Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where do you stand now with the PURPLE???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 68
| visibility 201

Where do you stand now with the PURPLE???

Nov 15, 2018, 4:27 PM

It's been about 10 years now since the Regalia purple officially took the place of Navy blue. There were cries of outrage and open hostility about this and the masses were ready to storm the castle over this sacrilege. So, today with Dabo FB, Inc. at the top of the CFB mountaintop, how's the decision to implement the purple in your opinion?

---Purple is my favorite color and I think it's an awesome combination with orange. One could be superstitious and claim Tiger success coincided with this decision...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Purple tops with white pants would be better. I don't like

Nov 15, 2018, 4:29 PM

the Barney uniforms.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I agree. Tone it down with the white pants. I believe

Nov 16, 2018, 9:44 PM

that was the combo Hatfield introduced in early 90's at the Citrus Bowl against Cal or it may have been NCState game that same year. Purple jerseys/white pants for the military designated game every year. The purple pants not a good look.

Re: Where do you stand now with the PURPLE???

Nov 15, 2018, 4:31 PM

I didn’t think blue was ever official and purple was what was always the correct color.

I know we went rogue for a while, but I didn’t think we ever made navy official.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 8:19 AM

Yes. Thank you. I'm confused by why the OP thinks Navy was ever the color. It has always been purple. I think clothing lines tried to make Navy a thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Where do you stand now with the PURPLE??? ]

Nope. Purple has NEVER been a historic Clemson color. It came about in the 90's/early 2000's. It was a pointless rebranding attempt by Hatfield, and many (myself included) wish it would go away, barring a few special occasions I point out below. Purple is NOT an original Clemson color and was only adopted by mistake, although changes have been made to make purple significant and possibly more meaningful than blue.

Now, Clemson colors have transitioned a few times. Joe Sherman wrote a book on the history of Clemson and included a significant portion about the school colors which were taken from documents in Clemson's archives and historian office.

Originally the colors were Red, White, and Blue, as you can see on the first ever Clemson degree, which is on campus still (Vickery or Tillman...cant remember where). But the football team never wore these colors.

Walter Riggs helped start the football program, and brought old uniforms from Auburn, the school Riggs graduated from and coached football at.

These old Auburn uniforms had Navy Blue shirts, orange or blue pants, and orange and blue striped socks.

This was the uniform for about 30 years, until the 1920's when we briefly switched colors to Purple and Gold.

The problem with the uniforms Riggs brought over, was they easily washed out. There was no synthetic jersey nylon back then, it was all wool and cotton and leather. It washed out easily, and after a few games, the uniform colors would wash out to look more like purple and gold than Blue and Orange.

They did this Purple and Gold for a season or two, until Neely came along and standardized on the "throwback" uniforms we recognize. As the legend goes, the fans were disgruntled that Clemson couldnt pick a standard uniform. One game we might have worn orange and blue, the next we might have worn purple and gold. It was a cluster. Legend has it, people who hated the purple and gold believed it was inconsistent with Clemson tradition, and convinced Neely to officially adopt Orange and Blue by "showing Neely that purple uniforms got too hot in the sun", as Neely didnt want to get involved with something as distracting as what clothes his team would wear (sound familiar?). But, convinced that purple uniforms were too dangerous in the heat, he obliged. Thus, Clemson officially adopted Orange and Blue as our school colors in the name of "player safety".

These uniforms featured a Navy Blue helmet with an Orange "Plus" on the crown that covered the entire helmet, and a blue facemask. They had Navy Blue Jerseys with Orange numbers, and dark/burnt Orange pants with Navy Blue stripes.

These uniforms lasted almost a decade, until 1958 when Clemson played LSU in the Sugar Bowl (our first appearance in a National Championship game). At the time, TVs were only black and white, so to help the 2 teams distinguish each other better, TV producers asked Clemson to change their uniforms. Clemson obliged.

Thus, for the 1958 Sugar Bowl (played January 1959), Frank Howard chose to change up the uniforms to give Clemson better visibility.
First, Howard changed the helmet. He reversed the colors, making the helmet solid Orange, with a blue "Plus" stripe on it (a reversal of the previous uniforms).
The new jerseys were Navy Blue with orange letters, and vertical Orange stripes going over the shoulders.
The pants were white with a single blue stripe (1st time Clemson wore white pants).
These uniforms were called the "Sugar Bowl Blues" and became a memento to the football team. They treated the "Sugar Bowl Blues" as a uniform for special occasions only (same reason with the orange britches), and thus adopted Orange Jerseys in 1959. From 1959 and on, Clemson would wear Orange Helmets with a blue stripe, orange jerseys, white pants, and white shoes. They would only wear the Blue jerseys for special games, the other time being the 1962 South Carolina game when Clemson needed a little extra "sumthin'" to beat the gamecocks.

In 1960, the team got rid of the Blue "plus" stripe on the helmet and changed it to a "C" logo on the sides. Throughout the 1960's, Clemson would alternate between a "C" on the helmets, and the player's number on the helmets (similar to Bama).

Thus, through the 1960's, Clemson colors were:
Orange helmet with white "C" or white player number
Orange jerseys with Blue stripes and blue numbers, later change to white numbers only
White pants
White shoes

In 1967, Clemson players had a big game coming up against a good NC State team, who wore red shoes. For good measure, Clemson painted their shoes orange and went on to defeat the Wolfpack.

In 1969, as part of a decade long re-branding effort which started with integrating women and minorities on campus, Clemson started making plans to redsign our logo. And, in the summer of 1970, R.C. Edwards officially signed off on the proposal to officially adopt the "Paw" logo we all know and love today.

Fast forward 10 years. Its 1980, Clemson is having a rough season, and the final game of the season is coming up against South Carolina, who was enjoying one of the best seasons in their history. Before the game, Danny Ford showed Jeff Davis these "orange britches" that had been sitting in uniform storage for who knows how long. Davis and other players loved the orange britches, and demanded they be allowed to wear them. Seeing an opportunity to shake things up and light a fire in his team, Danny Ford let the team wear the orange britches, and they went on to clobber the coots in 1980.

In the 1980's, Clemson wore:
Orange helmet with white facemask and white paw
Orange jerseys with white letters and white paw on shoulders
White Jerseys with orange letters and orange paw
White pants with orange stripes
Orange pants with blue and white stripes

In 1992, Ken Hatfield introduced purple jerseys. No one knows why. I believe this was around the time Clemson had our "Throwback game" against UGA with the throwback uniforms. Most Clemson faithful hate Hatfield, and credit him as being the one that drove the program into the ground with a bunch of bone headed coaching decisions. The purple uniforms were one of these boneheaded moves.

Clemson hadn't worn purple since the early 1930's, and even then, they only wore purple every once in a while. Remember, the purple and gold uniforms only existed because the Orange and White uniforms kept washing out in the sun and the laundry.

The purple uniforms started as, and always were, a complete mistake.

Hatfield decided to bring the Barney purple uniforms because he wanted to launch another "rebranding era". Hatfield wanted to bring Clemson back to the top of college football, and he wanted to be the center of attention in this ambitious plan. Thus, Hatfield focused on rebranding Clemson football in his image, and among the first moves he made in rebranding was getting rid of the Regalia Blue Clemson had used for over 100 years. Hatfield wanted to make the rebranding easy to swallow, so he chose purple.

Thus, in 1992, Clemson started wearing purple jerseys. Hatfield even introduced them the same way Danny Ford introduced the Orange britches in 1980, and the way Howard brought back the Sugar Bowl Blues in 1962: Hatfield had the team warm up in orange jerseys during pregame, but had them run down the hill in purple jerseys.

Thus, began the 1990's era of Clemson football: the most disappointing era in Clemson football history, marred by a rash of boneheaded decisions, from unofficially changing the colors from Blue to Purple, to making poor coaching decisions, and more.

Then, enter Dabo Swinney in 2008. We all know this story. Dabo came in, cut out the distractions, and got the program focused on upholding true Clemson tradition, and winning championships. He simplified our uniforms in a Danny Ford-esque fashion, and all but banned the purple uniforms citing them as not traditional, and a huge distraction to the players. Not to mention, they looked like complete #### when combined with orange (see purple shirts, orange pants....barf).

Knowing the history of our uniforms, there is no doubt that purple had absolutely no place in our color palette. It was never an official color adopted by the school, even on the handful of times the team wore Purple and Gold. The school has only had 2 sets of official colors: Red and Blue, and Orange and Regalia Blue (similar to the blue Auburn wears). It wasn't until the Tommy Bowden era that Clemson started putting "Barney Purple" on our degrees and school merchandise/banners and call it "Regalia". Up until the mid 2000's, Clemson's official colors were Orange, White, and "Regalia Blue".
BTW, true Regalia is very deep Navy Blue. It is NOT purple.

Please also note, that the Barney Purple also came along around the same time the Clemson Tiger Band Color Guard started the "woohoo" in Tiger Rag, and they did so under Hatfield's idea of "rebranding" Clemson into something it is not.

Dabo has always been against the purple, it doesnt make sense. Anyone familiar with Clemson's history knows that purple is so grossly inconsistent with our history. And when Hatfield, West, and Bowden paired purple pants/shirt with orange pants/shirt, it looked atrocious.

However, Dabo did help launch a way to utilize the purple uniforms in a way that makes sense: military appreciation as a tribute to the Purple Heart and those Clemson veterans that gave the ultimate sacrifice, and an ode to our rich history as a military college. To this end, I am okay with purple, as Dabo has finally figured out a way to tie the color purple into Clemson's history and tradition in a very unique and special way that honors our veterans. In this capacity, I think purple is acceptable. I did not like Hatfield's idea of adopting purple just for the sake of shaking things up for absolutely no reason at all.

If we are going to continue with purple, I think it should be a sacred color, more sacred than orange. It should be something we wear only on the most special of occasions to honor the fallen veterans from Clemson's history. It should hold a higher and more commemorative meaning than just "being different". If we are going to have a color combination that is orange and purple...we should have a reason to make it special, because otherwise it looks really tacky.

But, in the name of honoring our fallen Tigers, I think it is appropriate and holds a significantly more deeper meaning than Blue ever did.

I still think Blue looks better and is more consistent, but I like the way Dabo has rebranded the purple to be a uniquely special color standing only to commemorate our veterans. I also like that its JUST purple. Its focused, it doesnt exist to be flashy or different, it exists to honor fallen veterans and only that reason alone. As such, thats why on one day a year, we wear ALL purple, to remember the fallen Clemson veterans that gave their ALL. I cant think of any other school that does that, and that is really special.

That is why, when we use purple, we should treat it as a sacred symbol of respect use it sparingly and use it for that special occasion only.

Nov 16, 2018, 1:12 PM

Not to be that guy, but that's a ton of writing to be wrong on it not being historic.

The official first colors of Clemson were RED and blue, not orange and blue. They wore purple and gold at one time because there red and blue washed out easy and fadec (like you pretty much stated) but also because the color combo became too confusing. The orange AND PURPLE came in with Walter Riggs in 1896. AU's color wasn' navy blue back then, it was purple.
http://knottinghillinteriors.com/clemson-vs-carolina-a-history-of-rivalry-and-of-color/

"Clemson – Orange, Purple and the Tiger — The first “colors” of Clemson can be seen in an early diploma displayed on campus. But to everyone’s surprise, they’re red and blue! The orange and purple began when Walter Merritt Riggs formed Clemson’s first football team in 1896. Because Riggs had come from Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama (later renamed Auburn), he borrowed ideas from their team colors, orange and purple, and their mascot, the Tiger. Although the football team was known as the Tigers and often used “Eat ‘Em Up, Tigers” as a slogan, it wasn’t until 1954 that a Clemson student donned the mascot suit."

Nov 16, 2018, 2:58 PM

Maybe historic was the wrong word, because purple did show up briefly in our history. But, its certainly not a Clemson tradition and was not a recognized color until the mid 2000s' when the administration basically said "ah, screw it, they're wearing purple anyways".

Also, I did clearly state at the beginning that our original colors were red and blue, and named where I thought the location of Clemson's 1st diploma was located that shows these colors.

Riggs brought the Orange and Blue from Auburn. Clemson has never worn red and blue uniforms. The Orange and Blue kept washing out into purple and gold, so for a few years before Neely arrived, we wore Purple and Gold uniforms on occasion, but wearing them was hardly consistent. One week we may have worn the old Auburn Unis with Blue shirts and orange striped socks, other days we may have worn the purple and gold ones. It was never a consistent uniform until Neely arrived and made the decision to quit the uniform nonsense. Thats when we started wearing a pattern similar to the "throwback" unis in the 90's.

Ultimately, it was Frank Howard that gave us the orange helmets and orange jerseys.

Most of this expose is actually copied and pasted from a paper I had to write for one of those BS "core" classes I had to take at Clemson.

Nov 16, 2018, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Where do you stand now with the PURPLE??? ]

I have a vintage 1927 stuffed Clemson Tiger which is orange with purple stripes. I also have 1927 Clemson football player (doll). He has the leather helmet, orange shirt with block C letter on the front. The shirt is trimmed in purple. Thus, purple has been around for a while.

I like the purple. Orange is my favorite, but like purple trim. I think we had a very good record when we wore the purple bottoms with the orange tops.

Message was edited by: tshark®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A correction . . .

Nov 16, 2018, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Where do you stand now with the PURPLE??? ]

Hatfield's introduction of the purple wasn't around the time of the 100th year anniversary throwbacks. Hatfield introduced Purple jerseys in 1991, (and even then it was only twice that year and no purple at all again until 2001 - Clemson didn't "start wearing" purple jerseys in 1991, it was a two-time thing until the 2000's). The 100th year throwbacks were worn once in 1995 and once in 1996.

Re: A correction . . .

Nov 16, 2018, 3:03 PM

And yeah, it was 1991 not 1992, typo on my part as I paraphrased a few places to hopefully shorten my...novel.

But, 1991 was the first time Clemson had any purple uniforms in like, 60 years. They were purchased specifically during the 1991 season. The other instances of purple, were basically an accident until Neely put an end to it.

Another thing . . .

Nov 16, 2018, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Where do you stand now with the PURPLE??? ]

You state in one place that purple is not an "original" Clemson color, and another place that it wasn't an "historic" Clemson color. One response to your posts questions the veracity of it not being original, but I acknowledge I'm unsure of that. But about it not being historic, well, that's more debatable. If they were worn in the 20's and 30's, and 40's, but only here and there, but then again in 1992, then it seems they aren't entirely outside of Clemson's history, even if admittedly only sporadically and a few decades into the football team's history.

In any event, history means something, obviously, but it's not always the end-all be all. Given the breadth of things up till now, Purple is far more ingrained and part of the fabric of our tradition than the original colors you state - red, white, and blue. Those colors, no matter how early and how official, simply aren't a part of the structure and fabric of our tradition like purple is. So it seems a broader analysis of the history is in order. Of course, this doesn't strip anyone of the right to their opinions about whether or not they like the use of purple, but as a matter of logical historical analysis, one is hard pressed to argue that the semi-historical and currently used purple has less of a claim than the comparatively more historical, original, and official colors of red, white and blue. It's like the development of language, at some point, it develops a history of it's own.

Re: Another thing . . .

Nov 16, 2018, 3:16 PM

True, not original or official (until now), but probably historical. I meant to imply historical = original/official. Purple was used because people got tired of buying new uniforms for a while. Still, there is no photographic evidence that I have seen (even in Clemson archives) of any purple and gold uniforms. Granted, they are black and white, but pretty much all official Clemson records omit any reference to purple and gold. Had it not been for a couple of team members and a couple of fans that could recount the few times we wore it, it would have been forgotten. That tells you how rarely our team actually wore purple and gold, considering official Clemson records dont even reference it.

While it may be part of our history, purple and gold was so sparingly used that it never even made an impact, except for when Hatfield decided to bring it back during his own rebranding of the program. But, that was kind of the theme of the Hatfield era and sums up his way of thinking perfectly: "Hey everyone, its the 100 year anniversary of Clemson, so lets celebrate and enhance our image by adopting an obnoxious color that we only used once in the past on accident and isnt an official school color which no one remembers and had absolutely zero impact on Clemson history and culture to celebrate our history!"

Personally, to celebrate the Clemson centennial, I think Gray would have been more appropriate as I believe that was the color of the uniforms the cadets wore when it was a military college.

Nov 17, 2018, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Where do you stand now with the PURPLE??? ]

Wow, thanks for the history. If I was back in school I would have asked for the cliff notes version, but was happy I’ve aged and enjoyed the full monty

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2018, 4:34 PM

Lose the Barney suits.

Nov 15, 2018, 4:39 PM

I'm good if we keep it all purple and keep in for military appreciation day ONLY. Never mix it with orange except for helmet & pants stripes.

Barney is a lighter shade of purple

Nov 15, 2018, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Where do you stand now with the PURPLE??? ]

So don't disrespect the regalia

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Nov 15, 2018, 4:36 PM

I honestly LOVE the regalia purple and wish we included more of it into every uniform. Military Appreciation weekend is my favorite of all colorways and by a lot.

OK with it one game per year***

Nov 15, 2018, 4:37 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 15, 2018, 4:39 PM

I think most people couldn't care less if we wore clown suits as long as we continue to win championships.

Nov 15, 2018, 5:01 PM

Yep, if we are winning championships, I wouldn't care if we were wearing orange and purple long johns with boxer shorts over the long johns with the Hawaiian flower pattern on the boxers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a soft spot for it ever since Ga Tech 2006

Nov 15, 2018, 4:41 PM

Once a year for Military Appreciation is enough though.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have 1 Purple Short Sleeve

Nov 15, 2018, 4:41 PM

but everything else is Orange, White and Grey.

I will say, if I ever see one of the purple jackets BV was wearing at BC, I'm buying it on the spot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have 1 Purple Short Sleeve

Nov 15, 2018, 5:27 PM

Well BV would rather wear the purple over the orange Oklahoma St wore or wears some shade of orange, and he now hates orange!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He wears purple

Nov 15, 2018, 5:58 PM

so players can find him for the calls on the sidelines.

Re: He wears purple

Nov 15, 2018, 10:50 PM

I'm telling that BV said that he didn't like wearing orange, and his reasoning for that was bc of all the years that he coached at Oklahoma, and their #1 RIVAL Oklahoma St wore orange and he doesn't feel comfortable in orange. I'm sure that his hate for orange has been relieved some with his time as a Clemson coach, but he still wears a lot more Purple than you will ever see him in orange.

Re: I have 1 Purple Short Sleeve

Nov 15, 2018, 9:35 PM [ in reply to I have 1 Purple Short Sleeve ]

TigerCC® said:

but everything else is Orange, White and Grey.

I will say, if I ever see one of the purple jackets BV was wearing at BC, I'm buying it on the spot.

That jacket was out 5 years ago. I got one for Christmas and wife and son did too. I bought the other 2 on Clearance at Tiger Sports shop. BV loves his purple in honor of K State

I second that!***

Nov 16, 2018, 11:46 AM [ in reply to I have 1 Purple Short Sleeve ]

I found one on eBay a couple years back. Good luck!***

Nov 16, 2018, 12:22 PM [ in reply to I have 1 Purple Short Sleeve ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Nov 15, 2018, 4:44 PM

Not a big fan, but it works for Military Appreciation Day. Would like to see some camo pattern subtly incorporated in the stripes/piping around the shirt and pants to make the "military" part more obvious. Right now, Military and Purple don't automatically correlate for most people who don't know the reasoning. I think we could do a little better, but I'm not complaining. Like another guy said, as long as we keep winning - and nobody is making fun of us like they do Oregon and others - who cares, really. Just no purple tops/orange pants or vice versa combo! That was awful!

Nov 15, 2018, 5:40 PM

Absolutely, Camo would be awesome for Military appreciation day!!! I would bet that those Military guys would love that more with all the branches of the service, and they would feel more like it was their appreciation over anything else that our player could wear!!! Somebody that's down there a lot should mention that to Dabo. Or we could load his E-mail up suggesting the Camo to him just for our Military appreciation day. I'm betting he would give it serious consideration for next season!!!!

I couldn't care LESS!

Nov 15, 2018, 4:45 PM

I don't care if they trot out there in another school's unform... play the dang game! Get the win! Go home.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: I couldn't care LESS!

Nov 15, 2018, 4:47 PM

I gave you a TU just because you phrased the subject correctly, which 9 out of 8 people do not do!

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

I could care less about your point

Nov 15, 2018, 5:09 PM

;)

Really, I could more or less....

Nov 15, 2018, 4:45 PM

Love the purple.

Prince would be a fan (R.I.P.)

Would love the purple added to the stripe of the white pants at home so we could differentiate from 'Bama look. I've grown to like the road stripes (looks slick) but at home I feel like I'm looking a 'Bama Clemson uniforms.

Maybe someday they'll be able to incorporate the color a little more but happy for how they're used as well today.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2018, 10:26 PM

Absolutely. 2 orange stripes and 1 purple between them on the white britches. Just like the purple between the white stripes on the orange britches. We need a little more purple on our regular uniforms. A little. The stripes would get it done. Purp and orange. Go tigers!!

Nov 15, 2018, 4:49 PM

What are you talking about?? Our colors have always been burnt orange and purple.

Nov 15, 2018, 4:54 PM

Yes it looks good with some Orange. I wear a Purple shirt to church with an Orange Tie with white paws all over it, and the coots just hate it, and I Love it!!!;)

Nov 15, 2018, 8:53 PM

I would have thought from your name that you wear all orange all of the time

Purple is the color of royalty

Nov 15, 2018, 4:56 PM

I like the combo of purple and orange, makes us unique. If you like blue and orange then you can pull for Florida, UVA,, Illinois, Boise St., Syracuse or any of the many other schools with that combo.

I wonder if Northwestern fans complain this much about purple?

Re: Purple is the color of royalty

Nov 15, 2018, 5:47 PM

or Aw-burn

Nah - I like the Regalia!!! Use it as often to highlight the Orange as you want.

All Purple for Military Appreciation only!!!

Re: Purple is the color of royalty

Nov 15, 2018, 10:53 PM [ in reply to Purple is the color of royalty ]

Purple is a huge color for Easter Eggs!!! ;)

Nov 15, 2018, 5:06 PM

I never care what they wear.

Nov 15, 2018, 5:09 PM

officially

Clemson Orange, Regalia and Fort Hill ( white )

Purple to recognize the Purple Heart, first awarded as the Badge of Military Merit under orders of General Washington.

Why is that not perfect ?

Im a bit old school, but I like it.***

Nov 15, 2018, 5:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Purple is awesome...especially with orange.

Nov 15, 2018, 5:12 PM

I don't know that I'd like to see solid purple more than once a year...but with orange britches would be welcome...and, I should point out that Dabo's plan for unis is just fine with me.

I likes da world goin' "Hmm, I thought the Clemson game was supposed to be on this channel"...hehehe :)

Navy was never a Clemson color, though a lot was worn in the

Nov 15, 2018, 5:14 PM

80's and 90's.

Northwest Purple was our official color, along with Burnt Orange until Clemson Orange and Regalia were trademarked.

Re: Navy was never a Clemson color, though a lot was worn in the

Nov 15, 2018, 5:23 PM

Letter Jacket from back in day IS PURPLE with Orange and White. Seen plenty of Navy, never thought it was an official school color though. I own Purple, Orange & White items, nothing else.

Nov 15, 2018, 6:03 PM

It was Orange and Northwest purple when I was there from 1968 to 1972. I still have my Army ROTC patch to prove it. I also did the first Army ROTC information brochure for the military science dept. for a course that I was taking for my senior year in Graphic Arts. I had to get the colors exact for a picture of the patch. Navy blue was never an official color for Clemson.

Nov 16, 2018, 11:51 AM

Any Navy worn in the 90's was just leftovers from the

Nov 15, 2018, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Navy was never a Clemson color, though a lot was worn in the ]

early 80's. Hatfield brought us the purple.

Purple Digital Camo with Chrome Purple Helmets and Shiny

Nov 15, 2018, 5:19 PM

Purple Cleats FTW

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Be happy about PURPLE because...

Nov 15, 2018, 5:19 PM

...it's actually our official secondary color and we should proudly wear it...not to replace our primary color which is our identity and recognized brand with the paw but...

I thought it stupid back when the gators forgot that blue was their PRIMARY color and orange was secondary and they kept wearing orange jerseys. Technically, the swamp should look primarily blue with scattered orange on game days.

Then you have all this nonsense in CF now with many teams wearing "gun metal" which is not their color. At least when the coots wear all black it's their secondary color.

its been longer than 10 years

Nov 15, 2018, 5:21 PM

Purple made a comeback in the early 2000s, ending the nightmare period of navy blue in the late 90s. Blue started to creep into clemson gear, the big paw on jervey gym used to be outlined in navy blue. Very glad that was axed,

Don't like it. Purple should be...

Nov 15, 2018, 5:50 PM

...used for dark accents and piping. We ain't no danged Furman Paladins.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2018, 5:55 PM

Love the purple.

All purple

White top purple bottoms
Purple top white bottoms

Love all of it

Nov 15, 2018, 6:19 PM

coachmac said:

It's been about 10 years now since the Regalia purple officially took the place of Navy blue. There were cries of outrage and open hostility about this and the masses were ready to storm the castle over this sacrilege. So, today with Dabo FB, Inc. at the top of the CFB mountaintop, how's the decision to implement the purple in your opinion?

---Purple is my favorite color and I think it's an awesome combination with orange. One could be superstitious and claim Tiger success coincided with this decision...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

once a year is enough - and purple and orange are tough colors to keep up

Nov 15, 2018, 8:59 PM

The reason we ever had navy and orange is because the original colors of purple and gold faded too easily back in the day of natural fibers in the unis.

But even today these colors fade and look bad at times - see the lavender scoreboard from a few years back.

Looks good once a year on this day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: once a year is enough - and purple and orange are tough colors to keep up

Nov 15, 2018, 9:08 PM

They faded because of textile/fabric quality in the late 1800’s.

The lavender scoreboard is a recent history blunder just because people were idiots, which we correctly chastised them for. They don’t get any excuse.

10 years?

Nov 15, 2018, 9:09 PM

Clemson has been Orange, Purple and White since the blue got bleached about a century ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2018, 10:54 PM

Good grief man it's been way over 10 years since we ever used any Navy blue.

YES and NO....

Nov 15, 2018, 11:02 PM

YES

NO, NO, NO just NO

POOT, OK

Nov 15, 2018, 11:14 PM

I love the way we use purple. The color is deep and rich and not remotely wimpy. With the proper exception of Military Appreciation Day, it is used sparingly. It's also a great alternative for redheads who don't look so good in orange. Finally, it makes the orange stand out when they are paired together.
I care about and am always proud of how great our uniforms look on television. We look professional and it reflects an elite program. It's a marketing win that keeps our brand in the fore as it has immediate recognition by football fans across the country. Marketers know good advertising works and we have every interest in keeping ours exceptional.
Go Clemson Orange and Regalia Purple!

I thought that

Nov 17, 2018, 7:45 AM

Northwest purple was one of the school colors. I like it. Very Royal. Just like Clemson

Purple is the color of royalty

Nov 16, 2018, 8:08 AM

Clemson is becoming college football royalty.

Seems to fit.

Nov 16, 2018, 8:29 AM

I like my purple pimp suit (doctoral gown). Don't get me wrong, purple is my favorite color. When my daughter was born, the message was no pink, only purple (and orange).

I don't really like the purple unis. But if they meant something, then I am ok with it. Personally, I think the UNIs should reflect "status" and be a message to the community. That being said, I am a sucker for hidden symbolism.

What I would prefer:
Base: orange or white w/ white pants. normal everyday unis
Orange Pants = ACC Champs: Orange w/orange pants (worn after the ACC champ and through the next season).
Solid Purple: Honoring someone in the Clemson family. (Consider it the flag at half mast). I would not mind white helmits or similar for the same reason.

I love the purple.

Nov 16, 2018, 11:42 AM

It's great that we now have the all purple tradition on Military Appreciation Day. A great way to honor our military, and also feature one of our official school colors.

Honestly, I would like to see us feature purple more prominently, but I'm not sure how to do that since the purple jerseys and orange pants (or orange jerseys and purple pants) are an awful combo IMO.

I know that whenever I reach for Clemson gear to wear, I much prefer something purple as it just looks better than orange for general everyday wear. Obviously wearing orange to games is fine though.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 17, 2018, 7:36 AM

TigerNet and the mods seem to like it

All Orange All the time

Nov 17, 2018, 8:37 AM

Nm

Replies: 68
| visibility 201
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic