Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Questions about football student-athletes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 994

Questions about football student-athletes

Feb 17, 2013, 8:30 AM

In the post about Clowney maybe wanting to go to CU but not qualifying, a replier stated that if a player meets NCAA minimums, it’s case by case –

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13621954

He also stated that the football staff has occasional issues with academics such as a signed recruit that was later denied and transferred. Not trying to call out anyone, but I assume he was talking about Josh Brown, the big DT from Aiken. Clemson also wanted to sign Javarius Leamon, a big offensive lineman from Woodruff, but couldn’t for similar reasons and he signed with SC State. While they weren’t Clowney caliber, these players had potential. SC fans are just kidding themselves if they don’t think that allowing academically marginal players has given them a big advantage, along with the rest of the semi pro SEC, since Clowney may have been their single biggest difference maker the last 2 years. You wonder if CU players, like Bryant and Bellamy, would even have academic issues at an SEC school.

Anyone know what happened to Brown and why he was initially eligible, but later not – didn’t want to go to prep school or something else? Are any CU student-athlete academic requirements ACC related or all their own? Guessing CU wants players they hope could graduate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm too lazy to read the article, but does it take into

Feb 17, 2013, 9:44 AM

account the lower academics in general of most sec schools in the first place? If you listen to Alabama's players form a sentence, it's embarrassing. Alabama is also a horrible academic school. I'm probably missing the point, and I just want to bag on how bad sec academics are save aTm and vandy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Questions about football student-athletes

Feb 17, 2013, 10:15 AM

If I remember correctly,both Steve Spurrier and Butch Davis campaigned to lower entrance requirements in an effort to "be more competitive".You have to ask yourself if you want the baggage that goes along with lowering standards?I do not.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Questions about football student-athletes

Feb 17, 2013, 1:54 PM

As often as fans complain about the admissions standards of other schools I have never seen definitive cut offs on who gets admitted and who doesn't. Spurrier asked for clarification on admissions because he offered a scholarship to someone that was qualified according to the NCAA but USC denied them admission. It was about the time Clemson had the same issue. Both coaches asked to know what would be acceptable to offer scholarships so they wouldn't be put in that situation again.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 994
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic