Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Poor Georgia Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 4,921

Poor Georgia Tech

Jul 21, 2016, 5:17 PM

Per David Hood: "At the ACC officiating forum, and we are told linemen can't block below the waist from the side and below the waist."

https://twitter.com/mdavidhood/status/756213512985280513

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But can they block below the waist?

Jul 21, 2016, 5:28 PM

Or can they block above the feet below the waist?

Let me ask if they can block below the waist one last time so that I can be more confused with the tweet cuz I thought blocking below the waist covered all blocks below the waist.

So... can they block below the waist or can they block below the waist?

Tia.

~JKB

Re: Poor Georgia Tech

Jul 21, 2016, 5:28 PM

Holy Moly - If that is true, then Paul Johnson's seat just got smoldering hot. He has NO OFFENSE if they can't do that. They will lose every game once that rule is put in place.

Justin Thomas from the shotgun?

Jul 21, 2016, 5:29 PM

Sign me up!!!

~JKB

Someone needs to block Paul Johnson below the waist...

Jul 21, 2016, 5:39 PM

...before it becomes illegal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PJ = fired mid-season

Jul 21, 2016, 10:01 PM

Lol

You gotta almost know that this is PJ's last season. They're

Jul 22, 2016, 1:17 AM

not going to win the Coastal, and the natives are getting antsy to see real football being played again. This gimmick worked when Wake and BC ruled the roost, but times have changed.

That being said, we haven't won at that ##### tank in nearly a decade. It will take total focus and execution to accomplish that this year. The Bees are a troublesome tribe.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That gimmick should have never taken place @ GT

Jul 22, 2016, 10:02 AM

A university sitting in the middle of Atlanta could recruit a lot better players running either a Pro Style or Spread offense.Johnson is better suited for a place like BC or Wake,

For real. PJ's scheme has probably helped us recruit better

Jul 22, 2016, 7:13 PM

out of that area over the last decade - so it's a mixed bag if he's canned.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't bother holding for an hour to talk to Walt. He will do

Jul 21, 2016, 10:05 PM

4 hours solo on this topic alone...............

Is this the first year that this stance has been taken at

Jul 22, 2016, 9:54 AM

the acc kickoff? I'm glad to hear the news but wonder why the change now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Careful What You Wish For

Jul 23, 2016, 4:36 AM

If not for cut blocks, chop blocks, high-low blocks and leg whips, I couldn't have played the single wing game 55 years ago. Of these, I think the cut block should remain legal, as long as it's head-to-head. If we take away the cut block, we might as well put a skirt on every player and start playing flag football.

If you disagree, go back and look at the beautiful roll-cut block by Roderick McDowell that protected Tajh Boyd's right side on 4th and 16 against LSU.

D-linemen are getting bigger and bigger and without a cut block, I don't see much hope for a RB to keep a 325+lb DT or 250+lb DE away from his QB. Whether at the line, in the backfield or on the edge, a cut block is the great equalizer that makes a defender respect his (often) smaller opponent. He has a choice of whether to jump the blocker, back up or get into him before he can get low..... pick your poison.

Re: Careful What You Wish For

Jul 23, 2016, 6:40 AM

The way i read it was that blocking from the side below the waist would be illegal. Blocking straight on below the waist will be allowed. If this is correct, calling it at the LOS will be subjective and controversial. Good luck to the ACC officials trying to call this correctly.

Re: Careful What You Wish For

Jul 23, 2016, 7:02 AM

I couldn't tell from the tweet if they were going to allow head-to-head cut blocking or not, but I agree that it will be a mess for officials to call on O-linemen.

One of the best blocks you'll ever see is a pulling guard on the edge delivering a good cut block. I'd hate to see that eliminated..... and I'd hate to be the pulling guard trying to get above the waist on a retreating defender while worrying about a penalty call.

As far as I know the ACC officials don't make up their

Jul 23, 2016, 8:25 AM

own college rules. Here is the only thing that has changed in blocking blow the waist and they don't seem to have hardly changed:

9. Blocking Below the Waist (Rule 9-1-6) FR-89
Changes to paragraph a: (New language is in bold italics)
“a. Team A prior to a change of team possession:
1. The following Team A players may legally block below the waist inside the tackle box until they leave the tackle box or until the ball has left the tackle box: (a) players on the line of scrimmage completely inside the tackle box and (b) stationary backs who are at least partially inside the tackle box and at least partially inside the frame of the body of the second lineman from the snapper.

2. Except as in paragraph 3 (below), players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) while the ball is still in the tackle box, and all players after the ball has left the tackle box, are allowed to block below the waist only if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front. “From the front” is understood to mean within the clock-face region between “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the player being blocked.

3. Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) may not block below the waist toward the line through the original position of the ball at the snap until the ball carrier is clearly beyond the neutral zone.

4. Once the ball has left the tackle box a player may not block below the waist toward his own end line.”
Comments: Simplifies and clarifies the rule. Note that the “low-blocking zone” is no longer defined, and everything is in reference to the tackle box. Also clarifies the rule regarding the crackback block.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 4,921
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic