Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Q&A with Clemson defensive coordinator Kevin Steele
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Sep 21, 2010, 11:32 PM

Kevin Steele sat down with the media on Tuesday and discussed the defense after three games, the Auburn game and the upcoming contest against Miami. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Q&A with Clemson defensive coordinator Kevin Steele

Sep 22, 2010, 10:13 AM

I agree on the more physical play. My only question of this team lies with Steele. He might be the nicest guy, but that doesn't equate to wins. 2 out of 3 games they give up over 400 yards. I can handle Auburn, but most of that was 1 quarter (unacceptable). This defense is way to talented and experienced, so some where there is someone to blame. If we were going to have issues I was expecting the Offense to be in the learning mode because of youth at the receiver & running back positions. However the O scored 24 points - with the talent on D 24 should be enough.

Is he saying we are 1 quarter away from being 3-0?

Sep 22, 2010, 2:25 PM

I've heard that before... can't place it...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
- Steve Martin

Re: Is he saying we are 1 quarter away from being 3-0?

Sep 22, 2010, 2:37 PM

I am really surprised that no one is talking about the field goal at the end of the second quarter. If we had completed the half strong maybe we wouldn't be talking about one in the L column.
We let up and coasted into halftime.

I agree that the last drive was critical.

Sep 22, 2010, 3:14 PM

However, I don't believe we "let up". The defense never wants to give up points no matter the situation. How many times have we been in a situation where we just said, "This half has been horrible. If we could just go down and salvage three." and then did it. Doesn't always lead to a big second half or a comeback but it makes us feel better.

Same can be said for this game. Sure they got the points and they were piviotal in the end, but that is just the nature of the beast. A hurry up offense to try to get something going sometimes works and it is not necessarily because the defense wasn't trying or wasn't focused.

Very concernd about our 3rd quarter play

Sep 22, 2010, 5:25 PM

For a while it seemed like we got down and didn't know how to get back up. By time we did we went from a 14 point lead to being 7 points behind. Although I am proud that they did come back in the fourth quarter, we shouldn't forget that the 3rd was what killed us and was the diffence in this game. We have to play 4 quarters to win games.

Re: Very concernd about our 3rd quarter play

Sep 22, 2010, 7:07 PM

I thought we played an awesome game. I don't agree that "somewhere there is someone to blame". Everyone knows that going into a SEC stadium is going to be difficult to win much less keep yourself from being embarrassed. I think we showed great heart in coming back when they could have easily folded, but instead we took them to OT and were just a dropped 3rd down TD pass in OT from jumping in the top 20 of the nation.

I don't understand why people always have to find someone to blame. Congrats to the players and coaches on representing Clemson well. The team looked real crisp, didn't have any stupid penalties and socked them in the mouth real hard. In the end, it didn't happen, but trust me, Clemson is the sort of team other teams won't want to play in a bowl game this year.

Re: Very concernd about our 3rd quarter play

Sep 22, 2010, 11:07 PM

Hey embarrassment didn't happen, but the loss shouldn't have either. Bottom line is Steele has a lot of talent and experience on the D, and in the last 7 games they have given up an avg. of 375 yards a game (not counting Pres.). Four of those teams shouldn't have been putting those #'s on us. However, Steele is becoming consitent in saying the same thinks over & over - Missing asignments and not tackling (starting to sound like an old O coordinator we use to have). When does it get corrected? Mean while the younger Napier is looking like an all pro with younger talent on O.
My point being I'm hoping Dabo isn't too loyal - I'm all for giving Steele the rest of the year, but if we keep hearing the same hoopla, and teams keep putting yards & points on us than he needs to find another coordinator period. If Steele comes out the remainder of the games and shuts the opponents down Awesome! However, that hasn't happened in some time.
Bottom line I'm personally loving Dabo as the Head Coach & Napier as our OC, but Steele hasn't impressed me too much...

People!!!!!!!!

Sep 22, 2010, 10:29 PM

We were able somehow to talk Kevin Steele to stay here a few more yrs. Guy/Ladies WE REALLY HAVE SOMETHING SPECIAL HERE. So please give it a rest take a step back and let THE GOOD TIMES FLY WOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS...........

Only 6 people questioning Steele out of 92,000 members...

Sep 22, 2010, 10:42 PM

not a bad ratio. Let'em keep whining and wasting their breath.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Q&A with Clemson defensive coordinator Kevin Steele

Sep 23, 2010, 11:43 PM

I tell you, if you had told me we had a back rush for 140 yards, a QB over 50% on passing, a 2-0 turnover ratio to the good, and then told me we lost!! I wouldn't have believed it. We should have won that game no doubt, but I refuse to hang my head over a non-conference loss to an SEC team in their house. Especially when our boys left their guts out on the field. Yes, we let the 3rd go, but don't you think our boys know that too? I'm sure they are hammering on each other to play 4 full quarters. I'm loving the intensity of this team. I believe we have a good shot at being in the Orange Bowl in a few short months.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic