Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'll keep reposting this every so often
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 381

I'll keep reposting this every so often

Jul 2, 2020, 10:34 AM

Rather than stand on my own soapbox, I'll pass this over to Jennifer Lawrence, who pretty much nails it. This video's been floating around for more than a year now without nearly enough fanfare and it's got some pretty obvious (and completely non-partisan!) fixes for pretty much all that ails us...if you give it a listen. (Which we won't, we'd rather go back to arguing binary politics like it's somehow working for any of us right now.)

Plus J-Law is just hawt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfQij4aQq1k

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eff Jennifer Lawrence.

Jul 2, 2020, 10:35 AM

Sirriusly I would eff Jennifer Lawrence.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Problem accurate. Cause and solution - Way off.

Jul 2, 2020, 11:23 AM

We ALL agree on the problems. It's obvious enough. She addressed them well. No need to elaborate on them.

First the cause. Our federal government is doing things it was never intended to do. It has powers and control it was never intended to have. THAT has caused the problems they outline, which we all agree on. And that goes back to us being a republic, as founded. A democratic republic. The republic part of that is ESSENTIAL to keep the problems they're talking about from happening. Our founders saw the problems. And the two biggest contributors to the problems are the 14th and 16th amendments. Both are republic destroyers by their very nature. One by making laws universally applied (abortion for example), and that's guaranteed to tick off far more people than if laws were split among 50 states. The amendment was passed to prevent slavery from continuing. And today it forces all 50 states to allow same sex marriage, abortion, and other things best left to the states to maximize the contentment of the people overall. Second is the income tax. States used to retain the VAST majority of taxes among the citizens, to be spent locally, enforcing local laws, and more people were happy with that. Furthermore, Congress was NEVER intended to be able to enforce nationwide laws by threatening to withhold spending. We have a 21yo drinking age, and a 21yo nicotine age because Congress bribed the states into compliance, with our own tax dollars, irrespective of local or state choice. The covid bill was using our tax dollars ostensibly for support due to the pandemic, to enact an onerous mandate on the 50 states to change their laws on tobacco sales. For drinking age, it was a highway appropriations bill in the 1980's. I promise you our founding fathers did not support actions like this. There's a reason for half our existence as a nation we didn't have a federal income tax. And we're living the reason right now.

Anyway, their solution is untenable as well, as the cause of the problem has not been correctly identified. You have to know the cause to know a solution. All of their solutions demand action by those who will NOT enact them. That would be Congress. Power flows one way in the US. And that's because the tax dollars flow one way. Add to that debt spending, and you have our problems. Congress is not going to do anything to change the system they have created for themselves. The political machines, the CAREER they have in Congress. Nope. They can list all the feel-good ideas they want, and Congress will NEVER act on them. You can take that 30% and make it 0% for enacting their reforms. Won't happen. As such, the answer can only come from outside of Congress. As much power as has been ceded by the states, they still retain very specific powers in the Constitution. In fact, their ace card, and most powerful mechanism they have, has NEVER been used.

The solution to the problem is simple, and it can work. Two things, the two most powerful solutions to ending the problems are two Constitutional amendments. JUST two. And they're very simple. First, term limits for Congress. Second is a balanced budget amendment. Those two things solve most of the problems they outline. Now, how do you get Congress to pass two Amendments that amount to a massive assault on Congress' power, authority, and control? Article V. Read it. It exists exactly to remedy the problems we have. And if you can keep the power hungry politicians at the state level on message, and limit any convention to these two issues ONLY, they WILL pass. Both issues have over 70% overall public approval and 35 states could easily vote to make them happen. But so few people understand the problem, nor the solution.

They are posing solutions tailored for a system we have, which as they admit is broken. You won't unbreak it or fix anything working within our current constraints. For each of their examples of state laws leading to federal laws, they're leaning on the 14th Amendment and courts, not the legislature. States started passing same sex marriage laws. That's fine. Then when enough did, a movement started, that ended up in the Supreme Court, where it was granted "right status", at which point it must be universally applied. You end up then forcing a solution on the whole nation, WHICH IS ACTUALLY OUR PROBLEM. We are far too large a nation, and far too diverse as a nation, to survive with a federal government with universal power to apply laws. The republic part of democratic republic is what separates us from every other large and diverse democracy that's failed. And 100% of large and diverse democracies......fail. They only work in small areas where people are homogenous in religion, culture, etc. We are no exception to that rule.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Problem accurate. Cause and solution - Way off.

Jul 2, 2020, 12:47 PM

Tiggity for prez.... great post.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wood dew her

Jul 2, 2020, 11:33 AM

but she is part of the problem. Started off strong, the problem is dems and republicans who are corrupt. Then blamed it on people not fighting for bills and gerrymandering and voting laws?? Not even close.

"Dems and Republicans are corrupt, so let's shout louder at them and allow for more voter fraud." How about we form a third party, so when one party goes so far off the rails, the third party can work with the other party to keep them in check?

That was a very well-crafted agenda piece.

Jul 2, 2020, 11:44 AM

Start with defining the problem. That's easy. We all agree with the problems. That boosts your rhetorical credibility to a level where people will pay more attention to your flawed solution than you would otherwise have. Kark Marx used the same mechanism in Das Kapital. Starts off reasonable. Common sense and very intelligent stuff, then the wheels fly off with his agenda and solution. Had he skipped over the problem identification and common sense stuff and launched right into his agenda and solution, there would be no communism.

Revolutionaries look to solutions from the bottom up to power. Coups start at the top. Revolutions start from the bottom. I'm not buying her rhetoric.

Wood still dew.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was a good video. I don't know enough about all

Jul 2, 2020, 11:38 AM

of their suggestions but certainly ending gerrymandering is a worthwhile goal...the question is how do you make an independent panel? And ranked choice voting is also a very interesting concept. I am confident this is used in other countries? I wonder what the results look like.

Voting from home strikes me as an unrelated component of their goals - should be removed from their platform, in my opinion.

"Overhaul Lobbying Laws" always sounds great...the devil is in the details.

"Mandate full transparency of political spending" Yes, I think this is good. Transparency is always good. Of course, when you have leftists calling for a boycott of Domino's for thanking a person for a compliment 8 years before she becomes Trump's Press Secretary, that obviously gives me concerns.

Anyway, good video, I thought.

null

If everyone gets the boot in 2 terms, it doesn't matter

Jul 2, 2020, 11:53 AM

I am in her 46%, and I can't get my representative out of Congress. As long as Congress showers districts with tax dollars, and debt when tax dollars are not enough, as long as they do that, they get (buy) obedience from the voters. We are ostensibly a democracy run by an oligarchical legislature. Same thing happened in Rome a long time ago. Lessons not learned.

You have no clue how depressing it is to see our state legislature in Columbia, South Carolina vote all of a sudden to raise the age to buy tobacco to 21yo across all of South Carolina, just so the state can receive covid relief. That MECHANISM is depressing, no matter your take on the issue. It's wrong. Bad. Not American. It has the same impact on us as a nation that rich parents have on their grown, adult children when they keep them on the family money dole. You end up with worthless, dependent grown children, and not productive and ambitious adult men.

I like this one better, drinking story(ies)

Jul 2, 2020, 12:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y7rk7eHHAM

Describes bar fight around 3:20, the "Chris" she mentions is my cousin (who has verified her account of this event)....

Never really thought she was THAT hawt (still don't, really) but she'd be fun to party with...

mah cuz Chris said all it would take would be an invite (from him, not the rest of us, obvi) for her to tag along on one of our ski trips (Breck, brah...even though we were in Park City when he said that)....unfortunately, that was the last trip (End of Jan '17, coinciding w/ Sundance, before budapest) he's come on (was still in budapest following year), and I doubt she'd be interested in hanging out with 3GUARs sportin' semi's and wanting to skip the slopes for the hottub.

i think...

great story

Jul 2, 2020, 2:13 PM

aero

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Replies: 9
| visibility 381
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic