Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have a random question about the flooding
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

I have a random question about the flooding

Oct 4, 2015, 10:31 PM

Where did it come from?? I mean there looks like there is gushing water everywhere...

I know the hurricane, but why is Cola flooding and Charleston not? Did something go wrong with Lake Murray? Is it a river system issue? Why hasnt there been flooding like this in the past?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have a random question about the flooding

Oct 4, 2015, 10:32 PM

Charleston is shut down. It's under water.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2015, 10:34 PM

I have family in Mt P and the reports from them is that downtown is flooded like it always is any time they get rain for more than an hour. I know the flooding is worse than that right now, but outside of downtown its not that bad.

My point is, Charleston always floods because its under sea level... Columbia isnt. what gives?

Message was edited by: elwyn07®

Oct 4, 2015, 10:42 PM

North Charleston and surrounding areas also hit hard. Ask someone who lives on Johns Island how they fared.

Just saying, many parts of the state were hit hard. A lot of rain on already saturated grounds.

Btw ... I live in Charleston. I'm here right now.

Up to 20 inches of rain in 48 hours around Columbia

Oct 4, 2015, 10:35 PM

Creeks way above flood stage, sewers overflowing, and concrete doesn't absorb water

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ok, I get that

Oct 4, 2015, 10:38 PM

Im not trying to be dense here, but theres more than 20 inches of water in the pictures Im seeing.

Oct 4, 2015, 10:41 PM

I.e. The entire state from Cola./Lexington south is impacted in overwhelming fashion. An upper level low pressure system tapping into the hurricane brought record amounts of rain! InHopefully we will not have flooding to this level again for awhile.

Go Tigers! Pray for those in harm's Way.

Pretty simple and very sad

Oct 4, 2015, 10:43 PM

In the Forest Acres Area a watershed (Gills Creek) overflowed due to the ridiculous amount of rain, That dumped water into another creek which overflowed, then to a lake whose ### burst, another creek and so on and so on. The drainage in that area is all interconnected. Once one domino falls, the others fall in sequence. Similar scenario played out from the Fort Jackson area to the Garner's Ferry area. Can't say for sure about Lexington. I've never seen anything like it. Entire neighborhoods completely underwater, bridges completely gone and whole sections of road missing all over the place. I'm a pediatrician, hoping to find out tomorrow if my practice's offices are still standing. Couldn't get anywhere near them today.

Oct 4, 2015, 10:45 PM

Earthen dams failing in upper Forest Acres area caused flooding down stream - a major issue on southeast side of Cooterville.

Roads, dams, not built to handle that much water in a short timeframe.

Also, when you have 25% of your annual rain fall in 48 hours it's a challenge...

In Cola, smaller dams have been topped and breached

Oct 4, 2015, 10:45 PM

Forest Lake, Lake Katherine, Kings Grant and the Gills Creek watershed have been especially hard hit. Lots of friends within a mile or two of our home have had to be rescued by boat or swim out with sudden flash floods today. Lots of Clemson alums live in these neighborhoods.

Oct 4, 2015, 10:47 PM

Believe me charleston is plenty flooded. A few homes in a neighborhood close to mine were washed away according to family there.
I think the problem is everything downstream of Columbia is flooded. So the water there (and in Greenville) has nowhere to go.

Oct 4, 2015, 10:48 PM

Water runs to water.

Oct 4, 2015, 10:50 PM [ in reply to Re: I have a random question about the flooding ]

Go to the Weather Channel and it will explain everything. They are doing continual updates.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic