Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pretty amazing thing about Tajh Boyd
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,166

Pretty amazing thing about Tajh Boyd

Oct 9, 2012, 11:18 AM

On Saturday he passed Charlie Whitehurst to become Clemson's all-time leader in passing touchdowns. He's done this in only a year and a half as a starter, whereas Charlie was our starter for 3 and a half years.

As great as Charlie was under center at Clemson, we're witnessing a pretty good one right now, folks.

Very proud to have this man leading Clemson University. Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Catch me on the Twitter: @ToddMitchum

Re: Pretty amazing thing about Tajh Boyd

Oct 9, 2012, 11:19 AM

yep as the time you mentioned they showed a graphic. about half of the pass attempts also

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2012, 11:21 AM

To be fair, Whitehurst didn't play under Chad Morris.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pretty amazing thing about Tajh Boyd- to be more than

Oct 9, 2012, 11:23 AM

fair I think he played some under Spence. Amazing we scored any td's then. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2012, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Pretty amazing thing about Tajh Boyd ]

Very true. I always thought Charlie caught some bad luck during his time at Clemson. He went through 3 OC's in 4 years. 2003 was the only time he had previous experience in the system he was running (under Brad Scott), and we all saw the numbers he put up that year.

I'm sure Charlie would put up absurd numbers under the Chad as well, but I'm not sure you can get much better than what we're seeing from Tajh.

Oct 9, 2012, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Pretty amazing thing about Tajh Boyd ]

Whitehurst started 41 games. Boyd has started 20. That has to offset it a bit. Whitehurst had 1300+ passing attempts and Boyd has only had 763. Whitehurst had 7.7 y/a. Boyd has 7.1 y/a.

Boyd is on pace to finish 2nd behind Philip Rivers in ACC career yardage if he performs at his current rate. He's on pace to become the career ACC passing TD leader.

This is assuming 7 more games this season and 13 more next season, and no injuries.

Good stuff***

Oct 9, 2012, 7:50 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2012, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Pretty amazing thing about Tajh Boyd ]

Nor did he have receivers that could catch anything close.

Oct 9, 2012, 11:23 AM

If he stays for next season he could have 100 TDs and completely blow the record out of the water. He has 51 now (14 on the season). He will finish with around 30 if he continues this pace and he'll need about 30 next year to get to 100.

Amazing thing about Charlie

Oct 9, 2012, 11:28 AM

Only Qb to have 4 wins against the dirtpeckers!

Charlie

Oct 9, 2012, 11:42 AM

wan't great, just pretty good, and only on certain Sats. Tailed off his last two years. Remembered prob best for 63-17 and 4 streak ag. Carolina.

Re: Charlie

Oct 9, 2012, 11:46 AM

I think he was great. He just suffered from having multiple OC's, and not that great a supporting cast. I think we all liked Duane Coleman at RB, but just look at how we've upgraded since then. James Davis, CJ Spiller, Ellington all are significantly more talented that Coleman.

Charlie's best receiver was D. Hamilton who was very very good, but I don't think he's quite in the category of a Hopkins or a Watkins.

Boyd is great, but he is also benefiting from a fantastic OC and a great supporting cast.

Re: Charlie

Oct 9, 2012, 11:52 AM

RB wasn't great with Coleman, but Merriweather was solid, and JD's freshman year was Charlie's senior year.

The receivers Charlie worked with aren't quite Nuk and Sammy, but they were terrific. Hamilton, Youngblood, and Airese Currie was quite the trio to work with. He also had Kelvin Grant at wideout, and an underutilized Ben Hall to throw to at tight end. And don't forget Chansi Stuckey.

It's not like Charlie's surrounding cast was a bunch of scrubs. I think the OC situation had a bigger impact on his numbers (again, not like his numbers were anything to complain about).

I think the previous poster that lists the amount of games started by each, passes attempted, etc. shows how amazing this accomplishment really is.

Message was edited by: ClemsonToad6®

yes, but the most important stat to me......

Oct 9, 2012, 11:55 AM

Charlie Whitehurst: 4-0 vs the gamecocks

everybody is now starting to see why it's so important to beat them regardless of what we do inside or outside our conference...........BEAT USC.

Hopefully Tajh won't go down as Clemson's best ever QB statistic wise, but have that 0-4 or 0-5 vs USC by his name

Imagine Charlie's numbers if he had played for The Chad !***

Oct 9, 2012, 11:57 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Imagine Charlie's numbers if he had played for The Chad !***

Oct 9, 2012, 12:02 PM

The 4 game #### Teams that Charlies teams beat were no where near as good as they have been the last 3 years.cant compare!

Oct 9, 2012, 12:09 PM

Not only is he a great player he seems to be a great person who hasn't let superstardom go to his head. We stayed late after the game and waited outside for autographs for my 7 year old son. We saw two golfcarts coming through the tunnels and Tajh was on the first one he stopped and signed a few autographs and would have signed more but the cart behind him started saying we gotta go move on. The look and reaction of Tajh was a look of disappointment that he couldn't stay and sign more. It was just a real moment that showed how much he loves the fans. I was already a fan but that made me that much more of a fan of Tajh.

It is an amazing accomplishment by Boyd and not only has he

Oct 9, 2012, 12:20 PM

done it in less games than Charlie, he has accomplished it in about half the number of pass attempts. Charlie has around 1395 pass attempt and Boyd has around 750 or 775 attempts thus far.

However, keep in mind that Charlie didn't have the offensive weapons to throw to that Boyd has. Remember the game at Wake Forest where Charlie hit Chansi in stride but the ball went through Chansi's hands, bounced off his foot and right into the hands of the Wake defender. Nothing like that would happen with Nuk or Sammy. Also, Charlie never had a pass catching Tight End to throw to...the best TE while Charlie was at Clemson was Ben Hall and he was never used in the passing game.

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,166
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic