Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Record Crowd for Duke's "Fan Day"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,510

Record Crowd for Duke's "Fan Day"

Aug 19, 2013, 10:36 AM

Record crowd for Duke's Meet the Blue Devils day

Despite the cold, drizzly weather outside, about 1,700 people filed into Duke’s indoor practice facility to see the Blue Devils and collect autographs at their annual meet-and-greet event.

“This was incredible, starting with the number of fans,” Head coach David Cutcliffe said. “It was a large number.”

The line for Cutcliffe's autograph was the longest, spanning 60 yards on multiple occasions. The attendance broke last year’s record, and the Blue Devils are hoping to take that same upward trajectory to the field. After making their first bowl appearance since 1994 in the Charlotte Belk Bowl, the Blue Devils are attempting to clinch back-to-back bowl berths for the first time in school history.

“Last year was a huge step, and this year it’s even bigger,” said Kenny Anunike, a sixth-year senior who can remember back to the time before Duke staged Meet the Blue Devils in the indoor practice facility. “People are wearing their Belk Bowl shirts, they’re bringing by their Belk Bowl memorabilia saying they were sitting out there in the freezing cold cheering us on, and they can’t wait for wherever we go this year, that they’re going to follow us, travel with us. We have to make sure that that happens. That’s up to us.”

One new face set to help Duke in that pursuit is Jeremy Cash, who will start at safety after sitting out last year as a result of his transfer from Ohio State. Several people told him they were excited to see him play, Cash said.

“A lot of people actually know who I am,” he said, “So that’s a pretty good feeling.”

INJURY UPDATE: Cutcliffe confirmed Sunday that redshirt junior Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo will not be ready for the opening game against N.C. State on Aug. 31. DeWalt-Ondijo, listed as the backup defensive end behind Anunike on the preseason depth chart, is still in the rehabilitation process with his surgically repaired left ankle and has not practiced with the team.

Justin Foxx—who I selected as a key to Duke’s defensive success—is still questionable for the opener, according to Cutcliffe. Foxx is recovering from January knee surgery.

“I’m hoping that we may be able to get some snaps out of Justin. I don’t see him playing an entire game,” Cutcliffe said regarding the game against N.C. Central. “But somewhere in here we’ve got to get Justin’s confidence back in that knee. He’s running really well and he’s doing his drills full speed. It’s just 11-on-11, he’s not comfortable enough in that regard yet.”

For what it’s worth, Foxx said Friday that he would be ready in time for the season’s start.

For all the latest Duke news, like Duke NOW on Facebook and follow me on Twitter

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/record-crowd-for-dukes-meet-the-blue-devils-day#storylink=cpy

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point taken... I'd rather watch my kids cry for not getting

Aug 19, 2013, 10:45 AM

an autograph than trade being a Tiger Fan!

I'm in Michigan so fortunately I didn't have to worry about Fan Day this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good for them. Actually impressive for Duke football.***

Aug 19, 2013, 10:48 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Record Crowd for Duke's "Fan Day"

Aug 19, 2013, 10:51 AM

Wait, Duke football has fans?

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

1700 of em'!!***

Aug 19, 2013, 10:52 AM

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

breaking news: duke fans upset, thought they were meeting

Aug 19, 2013, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Record Crowd for Duke's "Fan Day" ]

the basketball team. when word got out that it was for football, the crowd immediately dispersed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Next year Duke is setting their sights even higher

Aug 19, 2013, 10:56 AM

and going for 2,000 fans. The media is split on whether they acheive this lofty goal or not

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

and an indoor practice facility. Impressive.***

Aug 19, 2013, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Record Crowd for Duke's "Fan Day" ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke fan day now so large they can call it Fans Day***

Aug 19, 2013, 11:56 AM

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,510
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic