Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thomas Williams: I’ll Now Be A "Sore Winner"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Nov 4, 2008, 10:42 AM

Open Letter To Gene DeFilippo, Director of Athletics For Boston College
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oops, there goes the trophy sponsorship by BC.***

Nov 4, 2008, 10:46 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BC Band and Microphones

Nov 4, 2008, 10:56 AM

I too was confused about the amplification of the BC band. But upon further review I concluded that I liked hearing the band amplified MUCH BETTER than hearing some loud recorded music blaring over the same system...just like we do at Clemson when we blare recorded music OVER our band playing.

Our band is thinking about.......

Nov 4, 2008, 12:00 PM

moving to the West EndZone if it can be pulled off. They would switch places with the visiting band and the visiting fans would switch ends also. This is trying to be done so our band will have more "natural" amplification because of the WEZ. There are a lot of spots in our stadium where you can't hardly hear our band.

I got this from our pep band leader while waiting on the plane back from Boston Sunday morning. He said they thought of a microphone for our band but our sound system is so bad it would do more harm than good. I didn't have a problem with BC's band being heard thru speakers all over their stadium, but I didn't have a speaker stuck right in my ear either-if they would cut the volume some it would be fine,IMO.

We have a great band and it would be a better gameday experience if we could hear it better-but not obnoxiously loud.

and the students care more about singing Neil Diamond and...

Nov 4, 2008, 10:59 AM

River Dance than they do about football.

Re: and the students care more about singing Neil Diamond an

Nov 4, 2008, 5:42 PM

actually that was the dropkick murphys...the song is called "shipping up to boston" and it was made famous via its appearance on the soundtrack for the departed.

i actually really liked hearing their band- and thought the sound system really sounded good- they had a good balance and you could actually hear them throughout the game. i would not be at all opposed to clemson doing the same thing and dropping the recorded music. and i thought their student section was great- they stood up the whole time and generally seemed to have a great time cheering on their team even though they were behind most of the game. and that IS what college football is about.

Re: Thomas Williams: I’ll Now Be A "Sore Winner"

Nov 4, 2008, 11:00 AM

Right On !!!!!!

Isn't there a rule against piping sound thru stadium speakers during a play on the field? The sound was twice as loud when we were on offense.

Re: Quick, someone tell Wake!***

Nov 4, 2008, 12:19 PM

Crump

Nov 4, 2008, 11:02 AM

You probably should be deleting all these posts here on Tigerboard in regard to politics.

tattle tail***

Nov 4, 2008, 11:04 AM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

He'd be doing it all day.***

Nov 4, 2008, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Crump ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well as moderator

Nov 4, 2008, 11:12 AM

isnt that what he his supposed to do? I am sure it does not take to long to delete posts...he seems to make time for it on other days.

This does not represent Clemson well

Nov 4, 2008, 11:03 AM

They have a quality team and a quality program. They have taken us to the wire in 4 straight games, and have managed to beat us in 3 of them. Calling them out for putting a microphone in front of the band or not having the game on TVs around the stadium is childish.

Our fanbase at Clemson is not normal. Our passion for the game is unusual and that is why we are often complimented on it. You should not go to other stadiums expecting the same level of enthusiasm. And you certainly shouldn't go to a stadium in a town that has 3 great pro teams and expect anything close to the excitement we have in Clemson.

Boston College is a great program with a great coach. They will continue to present a major challenge for our football team. To blast them for not living up to our insane standards of fandom is absurd, and it hurts our own reputation for being exceptionally courteous and respectful fans. Grow up.

Fiddlesticks

Nov 5, 2008, 7:50 AM

The BC stadium environment is anything but visitor friendly. For that matter, the entire city of Boston is ain't so visitor friendly, either.

You shouldn't be telling someone to grow up because they complained about a privilege they paid for purposefully being made uncomfortable for them.

The longer we acquiesce to such Yankee asininity, the more of it we will be forced to endure. I think letting the snobby folks with the strange accents know that we expect better treatment makes perfect sense.

I have seen the future, and it is Clemson.

Hey Swoffy... Can you work up a trade? BC for WVU please***

Nov 4, 2008, 11:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think we'd really want to do that

Nov 4, 2008, 11:12 AM

BC has some shortcomings but they don't act like WVa. LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#### NO, I want to go to BC every 2 years not ..............

Nov 4, 2008, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Hey Swoffy... Can you work up a trade? BC for WVU please*** ]

BFE, oops I meant Morgantown.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

do you really feel the need to write a letter

Nov 4, 2008, 11:07 AM

to let them know you don't like how they do things. Just don't go if you don't like it. I am sure they don't need your unsolicited advice.

Just act superior like me (yes, that is my unsolicited advice)

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

In bad taste. Send Williams and Swofford a PRIVATE letter.

Nov 4, 2008, 11:39 AM

I believe it's an NCAA rule violation to pump any amplified distracting sounds into the stadium during the play of the game. So, for example you can't crank crowd noise or music into the stadium when the opposing team's offense is on the field trying to call signals. Did BC violate that rule?

Re: Wake certainly violates that rule.

Nov 4, 2008, 12:21 PM

Also, UT mics their band, but it's not particularly obnoxious and they only play at appropriate times.

Nov 4, 2008, 11:41 AM

I liked the letter! I am right there with you! Nothing is more annoying than having a speaker near you blaring music during the game. It's one thing if it’s a loud band...but when they play that through the speaker...well that's just pathetic. I know Clemson has music playing as well, and truth be told...I don't care for it a whole lot, but it is nothing like the blaring BC does! And Clemson's music comes from one main area, not a speaker in every section...where people can't even hear what the person next to them is saying. Whatever, I'll just stay below the Mason-Dixon Line and cheer for Clemson in God's country.

But if you take away their speakers you have a YALE game.***

Nov 4, 2008, 3:06 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HEAR HEAR

Nov 4, 2008, 12:12 PM

Piping in the band is a disgrace. And it doesn't do much more than drive the fans INSANE. That was far and away the worst part of my experience visiting BC, the relentless drums coming over the loudspeakers.

Has Tiger-Net become a venue for bashing other programs?

Nov 4, 2008, 12:17 PM

I hope we don't see another article like this. Honestly, whats the point? We finally beat them... and we insult the way they do things? With all that is going on in Clemson football these days, why the hell do we want to hear a random derogatory rant against one of our opponents? This does not represent our fanbase.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I thought he was just demonstrating good leadership in

Nov 4, 2008, 12:25 PM

pointing it out to them, although I'd have been a bit more polite. Clearly Wake and BC aren't going to figure these things out on their own - as the only school in the conference that knows how to "do" football games, maybe it's our responsibility to share. Don't think it's unimportant, either - bowl tie-ins are directly related to the number of butts conference schools can put in the stands, and better bowls = better perception of the conference.

Miami Hurricanes mic their band - scratch the zero.***

Nov 4, 2008, 12:41 PM

Nov 4, 2008, 1:40 PM

Though I don't post often, I have to give my two cents on this one.
This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Are you kidding me? You felt so strongly about the accommodations at an away venue that you wrote an open letter to Boston College, effectively making Clemson look like a bunch of bad-attitude rednecks. That is completely and honestly beyond stupid. This goes against everything for which I am proud of Clemson. Please, in the future, let's keep stupid comments to ourselves.

"sore winner" = Loser-getalife***

Nov 4, 2008, 2:01 PM

Can u also mention to club booster it is Clemson..not

Nov 4, 2008, 2:30 PM

Clem.....zzzzzin?

But B.C. has the longest Bowl game winning streak in theNCAA

Nov 4, 2008, 3:03 PM

Because the ONLY way they get invited to play in a decent Bowl is if they win the ACCCC, regardless of their record. Why? because other than their Band, no B.C. fans would attend the bowl game ... except for maybe some of the D#%# speakers that adorn their stadium. If I've said it once I've said it a 1000 times, B.C. sports takes a back seat to the Red Sox, the Celtics, the Patriots, and the Bruins. Oh,and you failed to mention ALL and I mean ALL of the empty parking spaces out side of gate A. Literally a stones throw from the stadium. And yes they were empty 2 years ago too.Oh and my seats were on the 45 yard line on the Clemson side on the 26th row and the row directly in front of me had ten consecutive seats that were empty in front of me, seats 26 - 36.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody likes a sore winner either!***

Nov 4, 2008, 3:55 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Nov 4, 2008, 3:58 PM

Virginia mic's their band........at least they did when I went up there for a Thursday night game in 2004.

should have said "sore whiner"***

Nov 4, 2008, 4:04 PM

Who cares? Pointless article.

Nov 4, 2008, 4:08 PM

nm

Take a xanax

Nov 4, 2008, 4:26 PM

Live and let live... You are not paying booster dues to the BC organization, so leave it alone...

Nov 4, 2008, 4:47 PM

Didn't go to Boston this year, but I went in 2006. I was so ticked off after that game mainly because we lost, but also because I grew so frustrated with them miking the band. It is really, really loud in their simply because of what Thomas said.... there are speakers every where. A person can make a stadium filled with nobody loud if you turn the volume up. It's not real fan support and frankly it's unfair and rude to the opposing team and fans.

Put on your big boy panties.

Nov 4, 2008, 5:24 PM

Grow up.

Blues States...what do you expect?***

Nov 4, 2008, 5:56 PM

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Nov 4, 2008, 6:26 PM

I hate to admit it but during one of the earlier games this year at clemson the TV's at the concession stands were also turned to another game. Be carefull I agree with a lot that you are saying just make sure you dont throw stones at a glass house.

Nov 4, 2008, 7:36 PM

your article is full of misinformation. First, BC marching band has 180. You were only off by 80 (not a very good "rough" estimate). It took about 1 minute to find that number on their web page. Second, Clemson Tiger Band is not the same size, it considerably larger at 260 members this year.

Third, Miami, UVa and BC all use a microphone to amplify their smallish marchings bands (maybe others, those are just the schools in the ACC I know of). So at least 25% of the ACC does it; not zero other ACC schools.

I too found the piped in music annoying but I also find your article amateurish, whiney, and reflects poorly on Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i would rather mic the band then pump hip-pop over the pa

Nov 5, 2008, 10:32 AM

i actually enjoyed the cadence constantly being played over the pa.

Nov 5, 2008, 10:56 AM

For full discloser I am from the northeast part of the country so i would like to shed some light on this article that is accurate but written with obviously zero knowledge of who and where you were last weekend. #1 if you want to blame the ACC for allowing BC in that is fine but do not throw darts at BC for not becoming something they are not. The northeast will never ever be a college football area anywhere close to the south. We have cities with a minimum of 4 major professional sports teams in each city Boston, NY, Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh etc. so that is where the interst and passion lies whether you ike it or not. College football is a second tier interest for these areas except for the people who are alumni of the schools in question. Most people who are from the northeast and attend these schools eventually leave the area of the school thus not being able to be a regular attendee of these games. Bottom line when you are in a larger city that professional sports dominates you will never get the interst in college football that the south has. I could probably construct the same article you wrote on how poorly the souther areas have supported professional teams placed in the south so it is a culture drawn from location and history. Go blame the ACC not the school you decided to rip for the atmosphere which is also a school that it took how many years to defeat in a game considering Clemson spends much more time and effort on their program than BC.

Nov 5, 2008, 5:10 PM

I must say I agree whole heartedly with Mr. Williams accessment of the noise situation at Boston College. This was our second trip to a Boston College game. The noise is beyond exceptable unless you are extremely hearing impaired, which many of us might just be after having to endure the excessive noise levels we experienced during the game. I purchased ear plugs for our group of 10 this year after experiencing first hand the incredible noise level two years ago.

What I found most disturbing about the BC situation, is that during the process of the game, both two years ago and this year, there were instances where the BC band never completely stopped playing during our executiion of play. Isn't this against rules? It is both rude and plays into the hands of effecting the outcome of the game. It definitely gives the home team an advantage when the band continues to play through our execution at the line of scrimmage.

Wake Forest is another school who also piping in excessive canned music beyond safe levels.

I know Clemson does some canned music, but it doesn't seem to be at a level of being unsafe and it isn't played continuously. I'm not against canned music, I just think it needs to be at safe levels and at appropriate times. Clemson's use of canned music is at more appropriate times and Clemson's band & canned music isn't played during our opposing teams execution at the line of scrimmage. I'm sure if we did, we'd be called out on it right away.

I encourage people who have been there and experienced the excessive noise levels to please contact the ACC and voice your complaint. Whose to stop the rest of the smaller schools in the ACC from doing the same thing.

The parking on the other hand is understandable since the stadium is in the very middle of a beautiful neighborhood.
There should be some solution to their parking problem.

To those who haven't been there, experience it once before slamming those who have been and are simply voicing their thoughts. Our family and friends will definitly think twice about another trip to Boston College.

The fans of Boston College are really missing out on a great game day experience of tailgating.

Lucy Walcher

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic