Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pros and Cons of Bridge program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,851

Pros and Cons of Bridge program

Feb 13, 2016, 1:46 PM

Parents wanting to know if the Clemson Bridge program is worth it. If you've ever been a part of the bridge program would you do it again or recommend it? Opinions wanted.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No! If you do bridge make sure when you bridge over you get the best advice you can

Feb 13, 2016, 2:11 PM

about your major. Kids that are accepted as freshman who do not bridge get first choices into limited majors. We had to battle all the way up to the Presidents office over several issues.

Just make sure you talk to the Dept heard of the area you want to bridge into and get it in writing.

I have heard that the bridge program has improved but my kid would not do it again. My kids words not mine.

Good luck!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better than not being able to attend Clemson at all....

Feb 14, 2016, 1:50 AM

Were the end results not worth resolving the issues in the beginning?

Sheesh

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kids who got accepted as freshmen to CU should get first...

Feb 14, 2016, 12:53 PM [ in reply to No! If you do bridge make sure when you bridge over you get the best advice you can ]

choice.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've only heard a parent complain but

Feb 13, 2016, 2:15 PM

Don't know much about it myself. They'd always say they pay Clemson prices for TCTC classes. This could be an exaggeration though.

Re: I've only heard a parent complain but

Feb 13, 2016, 10:10 PM

I graduated from clemson two years ago and I bridged. I enjoyed it. It was a good transition year for me. Classes were small and extremely easy compared to clemson which helped since I wasn't the most focused and really enjoyed socializing that first year. As far as cost it's no where near the same I had life scholarship and my tuition was free my parents only had to pay housing

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pros and Cons of Bridge program

Feb 13, 2016, 2:24 PM

We chose to go the community college route (Florida) for 3 semesters and then transferred. We were not certain about the program and integration into campus life. Same basic academics for 1/3 the price as out of state student. Good choice for our son.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

are you still required to live in Tom Winkopp apartments?***

Feb 13, 2016, 2:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: are you still required to live in Tom Winkopp apartments?***

Feb 13, 2016, 4:32 PM

Yes, bridge students will still live at Highpointe until the Douthit Hills project is complete.

Feb 13, 2016, 2:43 PM

Bridge is a waste of money. Just go to TCTC for a year, take your gen eds and then transfer. As long as you have a good year, you'll get accepted no doubt. I know a ton of people that have done it. Bridge is a rip off and your kid will hate it.

Both my kids were at Clemson at same time

Feb 13, 2016, 4:01 PM

My son was in the Army after high school and transferred to Clemson after his freshman year at Trident Tech. My daughter went to Clemson direct from high school. They were sophomores at Clemson at the same time (1999).
"Integration into campus life" was very different. My daughter lived on campus all 4 years. My son was in Thornhill Village for 1 year and then off campus for 1 1/2 years, graduating 1 semester early. My daughter was much more connected with campus and was in a sorority and was a Rally Cat. She still maintains friendships from Clemson while my son does not. That may be partly because he was 3 years older than his classmates and he was only there 2 1/2 years.
My son would not have been accepted as a freshman at Clemson. Transferring in was the way to go for him, but getting his sophomore classes was tough as classes had already been loaded with Clemson students who had taken slots at the end of their freshman year. He had to talk to 3 or 4 professors to get in their classes.
I'm not familiar with the bridge program but transfers into 4 year schools is pretty easy in SC if you go to one of the Tech schools in state and make good grades. My son was in accounting but it may be different for some majors.

Feb 13, 2016, 4:20 PM

It was great for my son. Small classes and caring teachers helped him get up to speed on college level work. He made a point to study at the CU Library, workout at Fike and meet up with friends on campus at CU. I do think that the students in Bridge must make an effort to become part of Clemson. If they never venture out from their very nice apartment complex they won't really feel like a true Clemson student. I recommend it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2016, 4:24 PM

My daughter did it and loved it. She graduated with a marketing degree and was in a sorority. No regrets.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2016, 4:31 PM

As an adjunct professor at Midlands Tech. I have several relevant comments. USuck and MTC have a Bridge program like the one for Clemson and Tri-County Tech. Students I have spoken to enjoy living on campus while taking their initial coursework at MTC so I believe each student needs to assess what their academic needs are out of High School and make a choice. I too can suggest going to a technical college for their first year to achieve better grades before transfer, but do not think tech school classes are any easier! We have to meet state/regional standards.

Hope this helps.

Go Tigers!

I was in the bridge program

Feb 13, 2016, 10:16 PM

Had almost every advantage a Clemson student had. Graduated in 2011 second in my major (business management) after 3 years actually in Clemson. Had no acdemic issues at all and now make over 90k a year with my degree.

Feb 14, 2016, 2:07 AM

It's great! I bridged to Clemson from Tri County, just gotta stay focused.

Feb 14, 2016, 8:21 AM

My niece was in the program and it was the best thing that could have happened to her. She was upset at first but ended up loving it. Gave her a great foundation and she was on Dean's list every semester afterwards. It is a great program and I would recommend it highly!

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,851
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic