Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pointing out a couple of key things - Chase Young
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Pointing out a couple of key things - Chase Young

Nov 13, 2019, 8:11 PM

(1)
Young was subject to a suspension because his loan from a "family friend" either did not meet NCAA rules on such loans or was not reported (it DID occur LAST year). So why the big wait? Did someone blow the whistle or did the NCAA just stumble on the info & start investigating - or something else?

(2)
Because there are NCAA rules on the ANOUNT a loan can be without penalties INCREASING - Young's loan AMOUNT called for a 4-game suspension instead of 2 games, unless on appeal, the NCAA reduced the penalty. Young & OHST did appeal (just like Clemson's "Ostarine guys"), but in Young's case the NCAA cut the penalty from 4 games to 2. That is inconsistent! Refuse one player's appeal - GRANT another's.

(3)
The Chase Young case's timing is the most convenient I've ever heard of. Was the reporting of the violation withheld for just the right moment so to cause the LEAST amount of damage? Had it been reported when it happened, Young would have missed the Rose Bowl game - or maybe the WIS game in this season. However it was "worked out," Young's absence vs Maryland & Rutgers
caused THE LEAST problem for OHST.

(4)
This might be news to Young, OHST & the "family friend," but the IRS COULD jump in this well-publicized case. See, according to IRS rules & tax law - ANY loan made to anyone (even one you make to your poor mother), MUST be reported and INTEREST CHARGED - or the one loaning the money owes the feds the interest (a rate the IRS WILL SET) plus the PENALTY for not reporting the loan. This might still cause "IRS trouble" for the "family friend" AND Chase Young.
Which is worse? IRS trouble or NCAA trouble?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t understand why the NCAA is involved in that anyway

Nov 13, 2019, 8:19 PM

Was it because it was money to send his girlfriend to a football game? Like if he got the money to buy a junkie car would it have even mattered?

Either there’s something else going on and OSU is using this story to cover up something bigger or this should be a non issue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don’t understand why the NCAA is involved in that anyway

Nov 13, 2019, 8:35 PM

From reading the NCAA Codes on these things, any "loan" for anything must follow NCAA rules & regs. So $1,000 for an old beater car WOULD have to be reported. First, in such a case, the "family friend" would have to meet the NCAA's murky definition - AND - its guidelines on the AMOUNT. All that said, you better report it immediately or face sanctions.

Also, not kidding about the IRS & "loans." They find out you didn't report the loan AND didn't charge interest - you're under their microscope - maybe enough to trigger a field audit. Not worth it and NO FUN.

There are ways to get loans to legitimate ways

Nov 14, 2019, 8:53 AM [ in reply to I don’t understand why the NCAA is involved in that anyway ]

Instead of family friends that were made during your recruitment.

Getting his GF to the game cost him a a 2 game suspension. Hope he at least got to 3rd base.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Pointing out a couple of key things - Chase Young

Nov 13, 2019, 8:26 PM

when you're one of the sacred cows of collegiate football and sports in general,you are granted special status as you are just about untouchable.uncheat comes to mind.your indiscretions are overlooked.the college sacred cows pretty much parallel our beloved leaders in washinton,dc.it all has to do with money in various ways.sad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 14, 2019, 8:37 AM

To set an example for everyone and make sure this kind of thing never happens again the NCAA should give Ohio State the 'death penalty'...If it was good enough for lowly SMU it should be good enough for OSU. After the amounts are not the issue here just the breaking of the rules and then not reporting them until the self imposed outcome would not matter! Notice that the death penalty has not been used with the mess at Miami, North Carolina, Florida State, Missouri, Colorado or Tennessee...these issues were not just boosters gone wild but epidemic within University Staff! Miami was so bad that they were switching coaches every two years (once a coach saw what was going on he took any chance to get out even though he had won a Natty) North Carolina was across the university...academics & athletics staff working together! Is the NCAA a toothless #####?

You will never see the death penalty again. It completely

Nov 14, 2019, 8:52 AM

destroyed SMU. It's been 35 years and they didn't have a winning season for 20 years after that. They needed to be punished but just like a lot of heavy handed power drunk moves the NCAA made back then, it was way too harsh in the name of setting an example, while blue blood programs got away with recruiting murder.

You think OSU should get the death penalty for one

Nov 14, 2019, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Pointing out a couple of key things - Chase Young ]

player borrowing like a grand to fly his GF to a bowl game? I'm glad you aren't a judge.

That IRS thing is silly

Nov 14, 2019, 9:05 AM

Literally nobody reports interest free loans between friends and family members.

Re: That IRS thing is silly

Nov 14, 2019, 6:19 PM

and the penalty/tax would be trivial anyway.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 2:09 PM

My issue with #3 is there was absolutely no benefit for OSU to sit on it "this long." It's easy for anyone to say they didn't know about it until after the Rose Bowl game, but just report it then. He'd sit out a maximum of the first 4 games this season which they weren't going to lose either.

Nov 14, 2019, 2:14 PM

My question has been: Why didn't the girlfriend get a loan?

Nov 14, 2019, 2:24 PM

Say whatever you like, the NCAA is very inconsistent and unfair. It is a joke, except to the teams it decides to enforce rules on( which, obviously it is not everyone.) Besides being unfair, they don’t seem to care how obvious it is!

Nov 14, 2019, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Pointing out a couple of key things - Chase Young ]

Because Lennay Kekua doesn't have established credit?

Nov 14, 2019, 3:34 PM

I will agree, the timing and speed at which this was resolved for crazy fast for the NCAA. I believe some of this was pre-staged.

Nov 14, 2019, 6:08 PM

I'm no Ohio State fan but regarding:

(1)/(3) The timing is suspect but we don't really have much information to go on as to why it specifically came out not.

(2) This is a bad comparison for multiple reasons.
a) There's nothing inconsistent with granting one player's appeal and denying another's when the circumstances are not similar in the slightest.
b) We have no idea what evidence Young presented in his appeal.
c) We essentially know that Clemson never uncovered a reasonable culprit for the Ostarine. Had they uncovered anything that exonerated either the players or especially the University they would have made it public.

(4) Unless the interest that should have been generated on the loan is in excess of $15,000 then the loaner can claim the interest is a gift. Or if the loan itself is less than $15,000 then both parties can just claim they were a couple gifts. There is literally no chance the IRS would ever get involved here. It's not worth their time or taxpayer money.

Nov 14, 2019, 6:50 PM

Right now the NCAA is fighting for its relevance and continued mission and therefore its life. If it has begun soft-peddling penalties, I find it understandable. I also find it understandable--though unfortunate--that blue blood programs would take advantage of the situation by self-reporting an inadvertent violation at the exact time that benefits them, and the report comes with an enclosed offer of a plea deal that hurts them very little.

The NCAA still gets to look like the cop on the corner, the kid learns a lesson and pays a minimal price, and the school enhances its public image of ethical behavior. Win-win-win.

I don't know why we are still complaining about the NCAA/cop on the corner not being more aggressive with a self-reported purse-snatcher, when the cop's life is being threatened by a pack of wild dogs.

Mizzou is who I feel bad for. Because they were honest and self- reported, the NCAA handed down its heavy-handed judgment before it realized its life was at risk. If Mizzou had forced the NCAA to do the investigation, the case would have dragged out until the NCAA was totally toothless. If they could have foreseen how weak the NCAA would appear to be right now, I'm sure they would have delayed.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic