Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about playcalling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Question about playcalling

Oct 5, 2015, 10:53 PM

So, I noticed that with about 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter, until the very end of the game, Scott and Elliott just decided to go all helicopter-parent on the offense in an attempt to protect it from anything bad happening and 3 out of every 4 plays were RB handoffs to Gallman or Watson running straight up the middle. Now that I've had a couple of days to process, and think through considerations of why this was the mentality, I'm left with 2 thoughts.

1) Scott and Elliott were so excited that we were actually in the lead that late in the game that they started being super conservative and playing not to lose instead of being aggressive and playing to win.

2) They realized early on that the WRs weren't playing well, that the passing game hadn't had much success all night, and decided our Defense was good enough to withstand the furious Irish onslaught at the end of the 4th.

Either way you spin it, this still concerns me. Think what you will of the Chad and his offensive HUNH scheme, at the end of the day, (barring some obvious bone-headed play calling he was oftentimes guilty of), he was productive and efficient and possess some measure of balance in advancing the ball down the field and sustaining drives. For some reason that just doesn't sit quite right with me, Scott and Elliott don't seem to have a very confident grasp of how to call a well-balanced game for 4 quarters. To me, so far this season, plays either seems too repetitive and easy to diagnose for defenses, or hesitant and slow-developing without a lot of pizzaz or fluidity.

I'm going to hold out hope that is the season progresses, the playbook will open up and become more balanced and success. Until then, this offensive "experiment" better start taking better advantage of the playmakers this coaching staff recruited here to be dynamic.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People seem to forget about the monsoon

Oct 5, 2015, 10:59 PM

and, without rewatching the game yet, didn't they go conservative AFTER the interception in the end zone. Your worries are just that, unless there's another monsoon, I'm sure things will be better. Let's not forget, we just beat the best Defense on our schedule. Everything from here out in prepare & execute.

Again we beat the best D on our schedule during a monsoon, people need to get a grip.

3) Don't turn the ball over

Oct 5, 2015, 11:01 PM

Maybe they saw how much ND was having to pass and play catch up, resulting in 4 turnovers in the conditions, and figured play the field position/game clock game. What I hated to see were the LB's rushing the QB, not getting there in time, and leaving the middle of the field open for those big gains on simple crossing patterns

Re: 3) Don't turn the ball over

Oct 5, 2015, 11:55 PM

If this problem is not fixed, I predict we are going to lose to GT. Also, Notre Dame's 2nd and 3rd touchdowns seem to be pick plays. On Notre Dame's second touch down both Right hand side receivers picked linebackers and Chris Brown was wide open. Frankly, even if they had not been picked I don't think the linebackers would have covered him. The 3rd touchdown was just a pick that the DBs didn't have an answer for. Seems like they should have thought about this possibility.

Applaud the D for a GREAT 3 Qtr. performance! Sure hope the coaches can fix up some of the coverage problems, cause we are going to see similar routes on Saturday.
J

Agreed....***

Oct 5, 2015, 11:02 PM

The Chad did the same thing very often.

Oct 5, 2015, 11:03 PM

He was even conservative in the first few starts for both Watson and Stoudt to try to keep from getting them rattled.

Re: The Chad did the same thing very often.

Oct 5, 2015, 11:08 PM

Yes the Chad had his issues but his offense was much more fluid than Elliot and Scott.Glad to be 4-0,hoping Elliot and Scott are not over there heads.

3) They were actually present at the game and knew how

Oct 5, 2015, 11:05 PM

####### much it was raining and saw that the balls were bouncing off WRs' hands for both teams all night and knew that incomplete passes save TOs for ND and tipped balls going into defenders' hands are even worse and we had a Defense that was playing lights out all night.

Can we put this stupid debate to bed yet? Was it conservative? Yes. Was it the right call in an historically bad rain storm? Yes.

If they call those plays in 72 degree, clear weather then we might have something to complain about but not the way it played out on Saturday.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clap, clap, clap. Gets it!!!***

Oct 5, 2015, 11:10 PM

Honestly, i just wish we ran a few more WR screens

Oct 5, 2015, 11:09 PM

To Artavius Scott or Mcloud. When we run the WR screens with Scott they usually always seem to get positive yards. I think the coaches just went way too conservative. There still learning though, you gotta remember this is their first season calling plays, there will be mistakes.

None of you posters have one series calling plays.***

Oct 5, 2015, 11:13 PM

Rob Spence agrees :)***

Oct 5, 2015, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Honestly, i just wish we ran a few more WR screens ]

Re: Question about playcalling

Oct 5, 2015, 11:17 PM

We moved the ball downfield fine for the last FG, though I didn't like QB draw on 3rd before the FG. I have no problem with running the ball after Goodson's int. We were in FG range. The 3rd down pass to Leggett was just well-covered. The 45yd FG we missed would have iced it anyway. After our fumble recovery inside our own 5, no one can suggest we shouldn't have run Gallman and make ND burn last TO's. ND benefited from a short punt (into wind). My only issue with play calling was the old Tajh Boyd QB draw over and over on 3rd down. It works on other downs, but not when everyone in the stadium knows it's coming.

The D had some issues late with not getting pressure even when bringing LB's. Gotta improve that, but conditions made that difficult. But all game the D was fantastic. In the end, they stood up and preserved the win.

I'm guessing

Oct 5, 2015, 11:22 PM

over the next 4 games, Brent won't have to ride the 1's so much,giving the 2's their share of snaps,getting them ready for FSU.Don't forget we had 2 DL injured and didn't play this week and, how long did Bryant last ? Did he come back in or was he out the rest of the game?

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/acc/2015-clemson-tigers-football-schedule.php

I remember many fans complaining that Chad didn't...

Oct 5, 2015, 11:18 PM

seem to know how to take time off the clock when we had the lead in the 4th quarter.
Go Tigers!!

Tigers win, Tigers win......

Oct 5, 2015, 11:41 PM

Go Tigers........

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Funny how the tune changed from the bowl game

Oct 5, 2015, 11:59 PM

How did we go from being to happy with the approach for the bowl game to this whining so quickly?

Danny Ford must have made you miserable.***

Oct 6, 2015, 12:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic