Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for the pro tailgaters....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,450

Question for the pro tailgaters....

Sep 10, 2012, 1:01 PM

I'm looking to get a tv up and running at my next tailgate, and I was wondering what exactly goes into this.

I have the tv, I'm a directv customer already (if that makes a difference), so I was hoping maybe I could simply use the directv box that I already have, get a portable dish, and then my same subscription would work wherever I set up, is this the case?

Just looking for some pointers,
Thanks!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Affirmative!

Sep 10, 2012, 1:03 PM

but ya gotta know where to point that frisbee-lookin thing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Batteries or a generator might help also

Sep 10, 2012, 1:04 PM

or at least a buncha hamsters and a cage.

I used batteries for a long time but just bought a generator

Sep 10, 2012, 1:11 PM

from Blue Ridge Electric for about 350.00 it is quite like the honda but at a third of the cost. It worked great, we ran a 32" tv for about 8 hours on less than a gallon of gas.

Looks like a Honda, sounds like a 747

Sep 10, 2012, 1:20 PM

:)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for the pro tailgaters....

Sep 10, 2012, 1:09 PM

ah true i forgot about the generator, but will my directv box from my home work for the tail gate? and will any portable dish do? I found one online for like $80, but some are upwards of $1000

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes and yes.

Sep 10, 2012, 1:13 PM

If you use batteries, you will also need a DC to AC transmogrifier.

I would suggest bringing two power inverters....

Sep 10, 2012, 1:30 PM

If one fails or malfunctions, you have a back-up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Sep 10, 2012, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for the pro tailgaters.... ]

Your box will work as long as you have the correct dish. You can usually find a dish at local pawn shops, but set everything up at home before to make sure everything works before you get to the game. I see a lot of people that try to set up the first time at the game and they forgot something and it doesnt work.

Sep 10, 2012, 1:15 PM

what is the correct dish I would need...?

This may be exactly what you're looking for.

Sep 10, 2012, 1:44 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Portable-Satellite-Dish-Directv-Kit-Folding-Tripod-Meter-RG6-Cables-Compass-/320934600456?pt=US_Antennas_Dishes&hash=item4ab9315f08

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Sep 10, 2012, 1:36 PM

Make sure you don't yell at some chick and get drowned in stolen beer....

Sep 10, 2012, 10:45 PM

Your DirecTV box should work - don't bring the main box if you have a DVR. You need a clear view of the southwestern sky (if you have an iPhone there are a few dish pointing apps that work pretty well. The dish, ah the dish - make certain that the first thing you do is get it plumb then the rest is easier. If you don't have it plumb you'll spend all day. DirecTV will not give you HD unless you get the right antenna and then it's touchier to point. Of course you can buy the Winegard Carryout - connect it to the box, plug it in and walk away - no headache - I gave up manually point two years ago and went Winegard! Dish has a Tailgater Package with an automatic antenna and a month to month service you can turn on just for football season and get HD ESPN as well. I use DirecTV at home and Dish for tailgating.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry to bring this back up,

Sep 13, 2012, 1:02 PM

but is an rv portable dish system the regular thing to get?

like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Portable-Satellite-Dish-Directv-Kit-Folding-Tripod-Meter-RG6-Cables-Compass-/320934600456?pt=US_Antennas_Dishes&hash=item4ab9315f08

And also, I have directv with a dvr, so am I not supposed to use this box? That's what has the card and everything in it so I couldn't see why not...

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,450
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic