Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question: Why Ole Miss all of a sudden?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,375

Question: Why Ole Miss all of a sudden?

Jan 9, 2013, 11:50 AM

Coaching (Hugh Freeze)? Style of play? Co-Eds? The Grove?

Not looking for things like paying its players off, etc.--just want some legitimate answers why it is so hot this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same reason we started burning it up the last few years

Jan 17, 2020, 3:24 PM

The staff is recruiting well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have to be realistic when you ask this question

Jan 9, 2013, 12:01 PM

Look at the prospects that are considering Ole Miss. The same prospects every top notch program in the nation are going after, so why would these kids be interested in Ole Miss? Better facilities? No. Better tradition? No. Better chance to win a championship? No. So you have to think, what are these clowns offering these kids that is so convincing to them? Makes you wonder.

they like the Confederate flag?***

Jan 9, 2013, 12:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We weren't exactly tearing it up pre-Dabo ourselves

Jan 9, 2013, 12:23 PM [ in reply to You have to be realistic when you ask this question ]

Let's keep in mind that they've got a decent staff that's doing a good job of selling this "Up-and-comer" thing that Dabo sold our recruits on a few years ago. People wanted to play for us because they saw a program on the rise.

It's not magic. The kids think the coaches are building something, doing it in the SEC, and they recognize that early playing time is ample at Ole Miss.

That said, I hope they lose every game they play next year. But let's be real, we're not good enough to be poopoo'ing too much on Ole Miss as if we're some Bama-like football powerhouse, we're not there yet ourselves.

The $$$ issue is legitimate.***

Jan 9, 2013, 11:51 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

wondering the same thing

Jan 9, 2013, 11:51 AM

pretty odd to me....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ole Miss Invests More in Football

Jan 9, 2013, 11:57 AM

http://www2.wjtv.com/sports/2012/dec/13/ole-miss-invests-more-football-ar-5165385/

OXFORD, Miss. – With a return to postseason following a two-year absence and a renewed spirit on many fronts, Ole Miss is investing in its football program with increased salaries for its coaching staff and major upgrades to the Indoor Practice Facility, as announced Thursday by Athletics Director Ross Bjork.

After guiding the Rebels to a dramatic turnaround this season, head coach Hugh Freeze’s contract has been extended by one year and his base salary will rise to $2 million. Ole Miss improved from 2-10 in 2011 to 6-6 this year and will compete in the BBVA Compass Bowl on Jan. 5.

Freeze can earn $100,000 per SEC win beginning with the second victory, and his remaining incentive package stays the same as 2012. In addition, the salary pool for Freeze’s staff will increase by 10 percent.

“Coach Freeze and his staff quickly changed the culture and added the necessary confidence in our football program, and we look forward to seeing our rise among the SEC elite under his leadership. We all believe that Coach Freeze is the perfect fit for Ole Miss, and we are just beginning to see the fruits of everyone's hard work,” Bjork said. “The facility enhancements are all about giving our coaches a greater platform to recruit from and our student-athletes the best tools to be successful. While we are proud of our current facilities, we cannot simply maintain or we fall behind. These enhancements will benefit our entire athletics program and place our football facilities among the finest in the nation.”

As part of the Forward Together campaign, a $12.5 million renovation and expansion of the Indoor Practice Facility will commence in early 2013. The project will be built in phases and is expected to be completed by late 2013 and early 2014.

“I want to thank Ross and our administration for their commitment to this program, our players and coaches. My family and I love Ole Miss, and this is a great place to call home,” Freeze said. “While we are proud of our accomplishments this season, we have yet to reach our goal of returning championships to the University of Mississippi. This investment and particularly the facility improvements are a major step in providing our players the best student-athlete experience and creating an environment that will attract the nation’s top recruits.”

Among the upgrades is the construction of a full kitchen and dining hall that will be part of the Ole Miss dining program and open to every student and faculty and staff member. The facility will provide a nutrition center for all Ole Miss student-athletes and will be in the vicinity of the current banquet room. Ole Miss Athletics will also hire a full time nutritionist to supplement the current program and grow the overall Health and Sports Performance department.

The new team meeting room will be constructed on the north end of the facility in the current lawn between the building and the south endzone of Vaught Hemingway Stadium. It will seat approximately 200, doubling the capacity of the current team room, and the meeting area will be outfitted with state-of-the-art audio/video equipment and coaching software.

Adjacent to the team room will be a new head coach’s office, putting all of the staff on the same level in the renovated coaching suite.

With the construction of the new team room, a new front door and recruiting room will be erected on the sight of the current team room. The recruiting room will contain trophies, memorable images and interactive exhibits and will celebrate the rich tradition of Rebel football with recruits, alumni and fans.

The existing weight room will be expanded on the east side, widening the area by 2,000 square feet. The current locker room will also be enhanced and expanded and will include a new player lounge on the west side of the IPF.

The large scale components of the Forward Together campaign remain on track with the new arena scheduled for completion before the 2015-16 season. The expansion of the north end zone and renovations at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium will begin as fund-raising and planning evolves. More details on the specific arena location and Vaught-Hemingway Stadium project will be released in the first quarter of 2013.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

eSECpn TV money I guess***

Jan 9, 2013, 11:58 AM

Re: eSECpn TV money I guess***

Jan 9, 2013, 11:59 AM

We've got to fix our own ACC football TV deal.

One thing i thougt was interesting about this is that the

Jan 9, 2013, 12:01 PM

coach is getting a $100,000 bonus for every SEC win.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: Question: Why Ole Miss all of a sudden?

Jan 9, 2013, 12:03 PM

Don't think there really is a legitimate reason.

probably their coaches are just doing work in recruiting

Jan 9, 2013, 12:04 PM

I don't buy all of the conspiracy theories, partially because the only way programs really get better is by recruiting above their heads at some point. Clemson has done it, although Clemson has far more football tradition than Ole Miss.

Someone else on here suggested that it might be that Ole Miss is just offering almost everybody. I don't know how many offers most teams send out, but 250 some odd seems high. On the other hand, that doesn't really explain why they'd be in it with so many of the big time recruits.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This. There is no conspiracy.

Jan 9, 2013, 12:26 PM

They're a program on the rise from the depths of irrelevancy. They're still not really relevant, but there are signs of life, and their coaches appear to be doing a great job on the recruiting trail.

We've still got a lot of work to do ourselves. People still wonder what's going on at Clemson when we bag big names recruit, just like so many of you are now doing with Ole Miss. Let's not forget that we're no powerhouse or dynasty just yet. Depending on how we do next year, you may be able to start making the case for elite level, or even the powerhouse part, but we've still got work to do, just like Ole Miss.

Honeymoon phase

Jan 9, 2013, 12:11 PM

For a potential program on the rise. Great players want a quick, clear path to depth chart on a team that might be a good one while they're there.

because of that movie that came out a couple of years ago

Jan 9, 2013, 12:17 PM

with Sandra Bulloch in it. hollywood and viral videos are the ultimate recruiting tool.

Sandra Bullock and "The Blind Side"***

Jan 9, 2013, 12:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Question: Why Ole Miss all of a sudden?

Jan 9, 2013, 12:30 PM

Because they have started "adopting" 18 year old kids with good 40 times or great bench press numbers again.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,375
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic