Topic: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Donut Dollies
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 3, 2020, 9:37 AM by: Felix2®
[ Tiger Boards - Amphitheatre ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 6  

50 years ago -Vietnam - Donut Dollies

emoji_events [27]
Posted: Dec 2, 2020, 8:34 PM

I had been thinking about making this post and can't put it off any longer since TigerLinks mentioned them yesterday. As he stated, they were Red Cross workers who visited troops all over the war zone - they took immense risks flying in the military choppers over enemy occupied territory to uplift the morale of our troops. My first encounter with one came at the Hill 4-11 base about 4 months after I got in Nam. The mess hall on the base had an actual water cooler and I decided to go inside for a rare cold drink as I was walking past - when I walked through the door, there were several GI's sitting around playing some kind of game and at the front of the room was a beautiful blonde leading the game. I had never gone such a long time without seeing such a creature. I froze in my tracks and realized what my true motivation for survival was - I don't even remember if I took a sip of water but I do recall that I just left the room without a word instead of joining the games as invited. It was such a shock to see her that I had to remove myself from the situation to gather my thoughts. My second encounter with a Donut Dolly was an even greater surprise as I was on the opposite side of the Hill where there was really nothing but bunkers. I had just finished using one of the makeshift outdoor "urinals" that were just empty rocket tubes discarded from choppers and stuck into the ground and I turned around to see another fair-skinned angel standing on the path that wound around the top of the hill - I don't know how she was able to show up so quickly because I could see a considerable distance in both directions but I was just a little embarrassed.

military_donation.jpg link

Priceless, well spoken line . . .

emoji_events [10]
Posted: Dec 2, 2020, 9:08 PM

“ I froze in my tracks and realized what my true motivation for survival was.”

Glad you made it Clover!!!!!!!

2021 white level member link

Another great story clover65!

[3]
Posted: Dec 2, 2020, 9:28 PM

TU for “gather my thoughts”. ??

2021 white level member link

Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Donut Dollies

[2]
Posted: Dec 2, 2020, 9:44 PM

Thanks for sharing clover! I had never heard of a donut dolly. Learned something!

2021 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg link

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

emoji_events [6]
Posted: Dec 3, 2020, 12:40 AM

Here you go Clover ....... I'm the one in the middle!

military_donation.jpg link

[1]
Posted: Dec 3, 2020, 8:38 AM

“I’m the one in the middle”. LOLOL. That cracked me up !

2021 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg link

[1]
Posted: Dec 3, 2020, 9:37 AM

Great story! Thank you for your service clover65.

2021 orange level member link

Replies: 6  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: 4 lower level season tickets in the North stands, section UL, row V, $900 each.

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Tiger Boards - Amphitheatre ]
Start New Topic
1556 people have read this post