Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for the oldtimers about that 1952 photo. I'm looking at this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Question for the oldtimers about that 1952 photo. I'm looking at this

Apr 3, 2020, 12:51 PM

pic and trying to make sense of it. I was at CU in the mid 70s and lived in Norris Hall all 5 years. Am I correct in identifying the Quad, and Norris Hall (the red arrow)? Got to be, Norris Hall was between the Quad and Harcombe. So, was there another building next to Norris back then, it looks like it. And apparently there were other buildings between Norris and Tillman, which was where Johnstone A was located ultimately? See the white question marks. What were these buildings... more "barracks" similar to the Quad & Norris?

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: dark side of the moo®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Re: Question for the oldtimers about that 1952 photo. I'm looking at this

Apr 3, 2020, 2:09 PM

I don't remember toe name of the building with the red arrow. The four buildings on the Quad were Fifth, Sixth, Seventh. and Eight Barracks. Your building might have been Fourth, Not sure.The building with ???? was First Barracks. Second Barracks is to the left of First.Then the building with white columns facing the Calhoun Mansion was Third Barracks. I am certain about the Barracks around the Quad, but not so sure about the one you are asking about. All resident quarters were called Barracks back then. My time, 1946-50, was spent in First, Second, and Third. Hope this helps.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks! I have a buddy that I sent the same photo to with

Apr 3, 2020, 3:22 PM

similar questions. So many of the photos of Barracks 1-3 are from the front and offer no context on where they were located. He lived in 6th Barracks which was on the quad and all 4 are still there, along with Norris. Looking at more of the old photos online there are several with E and F Johnstone under construction, with 1st 2nd and 3rd Barracks still there. Looks like they started close to the P-plant with Johnstone to create housing to replace Barracks 1-3, then took them down to put up the remainder of Johnstone. I can waste WAY too much time looking through all the Clemson digital photos for sure!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, thank you! I appreciate the input.***

Apr 4, 2020, 5:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for the oldtimers about that 1952 photo. I'm looking at this ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2020, 4:02 PM

I was not around in 1952, but lived in Norris in the 80's. Your red arrow is pointing at Norris. Johnstone started construction in 1954. The barracks that occupy the area that would become Johnstone were demolished to make room.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"To hell with the best team winning, I want us to win!"- Frank Howard

Apr 3, 2020, 6:14 PM

Yes the red arrow is pointing to Norris Hall. I lived there happily '66 to '68. I was able to move to the New High Rise in '68. I believe it was just seniors there that first year. Great memories from Norris, or as we called it at the time 8th Barracks. All on our hall on the top floor called it 8th Barracks. Many Friday nights playing cards until Saturday AM and my roommate yelling out the window- "5 o'clock and all is well, 7th Barracks go to ####". Anyone remember these memories please respond. Go Tigers! Class of ' 69. ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

cool memories, and thanks everybody for the clarifications.

Apr 4, 2020, 5:29 AM

Man, it must be crazy for you guys to walk around campus today. I thought it was weird for people like me... so many changes and new buildings since the 70s. I've taken my son and tried to explain it to him - "Well, there were these dorms called the tin cans, Johnstone, they were huge... they stretched from here to... blah blah blah". I have to show him photos, it's hard to explain.

But you guys go back to BEFORE the tin cans were even built. And now they've come and gone. Amazing.

My buddy lived in Barracks #6 back in the day and it's still

Apr 4, 2020, 9:49 AM

there. I lived in Johnstone E and Clemson House which are both gone. Weird!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic