Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Top 5 brands that used to rock but now suck
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 85
| visibility 1

Top 5 brands that used to rock but now suck

Jun 25, 2020, 9:48 AM

1) Wendy’s
2) Mongoose
3) Gateway
4) Sting
5) Eddie Bauer

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Top 5 brands that used to rock but now suck

Jun 25, 2020, 9:51 AM

1) Chick Fil A starting with Popeye's introduction of a real chicken sandwich

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You shut your ##### mouth.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:11 AM

CFA is better than any other fast food swill.

You're deluded. You're still letting the friendly service

Jun 25, 2020, 10:15 AM

distort your view of the actual contents of the chicken sandwich.

You can't even do a blind taste test because one sandwich looks bland and boring (CFA) and one sandwich looks like something you could get at an upscale comfort food restaurant. It's not even a fair comparison.

You'll come around :)

Popeye's is good....

Jun 25, 2020, 10:16 AM

But all they got is the sandwich.

CFA has good salads, much better breakfast and milkshakes. Plus the mac and cheese is good.

Does Popeyes even have nugs?***

Jun 25, 2020, 10:17 AM [ in reply to You're deluded. You're still letting the friendly service ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would I want some puny nugs

Jun 25, 2020, 10:19 AM

when I can get real chicken strips or a gorgeous sandwich?

Plus, don't get me started on those cardboard waffle fries when compared to the Popeye's fries.

Because there is no better on the go meal than chicken nugs

Jun 25, 2020, 10:23 AM

They fit nicely in a box, lower chance of having a tendon, and lower finger to chicken contact time. Which is CRUCIAL in COVID America.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you don't breakfast baconator?

Jun 25, 2020, 9:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Best breakfast sandwich on the market

Jun 25, 2020, 9:52 AM

by quite a large margin.

Again, Chick-Fil's dry biscuits and overly-dense chicken can't compete.

Here’s what I do know.

Jun 25, 2020, 9:55 AM [ in reply to you don't breakfast baconator? ]

If Dave Thomas were brought back from the dead, he would walk into any current store, take a bite of a burger, and promptly take a flamethrower to the place. Their burgers were 200% better when he was alive and they had the tables with newspaper clippings printed on them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

those tables were sweet***

Jun 25, 2020, 9:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's what they did in atlanta***

Jun 25, 2020, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Here’s what I do know. ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had one of those on the drive home from NC on Sunday.

Jun 25, 2020, 11:17 AM [ in reply to you don't breakfast baconator? ]

It was good. About 30 minutes outside of Columbia, it hit with the fury of 1,000 suns. That was as close as I've been to full-on shitting myself in years. A mostly clean, unoccupied BP bathroom stall saved me. The duck waddle into the establishment didn't go unnoticed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Starter tops the list here, this is not debatable***

Jun 25, 2020, 9:55 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure Starter sold out to some Chinese sweatshop.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:25 AM

Up until recently, you'd see Starter branded stuff in Walmart, so I assumed that's what happened.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 more

Jun 25, 2020, 9:56 AM

Dell, John Deere, Blackberry

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

TIL Blackberry is still in business, and for some reason

Jun 25, 2020, 10:09 AM

is still using OpenGL for their graphics.

Thats just pitiful.

https://blackberry.qnx.com/en/software-solutions/automotive/qnx-platform-for-instrument-clusters

Jun 25, 2020, 10:02 AM

Fatz
Hooters
Wicked Weed
Lands End
Wrangler

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I went to the Fatz in Camden at some point and

Jun 25, 2020, 10:02 AM

haven't been back. That place was gross.

Clearly after they transitioned to

Jun 25, 2020, 10:07 AM

sucking.

The one that was in the ratty old peachshed across from Up U was excellent. When they screwed up and moved to a nice new building on Hwy 9 it never was the same.
That Hwy 9 location is slated to be Wllie Taco #3 btw.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Yeah it was just in the past couple of years that I went***

When was Wrangler good?

Jun 25, 2020, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Top 5 brands that used to rock but now suck ]

The plastic ### patch always killed them for me.

In the 70’s

When Levi’s were flimsy and Lee was like wearing tent canvas

Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I had some levi's in the 70's

Jun 25, 2020, 10:41 AM

They were a lot thicker than they are now.

Wicked Weed might have sold out, but

Jun 25, 2020, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Top 5 brands that used to rock but now suck ]

I drink the absolute FUCK out of Pernicious, Lieutenant Dank, and FREAK.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you just ###### up

Jun 25, 2020, 10:15 AM

telling JohnFBell®

Doesn’t matter to me anymore for beer.

Jun 25, 2020, 12:46 PM

I’m now gonna be a VP of sales for a wine company.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, it's not what it was

Jun 25, 2020, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Wicked Weed might have sold out, but ]

but there's still not a better family of IPAs on the convenience/grocery store shelves.

Is Gateway still around?

Jun 25, 2020, 10:06 AM

I'd replace that with IBM, or HP.

Had HP modernized the look of the LJ-4, put a built in wireless print server in it, and just included the extra 8 Gb of ram in it rather than charge $500 for it...they could still make and sell them. I've seen some of those at work that are still going, using the "generic" printer driver, and the plastic cases have all turned yellow from age.

sortof

Gateway Inc., previously Gateway 2000, was an American computer hardware company based in South Dakota and later California, that developed, manufactured, supported, and marketed a wide range of personal computers, computer monitors, servers, and computer accessories. It was acquired by Acer in October 2007.

I remember visiting the South Dakota location back in the day. Fun times.

Zaxby's should be at the top of everyone's list

Jun 25, 2020, 10:08 AM

I think they hired Robert Mugabe as their CEO or something.

Wait until you get a Slim Chickens in upstate SC.

They’re everything Zaxbys used to be and more, including employees who GAS.

How are they going to expand in New Jersey and Kuwait before

Georgia or South Carolina, W TF?!? Do they not know who their people are? That's like putting a Rick Erwin's in Westminster.

They are one of those brands that I try and say

Jun 25, 2020, 10:27 AM

“Hmmm, that would kill it in Greenville“, and then someone opens one and indeed kills it. Previous brands are McAllisters Deli, Zoe’s kitchen, and Yard House

I can't believe there isn't a Papadeaux's yet

Jun 25, 2020, 10:46 AM

I'd put it right where the old Fatz Cafe was on Woodruff Rd. and collect my monies.

You know what else is crazy and totally unrelated to this thread? The old Katherine's Kitchen building is still available, even has a new dock.

Even crazier, the fact that Katherine’s ever closed, and

Jun 25, 2020, 12:49 PM

On top of that, there was a Mrs Winners right down the road.

After ruining that, I’m pretty sure Anderson, SC never deserves anything nice again. Electric city, myass.

We've actually got some quality places now

Jun 25, 2020, 1:12 PM

I just don't like to tell anyone because I'd rather they keep their snooty ##### in Greenville.

I'm in Anderson and not snooty...so tell me***

Jun 25, 2020, 1:18 PM

Since Katherine's Kitchen was brought up, Townville

Jun 25, 2020, 1:34 PM

Cafe has good fried chicken buckets on Sunday usually. Barnwood Grill on Whitehall is another great place for 'country/comfort food'. Obviously we've got Arnolds, as well.

Of course there is always The Galley, which I'm not sure if you've heard but they are combining The Galley and Nami into one restaurant now. Which makes total sense considering both restaurants were always packed, but nobody has ever accused anyone of doing anything intelligent at Portman Marina.

Local Pub and Eatery is another great place by the lake, with dock access. I haven't eaten at Raines on Main, but they've got a food truck at Big Water Marina that has good food. Earle Street Kitchen is probably my favorite downtown. I found Sullivans to be meh, but a lot of people like it.

As far as BBQ is concerned, Little Pigs wins in my book. Even over Smokin' Pig. Mi Casa Leon right off of exit 14 is pretty good if you like Mexican food. I don't, but can always find something there.

I know I'm missing more than a few, but those are what stay in our rotation.

Is the mexican joint still open on the square in pendleton?

Jun 25, 2020, 1:47 PM

That place was pretty decent..about like a Senor Tequila or La Hacienda

Still there as far as I know

Jun 25, 2020, 2:09 PM

You know the Islander is gone now, replaced by Blue Heron?

I didnt know that.

Jun 25, 2020, 2:27 PM

I wonder if the Islander cliques moved to the Blue Heron?

Haven't been by to find out yet

Jun 25, 2020, 2:46 PM

I won't be surprised to see them burn down the new strip mall behind Waffle House one day. Pendleton is starting to look like they went to a national home builder and just said "ffuck me up bro".

Tom Wynkoop is all

Jun 25, 2020, 2:48 PM

I don't know what's worse, his apartment buildings, or the

Jun 25, 2020, 2:52 PM

new neighborhood in Pendleton with little playhouse looking houses which will undoubtedly become a ghetto within 10 years.

BTW, you ever look at that house boat?

I did.

Jun 25, 2020, 2:58 PM

If it were just me and Grady, I'd live on it. I'd prob put a new 4 stroke on it, and kick-ass A/C unit, some new flooring, and buy a lot I could anchor it up to. Put a shed on the lot to keep all my stuff to work on the boat.

My working days just ended.

Thanks...didn't know The Galley was combining with Nami...

Jun 26, 2020, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Since Katherine's Kitchen was brought up, Townville ]

I agree that that makes no sense. We like both. It's somewhat on my way home from work so meet the wife and kids there a good bit and also take customers there on occasion.

Local Pub and Eatery and Raines on Main were ones I've haven't heard of so I'll need to check those out.

Agree on Earle Street. Their pork nachos are one of my favs and their Sunday brunch is good too.

Also agree on Little Pigs for the pulled pork...on taste and qty.

Nissan.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:11 AM

Saying that they used to rock might be an overstatement, but to say they now suck is an understatement.

They made excellent cars and trucks years ago.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:19 AM

It's hard to fathom even now that a Japanese car brand has fallen so far behind American and Korean brands.

I thought about them too

Jun 25, 2020, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Nissan. ]

I've got a friend who restored a 240Z and dare I say it's one of the best looking cars on the road. My 88 Pathfinder is still one of the better looking SUV's out there.

And then sometime around the late 2000's, they all got together and designed some of the worst looking cars the market has ever seen. If Robert Mugabe took over Zaxby's, Marvin the depressed robot from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy took over Nissan.

Three little letters, brah.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Nissan. ]

CVT

Well, the frontier is the same truck it was 20 years ago.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Nissan. ]

Literally.

Does the radiator still crack and leak coolant into the

Jun 25, 2020, 10:51 AM

transmission? Countless people have experienced that wonderful quirk and feature of the Nissan Frontier and Xterra. Just ask xtiger.

I have heard of that recently, so it sounds like thats still

Jun 25, 2020, 11:38 AM

a carryover.

I thought this was a weird transition year?

Jun 25, 2020, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Well, the frontier is the same truck it was 20 years ago. ]

Remember reading they were putting an all new, much better powertrain in the old body this year with the new truck coming next year. Sorta backasswards from the normal progression, but for the small group of fans, this’ll be the year to own.

Didn't they have the Pathfinder supercharged V6 in the

Jun 25, 2020, 1:49 PM

Frontier once? That would have been the Frontier to own.

I remember they copied Toyota and put a small V8 in the pathfinder for about 15 minutes, but because it was powerful and people liked it, they immediately quit making it.

Found it. And just like the V8 in the Pathfinder, people

Jun 25, 2020, 1:56 PM

must have liked it, because they only did it for one year.

SC frontier:

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a2119081/2001-nissan-frontier-sc-supermodel-supercharged-truck-does-better-style-substance/

V8 Pathfinder:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/short-lived-v8-powered-nissan-pathfinder-used-tow-rig-bargain-281474979940072

I looked for one about 6 months ago for a tow rig.

Jun 25, 2020, 3:14 PM

They sure weren’t a bargain then. 5 figures for a POS 10 year old used Nissan is really far from a bargain from what I saw.

The Frontier S/C had 210hp. The one year only current one has 310hp. I’m no rocket lawyer, but I’d take the current one.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30779778/2020-nissan-frontier-new-engine/

That shows you how much I keep up with Nissans

Jun 25, 2020, 3:18 PM

Id be hard pressed to buy a 20 year old truck with any engine, at pretty much any price that wasn't free. I dunno who is still buying them, for what they cost anyway.

Holy crap..right under that..."2020 Nissan base price up

Jun 25, 2020, 3:20 PM

$7500 due to new engine".

"Starting price starting price up to $27,885"

Yeah...noooo thanks.

Redtube***

Jun 25, 2020, 10:12 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guess jeans, Tommy Hilfilger, Converse shoes

Jun 25, 2020, 10:14 AM

Spot-Bilt cleats, British Knights, I think Burger King is straight trash.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Converse is owned by Nike now, right?***

Yep.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:22 AM

And their weird non-gender specific sizing has turned them into a chore to find a pair that fits. I've tried them on several times when I see them out and about, and still have yet to buy a pair.

I still like all my stuff from Eddie Bauer,

Do you have an equivalent?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LL Bean, but to be honest they aren’t what they used to

Jun 25, 2020, 10:23 AM

Be either.

They have gone ALLIN on the "Copy Patagonia" styling

Jun 25, 2020, 10:30 AM

and I honestly want to pick up some gear for 1/2 price some time. It all looks pretty nice.

Agreed. Their sizing and quality has gone to crap since

Jun 25, 2020, 1:55 PM [ in reply to LL Bean, but to be honest they aren’t what they used to ]

going Chinese.

I have LL Bean stuff from the 80s (barn jacket, Bean boots) that was still made in America and that stuff is indestructible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed***

Jun 25, 2020, 1:53 PM [ in reply to I still like all my stuff from Eddie Bauer, ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Creed

Jun 25, 2020, 10:25 AM

Two Skinny J's
Green Day
Limp Bizkit
U2

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

ahhhh brands, no bands.

Jun 25, 2020, 10:30 AM

in that case:

Craftsman

That's it. That's all i got.

DeWalt owns Craftsman now, so that may actually help them

Jun 25, 2020, 10:46 AM

I can't figure out what they are going to do with Kobalt though.

You shut your mouth re: Eddie Bauer

Jun 25, 2020, 11:04 AM

I still buy their clothing on nostalgia and discounts. Do you hate Structures and Britches too?

Hardees has to be on the suck list somewhere.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Hardees sliders

Jun 25, 2020, 11:37 AM

and biscuits and other burgers

Jun 25, 2020, 11:07 AM

Bill's Khakis. Used to be awesome. Now, they cost more and are flimsy and poorly made.

Jun 25, 2020, 11:17 AM

1) Spalding Basketballs
2) Bombas Socks
3) Under Armour Tech Tees
4) JCrew Boxers
5) Moe's Mexican

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Adidas

Jun 25, 2020, 11:41 AM

Ever since they let some queermo use their logo in his avatar. Have they no lawyers? No cease and desist letters?

you rotten bassturd!

Jun 25, 2020, 11:45 AM

how dare you!!!!

Pony

Jun 25, 2020, 11:42 AM

Best cleats back in the day.

Pony

Jun 25, 2020, 11:44 AM

Best Genuine song back in the day.

Pony

Jun 25, 2020, 11:52 AM

Best hair tail style

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pony

Jun 25, 2020, 12:02 PM

Best furry to dress up like for a fun ########

Pony

Jun 25, 2020, 12:18 PM

Best thing to go elbow deep into

Your mom's a pony.***

Jun 25, 2020, 2:26 PM

Is no one going to say Tigernet?

Jun 25, 2020, 3:13 PM

Used to be a #### site. You had to log into Tigernet2 to get to Clemson information

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 85
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic