obleusli nawt ??

Yes I do actually...

Jan 25, 2016, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Do you have any new intel on Gary? ]

Rashan Gary will be in Clemson sometime this weekend. What I don't know if it's an official or not.

Also, it's imperative that Gary's mother, Ms. Coney, is blown away with our academic side. Clemson should do everything in it's power to show her and him the best professors, the plan and how going to Clemson would be the best decision academically.

We have a legit shot at landing Gary but we need to put our best foot forward. Ms. Coney seeing her family for every home game is a big draw as well. It should not be underestimated. Nothing is written in stone yet for Rashan Gary.

Re: Yes I do actually...

Jan 25, 2016, 1:59 PM

You left out that plans to visit Clemson have been in place for a long while.

Thanks. He also left out an update on

Jan 25, 2016, 2:01 PM

John Simpson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you not say "or John Simpson" as opposed

Jan 25, 2016, 2:07 PM

to "and John Simpson?"

I said "and John Simpson"

Jan 25, 2016, 2:32 PM

HTH that helps

I took a screenshot of your post before you edited it.***

Jan 25, 2016, 2:35 PM

I have John Simpson info

Jan 25, 2016, 2:37 PM

Clemson/UF battle.

Re: I have John Simpson info

Jan 25, 2016, 2:39 PM

SIMPSON IS A TIGER. DONE DEAL.

Re: I have John Simpson info

Jan 25, 2016, 2:40 PM

He likes the drama though.

could you guys issue a jointly agreed to statement?

Jan 25, 2016, 2:42 PM

bob's waiting on gwp to provide an update.

or a screenshot.***

Jan 25, 2016, 2:45 PM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

that wood be helpful.***

Jan 25, 2016, 2:45 PM

Yeah, yeah. Maybe you shood stick to recruiting updates and

Jan 25, 2016, 2:46 PM [ in reply to I took a screenshot of your post before you edited it.*** ]

leave the detective work to the pros.

still waiting on "and John Simpson?" over here...***

Jan 25, 2016, 2:50 PM

yes you did. i took the liberty of including a screen shot

Jan 25, 2016, 2:37 PM [ in reply to I said "and John Simpson" ]

in case gwp wanted to colour it or something?

Jan 25, 2016, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Yes I do actually... ]

And quotation marks apparently. Lol

i got a hondo says that was intentional.***

Jan 25, 2016, 2:21 PM

Re: i got a hondo says that was intentional.***

Jan 25, 2016, 2:24 PM

A hundo or a hondo? :)

Re: i got a hondo says that was intentional.***

Jan 25, 2016, 2:27 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=18886074

hth

Jan 25, 2016, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Yes I do actually... ]

I like GWP's updates more than TigerWoods'... Because they are confirmation of original source HAHAHAHA

Jan 25, 2016, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Yes I do actually... ]

I like GWP's updates more than TigerWoods'... Because they are confirmation of original source HAHAHAHA

Wonder if President Clements will be available to meet with

Jan 25, 2016, 1:45 PM

them this weekend?
Go Tigers!!

Jan 25, 2016, 1:54 PM

That really surprises me because in the interview I saw, she stated academics would take care of themselves, show her what they are going to do for him on the football side. I thought what a backward thing for a parent to say. I hope she is truly interested in academics. If she is then we have a much better shot than I thought.

Jan 25, 2016, 1:57 PM

I read the complete opposite after our coaches' visit last week.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 25, 2016, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: ***Rashan Gary More Intel*** ]

She didn't wanna hear about it from football coaches .

“I don't like it when football coaches tell me about academics. Tell me about football. I'll find out about academics on my own when I get there. I'll talk to the academic staff. I want to talk to a professor or two. Let me talk to your tutoring staff or your academic specialists,” she said. “They can give me information that the football staff may have, but I like to get that on my own and ask my own questions directly.

Re: ^^^^^ is what she said, and made it clear ^^^^^

Jan 25, 2016, 2:24 PM

HB

Pull out the pig of Dabo with his Graduates .........

Jan 25, 2016, 2:01 PM

..in caps and gowns

Jan 25, 2016, 2:57 PM

Why are we making such a big deal about this guy. First of all New Jersey HS football is weak compared to the Southeast HS Football. I lived up there most of my life and live down in SC the past 10 years not even close. Secondly, Paramus Catholic recruits the best players in the public school system to come play for them effectively creating an all star team against weak competiton. I would say that Dexter Lawrence playing in NC is a safer pick than Rashan Gary playing as a big fish in a little pond. Everyone seems to be walking on egg shells for this kid. To quote Dabo "we do what we do" if its good enough for the other recruits then its good enough for Gary. If he comes fine if he doesn't fine too. With the exception of QB and maybe RB one player does not have an impact on a whole team.

Jan 25, 2016, 3:01 PM

What? So we should pass on this guy?

No one said he's better than Dexter. In fact, I think Dexter is actually better at the DT position than Rashan. Rashan is being recruited as a DE. We could use him next year.

You have a shot at the #1 recruit you give it all you got to try and land him.

Jan 25, 2016, 3:13 PM

> What? So we should pass on this guy?
>
> No one said he's better than Dexter. In fact, I
> think Dexter is actually better at the DT position
> than Rashan. Rashan is being recruited as a DE. We
> could use him next year.
>
> You have a shot at the #1 recruit you give it all you
> got to try and land him.

Amen to that brother. Not to mention Under Armour All-America Game MVP honors where he routinely blew through double and triple teams.

We'll be fine if we don't get him, but he is a rare talent and we'd be sitting in the catbirds seat if we land the #1 and #2 Defensive linemen in the country.

My only concern with his visit is that it seems to be "sometime this weekend" rather than full OV. Hope it turns out to be the full OV.

Go Tigers!

Jan 25, 2016, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Re: ***Rashan Gary More Intel*** ]

This is kind of old school thinking, no offense. In the 2016 cycle, NJ has one 5-star, seven 4-star, and forty-three 3-star recruits on the board.

Christian Wilkins played in Suffield, CT in high school and I heard the same argument about him last year. But he ended up being pretty dang good, no? Did you not see Rashan Gary shining in the Under Armour All-American Bowl? He certainly didn't look "overrated".

Jan 25, 2016, 3:15 PM

Stars, shmars they mean nothing. What they mean is the player or school has a good PR system. If you know anything about football in the Northeast you would know that the Prep school level that Wilins came from is far better than what exists in NJ or NY (Polyprep is the Paramus Catholics of NY). I never said he was overrated, what Im saying is we are what we are, put our best foot forward but be consistent with what we have shown other top recruits. Trying to figure out what Mama Gary wants to hear is the wrong game to play. I have three sons who I got to play DI(hockey, lax and B-Ball) and coaches dont even look at recruiting rankings.

Jan 25, 2016, 3:19 PM

I don't follow your logic. If any player we recruit wants an in-depth look at academics, we should be more than accommodating. In fact, we should be bending over backwards selling our academics.

Jan 25, 2016, 3:38 PM

Yes we should always accomodate and provide the recruit and their guardian(s) whatever info they need to make an informed decision. My point is reading many of the posts around Gary it seems as if we dont feel comfortable that the coaches and other participants in the recruiting process will be able to make the appropriate presentation for Rashan Gary. I am just suggesting that we should not treat this any differently than any other top player we would like to come to Clemson and continue to have confidence in the way that we sell Clemson.

Jan 25, 2016, 3:41 PM

Then why all the mentioning of his high school, the weakness of the program, the lack of talent in the northeast and everything else? You could have left all that bs out and still made your point. I have the confuse

Jan 25, 2016, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Re: ***Rashan Gary More Intel*** ]

Your comment about prep schools shows you know VERY little and your opinion should be GREATLY discounted.

Jan 25, 2016, 3:31 PM

You feel better about yourself now. No need to waste my time here you clearly never set foot in Northeast HS sports.

Jan 25, 2016, 3:43 PM

Most stud players dominate their opponents...even in the best of states/classifications. Gary dominated a national all-star game...and it wasn't particularly close. He's clearly a top-tier talent and those players aren't by the dozen. You have a shot to land one, you do it. Otherwise, fans should question why you have a program. Dabo, from day one, always believed Clemson should pursue the absolute best players, especially those with the family support and the character to boot. Gary is such a player, from such a family and background.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2016, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: ***Rashan Gary More Intel*** ]

Lol. Okay bro, I'm trying real hard to pull some sense out of whatever the heck you were just going on and on about and here it is. I, being from NY, and well aware that the talent pool in the northeast will NEVER compete with that of the southeast (mainly the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida). That being said, as a coach I would NEVER discount a kid's talent level based on his geographic location after the general consensus has been made that he/she is a rock star. You can call them "shmars" or say that "coaches don't look at recruit rankings" all you want based on your experience as a father but sir, you are wrong. Why do the top ranked recruits get the most offers then? Is that coincidental? Syracuse University has one of the best lax programs in the nation and you're telling me the recruits don't cherry-pick the best high school lax players to come there? Come on man. What you said about Rashan Gary was ignorant, plain & simple. Sure, he is from NJ. His school might get whooped by IMG Academy. But does that make him less great than he is? Absolutely not. Great is great. And we could have the #1 AND #2 recruits of 2016 on our defensive line, who would contest against trying to make that a reality?

Have you watched film on Wilkins and Gary?

Jan 25, 2016, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: ***Rashan Gary More Intel*** ]

Wilkins might have the weakest competition level I have ever seen before.

Re: Have you watched film on Wilkins and Gary?

Jan 25, 2016, 7:30 PM

Dude, you didn't hear? No one looks a recruit rankings or star / value assignments. It's all just fluff. ??

Jan 25, 2016, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Re: ***Rashan Gary More Intel*** ]

He isn't the #1 player in the country for no reason. Do you even watch football???

so, we just stick to the formula that already werx?

Jan 25, 2016, 3:20 PM

:)

GoTiguhs!!

Thanks info & your input is Much Appreciated ******

Jan 25, 2016, 4:52 PM

Replies: 77
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic