Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BKB Update: Discounted Tickets available for Clemson Basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,275

BKB Update: Discounted Tickets available for Clemson Basketball

Feb 11, 2015, 1:03 PM

Discounted Tickets available for Clemson Basketball

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yikes, I hate to see this.

Feb 11, 2015, 2:44 PM

Selling men's hoops tix at a deep discount on Living Social? That's something you'd expect at UNC Asheville or Wofford. We really need to get together and figure out how to get people excited about Clemson Basketball.

Getting people excited begins first with ...

Feb 11, 2015, 2:49 PM

... getting them into the stands for the games.

If it takes $10 tickets to accomplish this, then we just have to swallow our pride and do it.

Then the team has to perform well when the stands are full.

The tremendous and highly enthusiastic turnouts for the NIT games last year proved that fans will come to watch the Tigers play basketball under the right circumstances.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, think you're right

Feb 11, 2015, 3:11 PM

1) Suck it up and go this route on the tickets.
2) Remind the boys that playing well when people do show up increases their chances for a return visit.

Fair enough. Thanks.

Or...

Feb 11, 2015, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Getting people excited begins first with ... ]

Selling deeply discounted tickets to even conference games becomes an open invitation to your season ticket holders - each of whom paid full face value for the tickets - to quit purchasing season tickets.

Free tickets for purchasing items in Bi-Lo, $5 tickets offered to no less than 5 non-conference games, and now Living Social deals... A great way to alienate the only portion of your fanbase that has financially stepped to the plate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always wonder to myself when I read comments

Feb 11, 2015, 3:36 PM

like yours if Clemson athletics is an investment or something truly loved because unless you are breaking the bank to get those season tickets, why would you care who and how people are filling the place up? You would think the focus would be on the game. And look at the bright side! When it's time to throw the Duke and UNC games on Tiger Tickets, more money! Free market!

I wish after watching crowds at Tiger games for 50+ years

Feb 11, 2015, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Or... ]

that I saw any reason to actually believe that donors buying season tickets is the real "key" to building a winning program at Clemson.

As a donor, I'd be happier if I went to games where LJ was packed and I could care less if half the fans there got cheap tickets as long as their presence helps the team win.

Purchasing a ticket isn't a charitable act.

Feb 11, 2015, 6:04 PM

It isn't treated as such for tax purposes. Nor is the purchase, or utilization thereof, of any benefit to the consumer with regards to IPTAY priority.

A season ticket IS a guaranteed revenue stream for the athletic department, and one that should be protected - not denigrated.

This isn't football, where the social aspects of gameday (families that have tailgated in the same spot for generations, people who have sat in the same sections for decades, etc.) factor into the reasoning for paying full-freight for the season.

It isn't baseball, where season tickets are deeply discounted from the face price, given the large number of games.

Furthermore, if you are a season ticket holder that doesn't have seats in the lower bowl, there's no penalty for discontinuing your season ticket purchase - just about any seat in the upper bowl is equally as bad, and can be had immediately upon your choice to repurchase season tickets, again.

And it's not like demand is such that you will be locked out of games - in fact, if you are concerned with not seeing certain games, you can buy smaller pre-season packages.

When the face price of a ticket is $18 (the lowest price of the discounted games, some are $25) and you are selling it for $5, or giving them away for free, for 6 or more games a year... It's a problem, and one that is growing.

I'm sorry ... but THE problem is empty seats

Feb 11, 2015, 8:29 PM

I just generally disagree with your argument.

Whatever ticket sales/distribution model Clemson has used for the past few decades, it obviously does not work. Clemson AD needs to think outside the box and try some radically different approaches to lighting a fire under the hoops program.

Seriously ... if people who do not routinely come to games ... for whatever reason ... DO turn out for games where the tickets are discounted, it's a good thing. They're filling otherwise empty seats at $10 a pop and they're creating a better game time environment.

A coliseum full of raucous fans on a more regular basis will do more for the program than the loss of revenue from a small number of fans who would ditch their season tickets to take advantage of $10 special prices.

Re: I'm sorry ... but THE problem is empty seats

Feb 12, 2015, 1:43 PM

Here's a thought: make season tickets cheaper. Or give season ticket holders rights to purchase discounted tickets first when they go out. I'm sure many folks would buy cheaper season tickets.

You realize the answer is consistent winning, right?

Feb 12, 2015, 6:23 PM [ in reply to I'm sorry ... but THE problem is empty seats ]

A mediocre to bad product is the problem. Sellouts weren't infrequent with Barnes' and Purnell's squads, they became more infrequent when the product on the floor became significantly less meaningful.

The emphasis on promotion is a by-product of a basketball team that is average, but just inconsistent enough to kill momentum - soul crushing losses to Winthrop and Gardner Webb, followed by wins over a ranked Arkansas team and top-50 LSU, a complete blowout loss to your in-state rival (the first game that most Clemson fans start paying attention to the season) and a tank job against a bad Rutgers team. Even in conference - beat Pitt on the road, drop a game to a bad Florida State team; win four games for the first time since '97 (though 3 of the wins were against the dregs of the conference), followed by back-to-back losses - including a games against a Miami team playing the worst basketball of its season (though we always play like garbage down there), and a game against a Notre Dame coming off an absolute drubbing (but a top-10 team).

A team that simply doesn't crap the bed in the preseason portion of the schedule has a chance to win over casual Clemson fans. A team that doesn't... well, it plays in front of season ticket holders, moms, girlfriends, and the students that can be lured to the game by the promise of free hot dogs and coke - as long as there isn't an exam in the next 14 days.

With regards to the thought exercise of the promotion itself, the sample of individuals willing to drive to Clemson on a weeknight (essentially half of your schedule) for any repeat event is incredibly small. Once you get outside of a 30 minute driving range, your chances of getting someone out of their house for a televised event drops below the price sensitivity for the tickets - for any type of professional north of Greenville, a 7:00PM game becomes something you have to plan your day around in order to arrive prior to tip-off (rush hour traffic is exactly that bad), while a 9:00PM game becomes a commitment to being a zombie at work the next day.

As such, your maximum range is north to approximately the southern half of the city of Greenville, South to the backside of the city of Anderson, and West to the Georgia line. Not exactly a densely populated area. More over, that area is the home to the vast majority of your existing season ticket holders.

The problem is geographics/demographics, and short of moving the program to Greenville on a permanent basis - and essentially killing all student support in the process (you know, the only portion of the fanbase you MIGHT convert to season ticket holders) - there isn't a solution that can be fixed with promotion.

In the near term, if you continually run specials, you establish the value of the ticket is the value of the promotion. With all of the promotions this year, the value of the season ticket is approximately 2/3rds of the list price - approximately $100 difference per ticket book. $100 is significant buying power, specifically for the lower end of the donor pool.

And therein lies my problem with all of it - you are alienating the only portion of your fanbase that isn't easily replaced.

There are no easy answers ...

Feb 13, 2015, 4:20 PM

... that's a fact.

Winning is definitely the cure, but which is it?

Win and they will show up ... or ... Show up and they will win.

Re: Or...

Feb 11, 2015, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Or... ]

Or just don't get butthurt about it and take pride in being a full-season supporter.

Re: Or...

Feb 11, 2015, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Or... ]

I disagree, cause if the place was packed out then they wouldn't have to run deals to sell tickets. They are doing whatever it takes to get more tails in seats. If they don't do this, then that's just that many more empty seats there during a game. They are gonna be waisted seats anyway, so even if they had to give them away at least people will be there pulling for the Tigers. If somebody is a season ticket holder then obviously they are a big supporter of the team and if that is the case they should want more people there for support. The team shouldn't suffer cause a few people think it isn't fair.

Has the Full Set of Plans approved this?***

Feb 11, 2015, 3:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,275
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic