Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for ESPN, the CFP Committe, Heisman pundits and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,613

Question for ESPN, the CFP Committe, Heisman pundits and

Nov 7, 2016, 3:38 PM

other talking heads in general that think they know it all, please answer this for me:

If Louisville is not to be taken seriously and not a playoff contender because of their low schedule strength, shouldn't Jackson's Heisman numbers be viewed based on the same criteria?

Either Louisville should get more credit, or Jackson should get less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heisman is an individual award. Rankings are team

Nov 7, 2016, 3:42 PM

You don't get the Heisman for being the best player on the team that played the hardest schedule. What he's done against any level of competition is nothing short of amazing. He's the best athlete (although not best QB) on the field at all times.

UofL knows that they are out of the playoff race, so they are doing everything in their power to make sure that Jackson gets 100% of the stats. That way his trophy can salve the wounds of watching us play for the ACC trophy and the playoff trophy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buuuuuttt... isn't it more difficult to put up numbers

Nov 7, 2016, 3:50 PM

against tougher competition???

So either Lamar is padding his stats against garbage defenses or Louisville isn't playing garbage and should be given more consideration

Good point JMcCoy41

Re: Heisman is an individual award. Rankings are team

Nov 7, 2016, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Heisman is an individual award. Rankings are team ]

The Heisman is supposed to be about the best football player and not best athlete. Football is a team sport. But, it is generally about the best player on a top 10 team who the press (ESPN)is enamored with. Some think it should be about the best team player who is the MVP to their respective team in a fair comparative analysis. Certainly it should make a difference based on the competition and match ups. It shouldn't be about popularity of conference, or number of alums, or number of journalists that like someone(Clemson doesn't have a school of journalism and is in a small market area and has less alums than most candidates). Lamar doesn't deserve the Heisman based on running up numbers. If that were the sole criteria than there are always small division schools that have players with better stats.

At the end of the day Clemson and Watson beat Louisville and Jackson - and did so with more efficient stats. Clemson has played a tougher schedule. Simple - Watson has done more for his team against head to head competition, against a tougher schedule and his team is undefeated and it is a team sport.

I've never agreed with the award going to anyone who

Nov 7, 2016, 4:05 PM

isn't either a senior or a declaree for the draft with the award presented in the spring.

That's because most consider the Heisman to be college football's highest individual honor with all due accolades afforded. With nothing but respect and admiration for Mr. Jackson, one or two recent undergraduate winners who proceeded to sully the award with ensuing crass, petulant behavior come to mind. At least a winner who is set to leave campus post haste would have little time to romp and frolic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for ESPN, the CFP Committe, Heisman pundits and

Nov 7, 2016, 4:06 PM

Was curious enough to look this up.
Heisman Trust Mission Statement

The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. The winners of the trophy epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work….Our goal through these charitable endeavors is for the Heisman Trophy to symbolize the fostering of a sense of community responsibility and service to our youth, especially those disadvantaged or afflicted.

Recently the pundits have said it should go to"the best player on the best team. This year some have said it goes to the best player in the country, then some said it goes to the player who is most important to his team. In recent years it appears that the integrity issue has dropped by the way.

I know that it is meaningful to the players but, per recent selections, doesn't seem like a great group with which to associate. Perhaps all voters should be required to read, or have read to them, the mission statement of the award before voting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...Which is the basis for my position. Thanks.***

Nov 7, 2016, 4:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a question--

Nov 7, 2016, 4:51 PM

I know we always look at stats (passing yards, total tds etc) but I am curious how Jackson would compare to DW4 if we used snaps taken as a common factor. We all know Jackson is padding his stats by completing blowout games where as DW4 is out sometimes in similar games. Plus our SC State game was shorter.

TIA for providing this info.

Nov 7, 2016, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for ESPN, the CFP Committe, Heisman pundits and ]

And, doesn't "the fostering of a sense of community responsibility and service to our youth, especially those disadvantaged or afflicted" this also speak to what Watson embodies?

Nov 7, 2016, 4:48 PM

They are viewed under the same criteria.

When playing against UL and FSU, he rose to the challenge. He has proven that he is a handful for any defense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^Underrated post

Nov 7, 2016, 4:50 PM

is Underrated

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,613
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic