Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about building a carriage house.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Question about building a carriage house.

Sep 17, 2020, 11:01 AM

Actually hiring someone to do it, but do you have to hire an architect? How does that work? I have never had to have anything built. I have never have had to build something before.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I typically have my butler make all the arrangements.***

Sep 17, 2020, 11:06 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I typically have my butler make all the arrangements.***

Sep 17, 2020, 11:08 AM

Haha. Yeah it may have came across like that. Nah, I am buying a small 2 br 2 bath house or so and I am wanting to build a 1br and 1.5 bath carriage house in the back for when my Mom gets too old and needs help.

Why does she need a Bath and a Half?

Sep 17, 2020, 12:09 PM

Got suitors visiting? ;)

depends on your local req's, HOA/ARB etc, if you has one

Sep 17, 2020, 11:10 AM

are you in SC?

Re: depends on your local req's, HOA/ARB etc, if you has one

Sep 17, 2020, 11:13 AM

I am in Florida waiting for my house to sell and then I am moving to Wilmington, NC. I will probably be there within 2 months.

Around these parts they call that an ADU

Sep 17, 2020, 11:14 AM

(Accessory dwelling unit) and the area or lot you live on has to be zoned to have one. If you plan on VRBO/AIR BnBing that before your mother moves in, better check on that, too.

Re: Around these parts they call that an ADU

Sep 17, 2020, 11:20 AM

You know my plans. I will check though.

If where you live doesnt have an HOA, you'll probably be OK

Sep 17, 2020, 11:23 AM

If it does, you can just about be sure they won't allow the ADU or AirBNB's.

Personally, I don't want to ever live where there is an HOA again, but I'm a lawless curmudgeon who looks down on authority.

Re: If where you live doesnt have an HOA, you'll probably be OK

Sep 17, 2020, 11:28 AM

There won't be an HOA. It will downtownish Wilmington. Yeah, I am not ever doing an HOA community. I have already done it before. It's not for me.

Only carriage house I've ever seen was a topless joint.***

Sep 17, 2020, 11:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good grief, how dumb can you be???

Sep 17, 2020, 11:23 AM

You NEVER build a carriage house until you first get the carriage. Otherwise...HOW DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW BIG THE CARRIAGE HOUSE NEEDS TO BE?!!?!? WHAT IF YOU BUILD A SINGLE-HORSE CARRIAGE HOUSE WHEN YOU ACTUALLY END UP WITH A TRIPLE-HORSE CARRIAGE???

It's like I have to do ALL the thinking around here without any extra pay for it.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good grief, how dumb can you be???

Sep 17, 2020, 11:29 AM

Well I am new at this.

No, don't need architect. Several options:

Sep 17, 2020, 11:36 AM

1. Search plans online, find one you like, the plans will have all the engineering specs a building permit will need.

2. The builder you choose will likely have some plans he can use.

3. If you want to design it yourself, take your floor plan drawing to the builder, who can use a CAD to develop that into plans, elevation (what it will look like from the outside), etc. He can get a permit from those.

4. Depending on the style you want, there are some very nice tiny house/carriage house things that are built off site and delivered ready for foundation and hookups. Some people use nice Airstreams set into landscaping, patio, etc. I saw where one person took a yacht (35', I think), set it into the ground up to the water line, incorporated it into hardscaping and landscaping. Looked really cool, is basically ready to go as a 1bed/1bth condo with kitchen, easy to connect to plumbing and electrical. Sounds Aero-ish, but this one was nice.

Never done it with pallets, might work.

The least expensive and most resalable of all this is likely to stick build, but the delivered ones might do as well. I have built 3 houses, all done via #3. Would do again in a heartbeat, no hesitation: can do some things you really like for not any more than the typical things on the market. I have several comments about that, too many for here, so if interesting tmail me and we'll talk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, don't need architect. Several options:

Sep 17, 2020, 11:42 AM

I am just starting to do research and there are some interesting things out there. I agree. One thing for sure is I will not be building it. I couldn't even build a dog house. I might ask to be a helper for the person I do hire if he doesn't mind.

Right. When I say, "I built three houses", I mean I designed

Sep 18, 2020, 1:18 PM

them, found a builder, etc. No, I can't even hammer a nail, let along build a house. We even bought windows/doors, appliances, cabinets and flooring. I had those things delivered to the site, the builder of course installed.

If you go the route of finding a builder to build your plan, consider buying those above things yourself, if your wife has time to help. Lowes, for instance, has several levels of windows, and their highest end ones are close to Anderson quality at a fraction of the price. They'll make any size you need, deliver them to the site. They also have a cabinet making department that will build to suit your plans, deliver to the site, much cheaper than 'custom' cabinets, nicer than stock.

Mrs Tulsa went around to lumber mills in the area (Greenville), found a guy who had several small batches left over from larger jobs. Some were oak, some were ash, had to take several different woods, but got them for about $2/.50 foot. We then asked around and found a layer/finisher who lays floors in high school gyms, guy was a walking encyclopedia of laying wood. He did ours for about $3.50/foot. So, for about $6.00/foot we got very nice hardwood floors.

I wish I could offer similar hacks for tile. Laying tile is simply expensive, like $7/foot. You can save a few dollars shopping for tile, and there is some very nice stuff available for a few dollars a foot, but no matter what you buy its going to cost to lay it, so we paid the going rate for that.. Maybe you have a buddy who knows how, can do it with you.

Anyway, doing things like that can bring in a very nice house at a good price. Ours came in at about $100/foot, which included:
- Extensive patio/walkways/driveway/pergolas/fencing.
- A detached two car garage.
- An apartment above the garage, with bath and kitchen.

Eliminate those things, probably closer to $70/foot for the main house, very nice finishes throughout. Starter home price.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^1st World Problems^^^***

Sep 17, 2020, 11:42 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Sounds like you're putting the cart before the horse.

Sep 17, 2020, 11:50 AM

or maybe putting the house before the cart.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Re: Question about building a carriage house.

Sep 17, 2020, 11:52 AM

Call you local building department, City or County). See what they require. Most will require basic drawings (which you can draw yourself) and a stamp from structural engineer or architect for foundation, wall section, floor joist, ceiling and rafter, roof sheathing and showing all your tie down/connectors for hurricane and seismic if they apply to your lot.

Re: Question about building a carriage house.

Sep 17, 2020, 11:56 AM

I will do that. Thank you.

people swapped carriages

Sep 18, 2020, 1:25 PM

for cars about 100 years ogo. Hire an architect if you want an expensive and good looking carriage house. Do it youself if you want it cheap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I recommend using an architect

Sep 18, 2020, 1:38 PM

or a designer independent of the contractor/builder. It may cost you a few extra bucks (ours were $1400 I think, for our addition), and included value engineering services once we selected the contractor and reviewed the project. IMO, the aesthetic results are much better than just your standard build, at very little extra cost.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic