Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Punishment for kids (spanking, time out, etc)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 671

Punishment for kids (spanking, time out, etc)

Feb 19, 2020, 11:11 AM

Just curious your general thoughts. What ages do you spank vs other punishment? Or is it kid dependent? Should you try "time out" first before reverting to spanking?

My buddy's 4 year old got spanked the other day because he hit his 2 year old brother. Is it confusing that you hit your kid because he hit someone? I don't know the answers, but it did make me think about it as I'm watching this unfold.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd use a tactic I learned on the lunge.

Feb 19, 2020, 11:13 AM

I would just have him clear toilet clogs manually with his hand. Should end the bad behavior quickly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#### right.

Feb 19, 2020, 10:30 PM

Mmmhmmm.

I beat the everloving shid out of my kids

Feb 19, 2020, 11:20 AM

and it does nothing. They are still bad.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really see a discipline opportunity for you here.....

Feb 19, 2020, 11:23 AM

Not all of us have had a drive-by.

If I'm you, I'm like "Mary Katherine, you need to stop playing with your food and eat it. Do you want the bad men to come back?"

I think this could be a really happy and healthy way to change behaviors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I immediately saw the flaw in your discipline methodology.

Feb 19, 2020, 11:43 AM [ in reply to I beat the everloving shid out of my kids ]

You need to let strangers beat the everloving shid out of your kids.

I'm going to deem this issue as 'resolved' and close the support ticket. Please rate my service in the pop-up below...

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beat them often, and relentlessly.

Feb 19, 2020, 11:21 AM

to the point when you just walk by they wince in anticipation of the beating they might get.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My son would probably burn my house down and go

Feb 19, 2020, 11:37 AM

live with his papa. He doesn't play games when he gets pissed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I KNOW you won't end up as one of those dads

Feb 19, 2020, 11:43 AM

that's all "yes, son" when at 12, your boy is going "SHUTUP, DAD"

No, my personality simply wouldn't allow it.***

Feb 19, 2020, 11:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beat them often, and relentlessly.

Feb 19, 2020, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Beat them often, and relentlessly. ]

Thankfully I only had to whack my son once and that was just to get his attention. Now, at 6'4", 275 he too big for me to body slam. Lol, he still thinks I can whip his ###.

No need to spank kids until they clearly understand rules

Feb 19, 2020, 11:53 AM

which is around 6 or 7. I see parents hitting 2 year olds and I cringe. If you can't make a toddler feel bad without hitting then you probably shouldn't have kids.

Re: No need to spank kids until they clearly understand rules

Feb 19, 2020, 12:00 PM

Make them listen to darius. Some places that might be considered cruel and unusual.

THAT, GOOD SIR, IS BEYOND THE BOUNDARY OF HUMANE.***

Feb 19, 2020, 12:03 PM

Gotta agree with you on that.

Feb 19, 2020, 12:02 PM [ in reply to No need to spank kids until they clearly understand rules ]

Until they get to an age where they're able to understand physical punishment, you should lock them in a small dark confined space and use loud repetitive recorded messages interspersed with strange and frightening musical interludes, and have lots of flashing lights in varying colors and intensity.

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!

Feb 19, 2020, 12:04 PM

I always knew Mike Leach was a lunger, but until now didn't know which one of us he was.

I suppose it was quite futile to attempt to adumbrate my

Feb 19, 2020, 12:08 PM

offensive genius.

Hang on....I have a witty comeback.

Feb 19, 2020, 12:08 PM

Just have to look up "adumbrate".

The best remedy for a mischievous youngster is a

Feb 19, 2020, 12:40 PM

consistent and solid lashing with the business-end of a set of Forney jumper cables. This is a proven fact.

Aren't both ends the business end?***

Feb 19, 2020, 12:57 PM

Re: Aren't both ends the business end?***

Feb 19, 2020, 5:00 PM

Ineligible user not if you fold it in half.

I'm even more confused now.

Feb 19, 2020, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion.

Tabasco on the tongue

Feb 19, 2020, 1:45 PM

Works every time

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

If this is a srs question,

Feb 19, 2020, 3:46 PM

no, we don't ever spank our kid (6 yrs). Punishment is part of the deal between parents and kids, and we use various forms of it pretty routinely.

IMO, it's kind of a weird practice that prioritizes obedience over adaptive thinking. It also doesn't resemble real-world consequences (in my own life experience, anyway.)

But yes, to your question---punishing young child (4 yrs) for hitting someone by swatting or spanking them would be pretty confusing for the child, I'd think. I'd bet the odds are pretty high that this kid winds up punching other kids in pre-K, K, and 1st, until a different adult shows them a better way to solve problems.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Each child is different but generally...

Feb 20, 2020, 7:30 AM

with a little girl a switch across the back of the legs with a lick so light that it only leave a slight red mark is equal to a Rodney King beatdown.

Generally, with a boy physical chastisement doesn't work after they are about 10 yr/o because you just pizs them off unless you break bones.

BTW, if you haven't taught a child what 'NO,' means by the time they are walking what you do after that probably isn't going to work. If you need an article on the internet to try to decide any of these methods or limits then you should probably put the kid up for adoption and get something snipped or tied.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 671
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic