Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball

Apr 2, 2014, 10:47 PM

The future is bright for Clemson basketball

The pain of Clemson's loss to SMU late Tuesday night still resonates, but the truth is that Brad Brownell's team far exceeded expectations this season, and there are reasons to believe next year could be even better. (Joshua S. Kelly-USA TODAY Sports) Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball

Apr 3, 2014, 4:08 AM

Although I would agree that there was noted improvement in the basketball team this year, I think that an argument can also be made that the bottom line is we at Clemson are beginning to accept mediocrity across it Athletic Programs. The gold standard in basketball is to make the NCAA! Are we going to be happy and satisfied with a deep run into the NIT and a loss to a team that we were up by twelve points on and should have beaten. Carolina won back to back NITs under Coach Odom and we know where there Program is currently. I think our expectations, commitment, and accountability has to be much higher than that in all sports. Coaches shouldn't get raises unless they win. BB has come in and upgraded the Program with better defense and an ability to develop average bigs into better players. But his in game coaching cost us several important and key games where we had winnable leads. College basketball has developed into a game of rhythm and runs and you cant just play defense the same way each time down the floor. When the other team makes their run you have to disrupt them in some way out of that rhythm or you give up a twelve point lead. I am not sure BB gets that. In a couple of games this year where he did flash his zone and the 1-3-1 trap they were effective. Some teams can even chance defenses mid-possession. It is up to the Coach to change the momentum of the game! That is what he gets paid for. Other issues this year, getting the ball in bounds. We have " no cutters" but we let SMU go long on us to close out the game, something we could not do and which cost us the Pittsburgh game and maybe an NCAA appearance. So in my opinion Clemson basketball still has a long way to go; you can't blame it on youth, (Kentucky starts five freshman, granted NBA prospects) but watch those sweet 16 games and you see a different level of play, coaching moves and strategy, and certainly talent. Hopefully KJ will come back next year to further develop his game, Blossomgame (who has been through so much at Clemson...you have to love that kid) overcomes this leg injury again, Nnoko continues his development, our guard play becomes more consistent, we are able to recruit better all around players, and our ability to affect change in the flow of the game will take us to the next level where we can say we had a great year....went deep into the NCAAs even getting to the Sweet 16 or the Elite 8 like we did in 1980. Then we can talk about a great season of achievement. Lets not accept mediocrity at Clemson with any Program. JP

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2014, 5:03 AM

Totally agree.
This season was like two books I had to read way back in high school,and hated.
It was a season of "Great Expectations",and
"A Tale of Two Cities".
We had (a) great moments,but also (b) major meltdowns
where we had sizeable leads,or couldn't hold a lead when we got it.
Our defense was great,but there were times I cringed at our offensive shot making.
Definitly can't wait for the new kid(DeVoe),and Blossingame and Rooks returning healthy.
Would be nice to see K.J.come back,but wouldn't blame him for taking the(NBA) money.

Apr 3, 2014, 7:13 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

so i guess coach brownell was supposed to come in and be adolph rupp right off the bat at a school with our history and the train wreck purnell left us in. basketball recruiting is all about relationships. coach just signed his best class by far and this year can do nothing but help that. if you have ever met coach you would know mediocrity is not in his vocabulary and if you can not see the player development on the team then you are the one that is blind. rome was not built in a day, especially at clemson. coach brownell is what clemson needs and we are #### lucky to have him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point, couldn't agree more! Brownell has proven he can

Apr 3, 2014, 7:37 AM

develop players starting with his first team. Purnell only had one signee when he left and of course he bolted and that was OK the first year with the players we had and being able to develop further but it really left us in a bind the next 2 years as we were shorthanded and very inexperienced. Not a good combination when playing in the ACC!

Apr 3, 2014, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

I agree.....this is great news for Clemson. You are becoming a good basketball program in what will always be a basketball conference. That plays right into Swoffies plan. It's finally coming full circle for you guys....

Don't worry Swoffie fan, Clemson will always be

Apr 3, 2014, 12:22 PM

a football power, even after we develop a basketball program that challenges the Tar Holes every year. Too bad UNC can't say the same about their football program.

Lets hope McDaniels comes back, but even if he leaves for

Apr 3, 2014, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

the NBA our future is getting bright. I admire how coach has become a strong leader at Clemson. After watching our team improve and surpass nearly everyone's expectations, I would say he deserves ACC coach of the year.

I'm excited about Clemson basketball and can't wait until next season.

Re: Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball***

Apr 3, 2014, 7:36 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

Re: Re: Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball***

Apr 3, 2014, 7:45 AM

###???

Beginning to accept mediocrity? Clemson basketball has always been less than mediocre.

We need to play better defense? We played excellent defense and was 2nd in the country in pt allowed and top ten in blocks and 3pt Fg %.

We need to better develop our bigs? Did you not see massive improvement in nnokos game?

We had major meltdowns? No we actually had many more come from behind wins than meltdowns.

We don't change our defense? We actually change it all the time but only a sharp eye would notice.

Yes brownell cost us a few games but do does every coach I America.

As a long time basktball fan I am pleased with the improvement we have this year compared to last. This team never ever stopped fighting.

Apr 3, 2014, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

I agree with JP as I am NOT a sunshine pumper. JP nailed it IMO. Why everyone is so eager to accept a lower standard is beyond me. When we've lost 15 in a row to the coots in FB and can't even remember winning a baseball series against them, then maybe even the slow ones will understand. I actually get annoyed at articles like this - even though these people are just doing a job and doing it well.

For me - it's "Just the facts m'am". You cannot fix a problem if you don't even realize you have one.

Apr 3, 2014, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Apr 3, 2014, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

Lets be honest ... Clemson BB has never been on the same scale as the Dukes, and Carolina's. Will that change? ... maybe not. Why? Because we all know that Football is King in Clemson! Is football the King in crappy hill and Durham? No! ... However I like what the team did this year. From where they were projected to finish and with a possibility of finishing 5th in the ACC was tremendous! We should have gotten the call against Duke in the tournament and we could have gotten an invite to the NCAA. Even still ... the effort of this team was there all year! They never gave up. Lets give the players and the coaching staff a little bit of credit. I would have loved to see these guys win an NIT championship. A reward for all there hard work. If we can keep the arrow pointed upwards - I think Clemson nation will continue to embrace the BB program. First things first tho ... lets break that O for at Crappy Hill!! Go Tigers!

Seriously? We are never going to be a Duke or UNC when it

Apr 3, 2014, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

comes to recruiting in basketball. We can very good, but do you realize how tough it is to compete year-in-and-year-out against teams that start mostly McDonald's All-Americans?

If you think Brownell can't coach, you are an idiot. Maybe they should fire BB and hire you. I'm sure you'll have us in the sweet 16 every year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Appreciate the sentiment JP, but...

Apr 3, 2014, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

At this stage in our basketball program, this year's team was a huge sigh of relief for me. For the first time in a long time, I see a ray of hope. A foundational start.

Should we be satisfied to just be better than we were? No. But we have to start somewhere and Brad has at least gotten us to the starting point. If you don't see that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

There was no way he was going to win the ACC this year or even get to the sweet sixteen this year, so judging him and the team based on those metrics is unfair. The program was left in disarray for BB to resurrect. You cannot say he hasn't at least done that.

Be happy that we now have some hope for a brighter future and yes, we need to expect more next year. We should have surprisingly made the NCAA tournament this year. Next year we better make it! Next year we should expect to go further in the ACC tournament too.

Expect more, yes. Appreciate what has been accomplished, @&$$ yes!

Holy wall of text......***

Apr 3, 2014, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

Apr 3, 2014, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

I am very happy with how this team played this year and I am happy with the coaching staff. NEITHER IS MEDIOCRE!
They are TIGERs and playing their hearts out...
We have some fans such as yourself that do not deserve this team... you think you deserve more but you deserve far less!

Sorry: Took awhile to break down this wall of type

Apr 3, 2014, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

I'll open with a time-proven introduction: Punctuation is your friend, unless you're trying to hide something.

In this case what is trying to be hidden is flawed logic. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that your statements are heartfelt, borne of frustration of a dream coming so close.

But by and large, they are also inaccurate.

The notion that because people are happy about a 10-game improvement in basketball this year somehow equals "accepting mediocrity in basketball" is specious. I defy you to find a program that wouldn't be happy about such a step forward, nor one that wouldn't be optimistic about its future.

The gold standard in Clemson basketball for decades has been avoiding humiliation. Post ACC-tournament play, either in the NIT or NCAA has been more dream than goal. Thankfully, we appear to be at a threshold of sustained success, between OP and BB's tenures in the past decade. What has been accomplished by these men at Clemson can in no way be considered "settling for mediocrity."

As to the points about our loss to SMU ... disappointing? Sure. Of course one could ask Cal and UConn and Cincy if their losses to SMU after piling up early leads were a sign of incompetence.

UCS did indeed win back-to-back NIT titles. Wichita State, Virginia and Baylor managed to parlay it into something a wee bit more. The question remains to be seen if we use the NIT run as a springboard, as these programs did, or considerit a ceiling, as UCS did. Given that EVERY Clemson team in the past 30 years has followed an NIT appearance with an NCAA game, I think I know which way I'll bet.

"Coaches shouldn't get raises unless they win." So, coming in and taking over a train wreck, leading Clemson to the biggest turnaround in nearly 70 years isn't winning?

"BB's in game coaching cost us several important and key games where we had winnable leads. College basketball has developed into a game of rhythm and runs and you can't just play defense the same way each time down the floor."

I cannot begin to recall all the times Clemson switched from man to zone trap to 1-3-1. Our losses (with a couple of red-hot shooting exceptions) came on the offensive side of the ball. Scoring droughts, not defense, were our downfall ... and we knew it would be that way going into the season. Even people who were certain we'd be .500 at best never doubted we'd be a tough defense.

Many of your points are certainly debatable, but the contention that Clemson's defense or lack of adjustment led to losses is downright laughable.

Are you really comparing Clemson's player skill to Kentucky? Are you truly insinuating that Petrino would get the same result from our guys? The same effort, perhaps ... let no one sell our guys short on busting their rear ends out there ... but you weaken an already faulty argument with such contention.

Unlike your perception of the team, I take what happened this year as proof Clemson basketball truly is on the cusp of the success you seem to doubt. You point out incidents that cost us a shot at the Dance as proof we are mediocre.

I see them as the small things a young team endures in reaching the next level. Remember the setbacks UVa. had last year? A lack of a shooter when the Hoos REALLY needed one?

How about Wichita State two years ago? How about Dayton a few years back with a cadre of young players just getting their feet wet? Nearly all of Stanford's team this year was part of an NIT run a couple of years ago.

Were they mediocre? Or were they just not quite ready for the big stage.

I contend that Clemson this year wasn't quite ready. Little things in a variety of places ... Nnoko's rawness, especially on defense against experience big men, the guard's occasionally lapsing into lazy passes, an expectation for KJ to bail them out and certainly a weakness on in-bounds plays ... all left us just short.

I also contend that we will be that much better for the lessons learned this year. And that a year from now, we'll be parsing an NCAA run rather than an NIT.

Let's agree to disagree about mediocrity until then ... because I am firmly convinced that word will not be used for Clemson basketball again for a long ... LONG ... time.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry: Took awhile to break down this wall of type

Apr 3, 2014, 10:15 PM

Excellent points. The thing that impressed me about the team is they competed very well in the ACC with just one double figure scorer and no one who could shoot consistently and be counted on to hit critical outside shots at the end of games. That was the main problem with the offense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Re: Sorry: Took awhile to break down this wall of type

Apr 7, 2014, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Sorry: Took awhile to break down this wall of type ]

Totally "Right-On" analysis ... big Mahalo.

Lazy passes on occasion - exactly ... surely that will diminish next season.

I'm far less a strategy guy than a historic trends guy. Many trends need to be known and two are (1) John Wooden - over a decade at UCLA before getting NCAA tournament success ... (2) John Thompson took over a disaster at Georgetown and in about 8 years had them way into the NCAA tournament.

I'm happy with the Clemson Basketball situation.

Apr 3, 2014, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

I am not reading that wall of text.

null

Apr 3, 2014, 9:57 AM

We have some promising talent but unless we develop a half court offense we will never make a run in the NCAA tourney. I have seen church league teams with better half court offensive plans. We often waste 3/4's the shot clock without ever getting the ball past the hash line & end up jacking up 30 ft. jumpers to get a shot off or we turn the ball over. Brownell needs to hire an offensive coordinator.

In due course...

Apr 3, 2014, 10:24 AM

He had to build up the talent and until he had that going, D was the focus. Offense will get equal attention now and who knows, BB may hire an assistant that knows how to run an offense.

Apr 3, 2014, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The future is bright for Clemson basketball ]

lol and another guy who knows jack #### about Basketball.

null

Apr 3, 2014, 11:10 AM

We sure missed Blossingame in MSG! His rebounding might have been the ingredient we were missing?
I look forward to next year... We should be in the mix for a top 6 ACC finish again even if KJ goes to NBA... with him we should be in the mix for an ACC title... that would be nice... i do not think we have ever won one of those in Basketball. We did win the regular season 1 time I think or did we tie for the regular season?

Hitting the 3

Apr 3, 2014, 4:50 PM

if we can find two guys who can consistently hit the tray, the team will be a lot better.
I felt Rooks was suppose to be that guy...and what about
Harrison; Had he played the whole year like he played the
last few games. we would had made the tourn. and made some noise there, IMO.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic