Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ques for the old timers regarding skill positions..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 2,536

Ques for the old timers regarding skill positions..

Oct 9, 2013, 1:30 AM

In thinking about seeing the Spiller years and now the great performances by Tajh week in and week out, the thought crossed my mind that I've been able to enjoy the best RB and QB to play at Clemson. But have I? Spiller had a huge impact on our program even years after he left. Have other skill players brought the positive attention and been as loved as Spiller or Boyd?

Did Terry Allen bring what Spiller brought? Is there another RB I should consider? What about best QBs at Clemson. Whitehurst and Dantler were fun, but not better than Tajh. What about some older qbs?

Now I know some like to show off and name drop to show how long they've been a fan, but are there really any truly better in our history?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to reading the thoughts y'all have.

Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: soywaker®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Ques for the old timers regarding skill positions..

Oct 9, 2013, 1:41 AM

In my 51 years of watching Clemson FB. I have never seen a better QB at Clemson than Tajh Boyd, never!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2013, 8:40 AM

Danny Ford was recently a guest on a local sports show here and was asked if Tajh Boyd reminded him of Homer Jordan. Danny replied, "Well not really. Tajh would have to win all his ball games and win a NC to start that conversation." He went on to say that going undefeated for a QB is very difficult and it's hard for him to compare a QB to Homer Jordan when looking at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Steve Fuller may have been the best***

Oct 9, 2013, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Ques for the old timers regarding skill positions.. ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Oct 9, 2013, 3:41 AM

As far as positive attention, No. Media is obviously different now compared to even 10 years ago let alone 30.

Spiller, Boyd and Sammy Watkins have had the biggest media impact in my opinion in regards to Clemson football.

Terry Allen was a very very very special RB. We also had Kenny Flowers as well. We just inserted RBs and they performed well.

Tracey Johnson was one heck of a fullback.

As far as QB. Well all Rodney Williams ever did was win but that seems to be what Tajh does as well.

But as far as electric players, Spiller and Boyd are probably the best.

Defensively, now that is a different post

Oct 9, 2013, 6:31 AM

Rodney Williams - option quarterback

Rudy Harris - full back - Brockton, Mass.

WR - Perry Tuttle & Jerry Butler were pretty good too.

Agree - defense is another story

Terry Smith at WR, and Ronald Williams pre-injury at rb.

Oct 9, 2013, 11:05 AM

But CJ is the most talented player I ever saw play at Clemson, that goes back to '86. But I always thought JD was a better pure rb. As much as he did, we underused CJ too often.

Tajh is def the best QB. Rodney WIlliams holds a special place in our hearts, but he could barely hit the backside of a barn when he threw the ball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2013, 6:37 AM

Woodrow was an animal. I would have LOVED to see him in this offense. He was a better runner than Tajh but he had the arm just as well. He never had the arsenal of WR's like Tajh had. But like I said earlier to see him in this type of offense would have been ridiculous. He would have had a field day.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My son and I talk about Woody being in this offense.

Oct 9, 2013, 2:32 PM

DYNAMITE!! Can not even imagine the yards he would have put up running the ball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have had some great RBs.

Oct 9, 2013, 6:40 AM

Terry Allen was awesome. I watched him go 73yds against FSU for a TD in '89 in Tallahasse

I saw it too. We mocked the Tomahawk Chop afterwards !***

Oct 9, 2013, 7:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there as well and...........

Oct 9, 2013, 11:01 AM [ in reply to We have had some great RBs. ]

that was one of my all time favorite Clemson plays and my 2nd favorite victory after the 1981 NC game. I think we did tomahawk chops all the way back to the car.....it was an awesome experience that night in Tally and Allen the 2nd best CU back after Spiller, IMHO!

Do you remember sitting in what was basically nice

Oct 9, 2013, 12:44 PM [ in reply to We have had some great RBs. ]

high school bleachers in the endzone that night? My, but how the facilities have changed.

Also K. Flowers and Terrance Flagler

Oct 9, 2013, 6:43 AM

were great. As for QB, though, the option was just a different animal. We had great option QB's, but that did not look nearly as impressive on the field as today's "O" with Tajh and company.

I dont think one can ever say that one player

Oct 9, 2013, 7:18 AM

was the best. There are always a handful that you have to put in the same boat, I think. Fuller and Dantzler were as good as you can get. Gore, Allen, Flowers and Flagler were playmakers. Preister was a beast you could ride back to the barn.

Bulter was all world at wr. Tuttle set records during a 4 year run where we averaged, literally, 10 throws a game, which we now do in one drive. Tuttle would get his mail in the endzone if he played for Morris.

Those guys better than the guys today? No. As good? Yes. A National Championship doesnt fall out of the sky.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lester Brown

Oct 9, 2013, 7:21 AM

In the beginning of our great run, RB Lester Brown and FB Marvin Sims were the toughest backs we ever had, followed closely by Austin and McSwain. Maybe not most talented but fundamentally sound. All were winners.
Tajh is best QB, but Homer and Woody are close seconds.
WR was Butler, Nuk and Sammy. Turtle right there too.
Best LB Davis and Brown duo. No comparison.
DB Kinard and Dawkins
Cat backer is Andy Headen
Kicker. Obed and Iggy hands down.
D line. Michael dean Perry
O line. Bostic brothers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Steve Fuller made our program relevant again. That is

Oct 9, 2013, 7:47 AM

why his name is on the Stadium. In their own way and time they are all great. I wouldn't trade any of them.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you should list a t.e. for clemsons all-timers.

Oct 9, 2013, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Lester Brown ]

i would go b.cunningham, d.allen, j.riggs in that order.

The brand of football played at Clemson today is so much more exciting than the old off tackle stuff. Rodney was slick as owl poop in the triple option, the Perry brothers were immovable objects and we had studs at RB. We should be thankful to folks who we bad mouthed over the years for evolving our facilities into what we now proudly display to the country. I just hope in the future we are not looking back on this era wistfully.

Spiller was a threat to score every time he stepped on the field.

Teams had to defend against him specifically every play. He may be the most potent RB we have ever had. On kickoffs, teams kicked the other way because they were afraid of him.

Re: Spiller was a threat to score every time he stepped on the field.

Oct 9, 2013, 8:10 AM

There was none better than Spiller! He was a threat to score every time he touched the ball. Did he play hurt his senior year? lol Offensive football is so much different today, but we have a few quarterbacks that would shine in Chads offense.

Oct 9, 2013, 8:25 AM

I'd have to agree with a lot said here already.

Tajh hands down - best QB at CU ever. Terry Allen was awesome back in the day - albeit a little over the top with confidence. I was on campus during this time, and he used to walk around to/from class with a cane and all dressed to the 9's, lol.

Also agree - defense, another thread should be devoted. My favorite all-time player is still Levon Kirkland. Biggest linebacker I've ever seen in person. Full-on beast.

Given the offense we run now

Oct 9, 2013, 9:03 AM

it is tough to compare. Qb's were required to throw so little in the 70's-80's but still managed the games by deciding to hand it or keep it.
Terrence Flagler was a gleat slashing back. Kenny Flowers could fly. Terry Allen was a great "pure" back. Travis Zachery and Priester were bigger guys that bruised. Ronald Williams was solid.
Still I think Nealon Greene and Dantzler would flourish in Chad Morris' offense. Brandon Streeter prob would too. I don't think there is any question Whitehurst and Kyle Parker would fit nicely running it.
Offensively Spiller is as dangerous as any player we have ever had. Watkins and Justin Miller rank up there too.

Oct 9, 2013, 9:12 AM

In addition to all those guys, one of my favorites was Keith Adams. IMO - his speed/quickness was on par with Clowney & Beasley. I hated to watch him go pro early. Didn't he come back to CLEMSON and is one of our coaches?

Also, Justin Miller was freaking awesome at running KO's back. Amazing speed. I hated that he went pro early too.

I loved the LB crew we had...

Oct 9, 2013, 9:13 AM

Kirkland, J Johnson, Brewster, Sheppard and McDaniel.

that LB crew was absurd but don't forget #49

Oct 9, 2013, 10:22 AM

Wayne Simmons....dude ran a 4.3 or something stupid like that.

pure RB? i'd take Terry Allen over CJ but i'd take CJ

Oct 9, 2013, 10:21 AM

and put him all over the field: slot, WR, motion, TB, everything back. Terry Allen is the best pure RB i've seen at Clemson in my years of watching back to '77. As for QB, i'd take Tajh over them all with Steve Fuller as his backup. Fuller was just as tough as Tajh and faster as a runner but Tajh's arm is the best we've had that i've seen. WR-wise, Sammy and Nuk are the two best i've seen and i'd take Butler, Tuttle, and Gardner off the bench. Defensively i could give you a starting 11 from '78 to '91 that would keep every defensive player we have on the bench the whole game, every game. Our '88 to '91 defenses were so ruthless that it was laughable.

i'm not sure we could keep vic off the field. the young man

Oct 9, 2013, 10:29 AM

just makes plays. game changers,at that. not saying he would get 100% of the snaps, but he would get some serious pass-rushing needed now type playing time.

i agree....i take it back. I'd take him as a situational

Oct 9, 2013, 10:40 AM

pass rusher. But he'd ride some pine on running downs if you take a look at some of the beasts we've had on the DL all-time.....

I appreciate the thoughtful answers y'all. . its

Oct 9, 2013, 12:30 PM

been fun to read. Makes me proud to be a Tiger.
I've thought for a while that Nuk didn't get the credit he deserved until last year. His true FR year he was the only WR catching passes!
I've been around since N Green and agree that Priester and Zachary were workload bruisers for us.
Love the conversation, and none of it really matters outside of recognizing what a collection of talent we've had flowing through the Valley as of late.
I love em all.. they're Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

What about the great red headed CB, Jimmy Ness? He had

Oct 9, 2013, 12:51 PM

skills...Well, at least he had red hair. He was pretty good.

Not saying that CJ was or wasn't the best but he has

Oct 9, 2013, 2:39 PM

become my favorite player due to his exploits on the field and involvement with Clemson since his graduation. Boyd will do the same I think and this is what we need to do more of, keeping former players involved. Dabo is doing a great job of this. BTW saw my first Clemson game in 1948 and have been hooked every since.

Replies: 31
| visibility 2,536
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic