Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Popular vote compact adds New Mexico reaching 189 electoral votes.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 434

Popular vote compact adds New Mexico reaching 189 electoral votes.

Apr 6, 2019, 8:45 AM

The compact could become official if they reach 270 electoral votes.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/04/popular-vote-compact-new-mexico/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This seems destined for a SCOTUS challenge.

Apr 6, 2019, 9:06 AM

The 12th Amendment says:

"The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President"

It does not allow for a "pooling" between states.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: This seems destined for a SCOTUS challenge.

Apr 6, 2019, 9:09 AM

It doesn't prohibit that either

Which is exactly why it will go to the courts.***

Apr 6, 2019, 9:18 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: This seems destined for a SCOTUS challenge.

Apr 6, 2019, 9:21 AM [ in reply to This seems destined for a SCOTUS challenge. ]

Yes. And if you look at the political affiliation of the states doing this it looks like a brazen attempt to force electoral votes to the left:

*The most populated areas are sanctuary cities harboring fugitive aliens.
*The establishment does not want to close or control our borders.
*Voter fraud (popular vote) will allow more electoral votes to be awarded to the left’s candidate.
*Repeat until all power is acquired.

They won't challenge it. States have latitude to decide how

Apr 6, 2019, 10:43 AM [ in reply to This seems destined for a SCOTUS challenge. ]

They select electors and how they vote. They used to have the legislature pick the electors instead of the voters. If they want to change electors to represent their popular vote they can. The founders though preferred the legislature do it and supported a popular vote least.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, but interstate pooling of votes via an agreement

Apr 6, 2019, 10:45 AM

Is absolutely a new and debatable concept. You addressed the intrastate aspect of it, and I agree, but this is new.

It will be challenged also by those within the states who feel like their votes are now disenfranchised by voters a couple thousand miles away.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't do interstate. Didn't know they would do it together..

Apr 6, 2019, 11:25 AM

They can't but functionally it would make little difference if each state reflects the popular vote. But each state must submit their electors no matter what.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can't do interstate. Didn't know they would do it together..

Apr 6, 2019, 11:32 AM

“The NPVIC is an agreement between states to pool their electoral votes together for the candidate who wins the states’ aggregated popular vote. States will award their electoral votes regardless of individual state voting results.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't do. Not legally. But who cares about that anymore***

Apr 6, 2019, 1:54 PM

They can, because the states are free to use any method.***

Apr 8, 2019, 7:32 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

I'm sorry, this makes no sense to me.

Apr 7, 2019, 8:04 AM

Wouldn't this make it more likely for a Republican candidate to win? These are all "blue" states anyway. So if a Democrat wins the national popular vote, then the same electoral votes are cast that already would have been.

But if a Republican wins the national popular vote, then all these electoral votes, which would have been Democratic, will become Republican.

No?

Never mind, now I see that it's not a national popular vote

Apr 7, 2019, 8:07 AM

but a popular vote just among the "compacted" states. Seems like it wouldn't change many, if any, electoral votes.

Also, it's stupid.

Re: Never mind, now I see that it's not a national popular vote

Apr 8, 2019, 7:34 AM

It's unusual to see you this judgmental on an issue you first learned about 5 seconds ago.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

No, it's the states agreeing to pledge their electors to...

Apr 8, 2019, 7:56 AM

vote the way the national popular vote goes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should have added...

Apr 8, 2019, 7:59 AM

"according to the guy how founded the concept". I heard him interviewed on the Michael Smerconish show and it was discussed in great detail.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s incorrect as I understand it.

Apr 8, 2019, 9:57 AM [ in reply to No, it's the states agreeing to pledge their electors to... ]

It’s the states in the agreement pledging their votes to the aggregate total popular vote winner from within the states in the compact.

So just using nice round numbers, let’s say candidate A wins New Mexico by 100k votes. If you add up the other states in the agreement, and Candidate B is the popular vote winner in those states by more than 100k votes, Colorado’s electoral votes go to Candidate B, despite candidate A clearly winning the state.

Any popular vote totals from states not in the agreement will be disregarded. They aren’t looking to partner with South Carolina and Alabama in this effort.

I mean, I read the article...the concept is hogwash.

Apr 8, 2019, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Never mind, now I see that it's not a national popular vote ]

I'll be glad to read something that presented the idea, with some reasons that it's not hogwash.

Why would a state cast electoral votes

Apr 8, 2019, 9:57 AM

based on anything besides how that specific state votes? What reason would a state have for doing this, besides politicians wanting to manipulate an election toward a particular candidate?

Not only do I think the concept is illogical, I don't even see how it would be "effective" in changing anything for these states doing it.

For purple states with Dem leaders in power right now,

Apr 8, 2019, 10:00 AM

This is an effort to make them solidly blue states by hitching their electoral votes to solidly blue states.

It would be very effective in ensuring a Democrat President for perpetuity.

Didn't really see any purple states...

Apr 8, 2019, 11:14 AM

Maybe Colorado, but I thought it was trending blue, and would continue to go that way in the future.

Re: Popular vote compact adds New Mexico reaching 189 electoral votes.

Apr 8, 2019, 5:43 AM

MemphisCat said:

The compact could become official if they reach 270 electoral votes.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/04/popular-vote-compact-new-mexico/

There is a counter compact in the works. It calls for states to award all if their electoral votes to the Presidential candidate who wins the popular vote in the most counties nationwide.

That would be very, very good for Republican candidates if it gets traction.

Replies: 21
| visibility 434
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic