Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Possibly Gemanic, but from-the-top-rope slam: Fulmer and TN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Possibly Gemanic, but from-the-top-rope slam: Fulmer and TN

Sep 23, 2019, 7:13 AM

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-takeaways-how-bad-can-it-get-at-tennessee-070643715.html
https://media-mbst-pub-ue1.s3.amazonaws.com/creatr-images/2019-09/7df678b0-dcef-11e9-b3fd-f7b4417ddd78">

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great article. Thanks for posting.***

Sep 23, 2019, 7:51 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess I'm not buying everything this sports writer is

Sep 23, 2019, 8:40 AM

selling. Obviously this sports writer thinks Fulmer is human garbage but I think he is oversimplifying Tennessee's problems by attributing them to the supposed backstabbing of Philip Fulmer.

His statement: "Later, Fulmer consistently attempted to undercut a procession of Tennessee coaches — Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley and Butch Jones" lacks any detail and proof of how Fulmer "undercut" or caused those coaches to fail. Quite frankly I think this is a fabricated stretch as these coaches failed on their own.

Nope things at Tennessee are not just Philip Fulmer's fault as the author seems to allege. Tennessee is where it is because of a series of bad hires starting with Lane Kiffin whose one and done screwing of Tennessee for USC did more to drag that program into black hole from a player and recruiting perspective than anything Fulmer has done.

Where I agree with the author is that too many outside forces influenced their last coaching search which was a public display of how NOT to hire a football coach. This last hire was critical to Tennessee getting back on track and they blew it. At the end of the day, Tennessee "settled" with Jeremy Pruitt because he was about the only guy willing to take the job after the public relations nightmare that highlighted the dysfunction that exists between the Tennessee athletic department, administration, donors, and fan base. The cross purposes between these entities sent a loud and clear message to smart coaches - DON'T GO TO TENNESSEE! Jeremy Pruitt was a horrible hire (about as inspirational as watching paint dry) but who else wanted the job?

Tennessee is a real mess and will remain so for the foreseeable future. At some point, Tennessee is going to have to come to the realization that they all have to start rowing in the same direction to fix their program. Talented people (players and coaches) will continue to stay away from that program until Tennessee has stability AND expectation management under control.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tennessee is what happens when...

Sep 23, 2019, 8:45 AM

You have two very powerful booster segments who cant agree on much of anything. The Haslam/Manning contingent has been at war with the rest of the major boosters for awhile. You cant have any stability when one set of major boosters is constantly trying to undercut anyone supported by the other set. That has what has been going on since Fulmer was fired and that is what is going on with this very article.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fulmer has long since been regarded as a ...

Sep 23, 2019, 8:57 AM [ in reply to I guess I'm not buying everything this sports writer is ]

self-serving, vindictive, backstabbing SOB and I do think a lot of UT's problems are attributable to him (he's still very bitter about being fired by UT AD Mike Hamilton following the 2008 season).

That said, I do agree that everything wrong at UT is not Fulmer's fault. As you mentioned, Tennessee's mess is, at least to a certain extent, the result of a series of bad hires which were exacerbated by allowing such decisions to be influenced by prominent boosters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Fulmer has long since been regarded as a ...

Sep 23, 2019, 9:08 AM

Everything wrong at UT isn't Fulmers fault... a lot of it is and he is definitely NOT the person to fix it.

I don't think there were bad hires. Not great hires -Dooley just wasn't a HC type - and Butch would have been given contract extensions a cootlumbia....but rather a unsupportive nightmare behind the scenes will prevent any reasonable coach from taking a chance. With Fulmer as the AD, there is a reason why even a sleaze of a Doeren would not go to knoxville.

yep,Fulmer backstabbed Johnny Majors to become head coach

Sep 23, 2019, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Fulmer has long since been regarded as a ... ]

I'm sure many of you remember how that went down.

http://keithdunnavant.com/byline_majors_betrayal.php

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forget about the article. The fact is, if Tennessee is

Sep 23, 2019, 9:04 AM

stupid enough to bring back a coach that they once rode out of town on a rail, they will end any chance they had of being relevant again in the world of college football for at least the next twenty years. They will be a dumpster fire that will make Cootlumbia look rosy by comparison. Prospective coaches will look at them like they are Chernobyl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Forget about the article. The fact is, if Tennessee is

Sep 23, 2019, 9:37 AM

Chernobyl....AKA The Dirtpeckers home .

Re: Forget about the article. The fact is, if Tennessee is

Sep 23, 2019, 9:50 AM

We joke about it, but if you do some deep reading about Chernobyl, It would curl your hair to know how close that came to being a WORLDWIDE disaster. Some heroic Russkies knowingly gave their lives to stop it from being much worse than it already was.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Favorite Memory Of Full-Of It....

Sep 23, 2019, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Forget about the article. The fact is, if Tennessee is ]

was the 2004 spanking at the hand of the Tigers in the Peach Bowl. I'll never forget Dwayne Coleman's punch at the coin toss .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qPxuwUGjRA

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic