Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Punt returns
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 899

Punt returns

Dec 11, 2015, 8:47 AM

Just a question. Our team is so good. If we have any weaknesses it is receiving punts. Muff punts. Zero yard returns. Letting the punt bounce 20 yards... We seem to start within our own twenty every time. I remember not too long ago when I thought it was 50-50 ford or spiller could return it every time. What has changed? Our blocking scheme? Elite returner speed? Serious thoughts here?

on a slightly weird note it hasn't seemed to hurt us because our offense has not met a challenge yet on 90+ yard drives. And I am sure our defense gets the benefit of more rest, but it is odd.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Re: Punt returns

Dec 11, 2015, 9:13 AM

I've wondered much the same thing.

I'm not sure what the coaches' ideas are, but I think with our offense the fair catch may be the safest thing.

Think about how many punt returns end up with a block-in-the-back penalty.

Or a fumble either muffing the punt because the receiver took his eyes off the ball in anticipation of running with it or due to the high-speed impact that is more commonly associated with a kick/punt return.

The old saying was "There are three things that can happen on a forward pass – and two of them are bad."

So I'm wondering if just telling the punt receiver to fair catch and MAKE SURE YOU CATCH IT might be enough. Turn the ball over to DW4 and the offense, and pick up 10-20 more yards of offensive stats.

Message was edited by: mpercy®

Message was edited by: mpercy®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2015, 9:19 AM

No longer play the best players on ? Teams
reason for the ?
why is it called special teams,,what's so special about them

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2015, 9:31 AM

Today's punters make a difference as well. It's VERY rare you see our returners have an option besides fair catch. These boys hang it up there now. For ex. Look what TJ Green done to Switzer

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2015, 9:35 AM

If you look at CFB as a whole (and even NFL) There are rarely any returns on punt, much less long returns. I would venture to say that 90% of returns are fair caught (don't hold me to that number). I think the coaching and ingenuity of the spread out punt formation has pretty much done away with it as well as the accuracy of the punter. However, maybe we can come up with something new to give our guys some room to return one. I wouldn't put it on a player or a coach so much as the way the evolution of punting has happened in the past 5-10 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

We haven't solved this all year, I doubt it is going to be

Dec 11, 2015, 9:39 AM

solved before NYE. I really think losing to the Gamecocks due to muffed punts made everyone gun shy. Sure, Adam had that huge return against Louisville last year, but I can't recall much other than that. It is far, far worse muff one than to let it roll and end up inside the 5.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2015, 9:45 AM

And all this time I thought we deliberately were letting the ball bounce those extra 20 yards so our O could rack up more yards each drive. How are you going to have 90-yard drives if you always start on the 40? It's just not as glamorous IMO. :)

Dec 11, 2015, 10:04 AM

My guess would be playing the odds. Who is a better player, the guy returning the punt or your offense? Punt returns are fun to watch when someone returns one, but how often does that happen? How often does someone fumble after what looks like a nice return? Odds are better to get the ball to your offense and let them do what they have prepared for.

Replies: 7
| visibility 899
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic