Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Preseason baseball projections
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Preseason baseball projections

Feb 14, 2013, 10:17 AM

I think it is a really tough call with so many new players. I expect it to take some time getting everybody in sync. The record may not be good enough to host a regional because of early struggles but I expect the team to make some noise in the post-season and at least get to a Super Regional.

What does everyone else think?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree

Feb 14, 2013, 10:32 AM

With the youth of our team and one bear of a schedule, I think we are going to pick up a few too many loses to host. That being said, I believe we will win our regional, because by that time I believe we will be much better than our record will suggest.

In short, I see us ended up the best #2 seed in the first round of the tourney, and traveling somewhere for a super. From there, who knows.

38 wins +/-3

Re: Preseason baseball projections

Feb 14, 2013, 10:34 AM

I really have no idea what kind of season to expect. I think we have some young talent on the pitching staff so we will see how that plays out and if Polhe can get healthy. I am worried about our offensive production with the departure of Shaffer, Pohl, and Stolz.

I don't think we'll be able to replace them, not with power

Feb 14, 2013, 10:38 AM

But I don't think we'll need to, with the depth at pitching and the speed on the basepaths.

I think the true test will be how well we play defensively with all the new starters.

IMO, replacing Stolz at short will be a bigger deal than replacing him at the plate.

I agree

Feb 14, 2013, 10:41 AM

Stolz will be very tough to replace at shortstop

Thought on the offense

Feb 14, 2013, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Preseason baseball projections ]

What I am hoping for is that since there is no big bat for everyone to look to that everyone will pick up the slack. I feel that last year's team expected one of those guys to get the job done. This year nobody knows whose job it is. That will either lead to nobody getting the big hit or lots of people stepping up to try to be that guy. I am hoping for the latter.

That's an interesting idea, hadn't thought of it that way,

Feb 14, 2013, 10:48 AM

but I agree, I seemed like there was way too much pressure on Shaffer and Pohl to come up with the hits last season, but I wonder how much of that is fan-perceived. For the most part, I think last years squad was lacking talent perhaps, but they proved to be tooth-and-nail fighters throughout the season. Much more so than some previous squads, they never gave up. I'd like to think they all wanted to step up and be that guy. Hopefully they can all contribute this season. Looks like Jack has one heck of a small-ball team in the making with these last couple of classes coming in. IMO we could use an upgrade in the assistant coach dept. as well (besides LeCroy).

Feb 14, 2013, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Preseason baseball projections ]

I agree that we won't be able to replace the power numbers put up by those guys but honestly I am hoping we don't try. The game has changed the last few years with the new bats and power numbers are not going to win you games. It has turned more into a national league type game where stolen bases, moving runners up, and timely singles with men in scoring position will win games, not the 3 run blast that everyone in college baseball used to rely on.

The last 3-5 years I have seen more pop-ups on the infield than I care to remember. It generally was from guys that had power trying to hit the monster blast and coming out of their shoes on the swing. I would rather see "Brad Chalk" type guys who put the ball in play, hit for a high percentage, and had a good eye at the plate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point, must have been 10,000 long fly-outs last year***

Feb 14, 2013, 10:50 AM

Feb 14, 2013, 10:45 AM

We will get better as the season goes on. Youth pitching will be key. Crownover will be a stud along w/ clate and Koerner. Finding someone who can slug will be the biggest part to this team. I think this will be one of Jack's more aggressive teams.

This team has very few power hitters....

Feb 14, 2013, 11:14 AM

so I think you will see them play "small ball" (i.e., scoring runs without getting very many extra base hits or sometimes without base hits at all. Instead, using walks, stolen bases, sacrifice bunts, sacrifice fly balls, hit-and-run, and aggressive baserunning to manufacture runs.

However, in order to do this, the pitching staff will really have to step-up and not allow alot of runs, We will also have to be very sound fundamentally and not beat ourselves with a bunch of fielding errors and baserunning mistakes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I agree with most of what you said

Feb 14, 2013, 11:20 AM

However, no home runs does not mean you can't score a lot of runs. I also think this team will get more extra base hits because of their speed. There is a lot of room in the outfield at DKS and line drives can be doubles and triples too.

Better base running and overall defense will be a major key though. You are correct about that.

That's actually a good point for clarification***

Feb 14, 2013, 11:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Yep, but you sure can score them quickly with the hr.***

Feb 14, 2013, 1:20 PM [ in reply to I agree with most of what you said ]

With the new bat and ball no one has power hitters........

Feb 14, 2013, 3:18 PM

Most schools with big ball parks are bring in the fence like Miss State or concidering doing so. Jack would like to bring the fence in at Clemson and I would to see that happen this off season.

Feb 14, 2013, 12:06 PM

I believe the freshmen will surprise you. Look for Steven Duggar to have a really good year. Campana has the chance to be a beast.

I hope you are right***

Feb 14, 2013, 12:11 PM

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic