Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ray Ray fumble rule question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,596

Ray Ray fumble rule question

Sep 12, 2016, 12:26 PM

I know the rule in a situation like this if nobody picks up the ball, Clemson gets the ball back at the point the fumble occurred.

If an official sounds his whistle inadvertently or otherwise signals the ball
dead during a down (Rules 4-1-3-k, m and n):
When the ball is in player possession, then the team in possession may
elect to put the ball in play where declared dead or repeat the down
When the ball is loose from a fumble, backward pass or illegal pass, then
the team in possession may elect to put the ball in play where possession
was lost or repeat the down

(See Texas Tech - TCU game 2013) Exact same situation. TTech WR drops ball before crossing goal line, ball rolls into endzone, TD celebration, etc. Only difference is TCU never picked it up, so TTech gets ball on 1 foot line.

Where it gets hairy is the fact that the Troy guy did pick the ball up, but he picked it up 2-3 seconds after TD had been signaled. 3 Clemson players ran past the football because the play was over when TD was signaled. I understand the rules allow for an immediate football play recovery of a ball, but that was a far stretch in this situation.

If the Troy guys and Clemson guys are immediately diving for the football as the ref signals TD, then, obviously, the correct call would be the fumble. But the play was dead for at least 2 seconds, which is a long time in football.

It's effectively a judgement call on when a play is actually over I am assuming? The whistle, or TD signal, doesn't always end the play. On Dye's "fumble" the ref deemed the whistle blew, meaning the play was dead. You could argue in Ray Ray's fumble, the play was dead due to an "inadvertent whistle" before the Troy guy picked the ball up making it Clemson ball on the 1 foot line.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, that has me thinking

Sep 12, 2016, 12:28 PM

If it was ruled a fumble with no recovery, but the ball was dead in the endzone (on the line), is that considered the same as a fumble through the endzone?

The effect would be the same as it was called, a fumble through the endzone would be a turnover and a touchback just like it was called.

Interesting question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. TTech-TCU example was the correct interpretation.

Sep 12, 2016, 12:34 PM

TTech guy drops ball and it rolls into endzone with no "immediate recovery".

They call it a TD and then review exactly like Saturday. The rule it a fumble, therefore TT gets it on 1 foot line.

Gary Patterson hated the call but it was correct.

It's technically an inadvertent whistle. The play is over when the ref signals TD. Therefore, you get the ball where it was last in possession. 1 foot line, basically.

Ahh yes, I remember that one

Sep 12, 2016, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the reminder

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This one is pretty simple. Don't be an idiot and don't

Sep 12, 2016, 12:42 PM

reward idiots for being idiots. Troy deserved to get the ball there, and i don't care to look into it any further.

Re: Ray Ray fumble rule question

Sep 12, 2016, 12:56 PM

It's over and done with, time to move on.

That's a really good question...

Sep 12, 2016, 1:44 PM

The TV replay didn't show enough of what happened with the recovery or talk about the timing of whistles or anything else that I remember. It seems to me that if it was blown dead, it would be dead, but the play was definitely alive when he actually fumbled, so there's that to consider as well.
I think right now through 2 games we are leading the country in awkward fumbles leading to long TV replays. If we can hold on to the ball, the games might not last 4+ hours!

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,596
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic