Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Plyler's Blog: Rivalry
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Plyler's Blog: Rivalry

Apr 17, 2017, 9:25 AM

Rivalry

Rival
An old joke among Clemson fans says that we need a new rival because ours is broke.

I was having lunch with a good Clemson friend last week, and the rivalry came up. He made some good points in his case that South Carolina is not our rival anymore. He made claims that Florida Stat

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Plyler's Blog: Rivalry

Apr 17, 2017, 9:29 AM

I understand and agree w the logic here but their last win streak against us is still too recent to totally forget them as a rival.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2017, 9:41 AM

I agree

Against the Seminoles

Apr 17, 2017, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Plyler's Blog: Rivalry ]

we are 8 - 6 in the last 14 meetings back to 2003. Pretty good rivalry.

Against SC, we are 8 - 6 in the last 14 meetings - but have been pretty dominant lately and historically.

Agree that losing to SC hurts more than losing to FSU and for me USC will always be the true rival - even though we "own" the rivalry.

56 - 7 and more to come!

Go Tigers!

Apr 17, 2017, 9:40 AM

I think it depends on how FSU views Clemson. My opinion is that the criminoles view Clemson as annoying and tend to look down on the tigers. A few more losses to Clemson and I think that will change. Fsu will always look at the gators and hurricanes as true rivals. As for me I think usuck and ugay will always be true rivals.

Apr 17, 2017, 10:03 AM

In football USC is our true rival and GaT for me is second... FSU is a necessary test to advance to other level, the division, the ACC, the playoffs.

In basketball there is no one that i would rather beat than UNC, no one I hate losing to more. I would rather win one game in chapel hill than win the ACC. But they are not a rival, I simply hate losing to UNC in basketball.

In baseball there is no one close to USC, I do not have a second, winning the series with USC makes it a successful baseball season and every thing else is good but simply a bonus.

To be a rival, it has to flow both ways, it has to hurt even when the sport does not matter to you. That is why USC and Clemson are rivals. I enjoy beating them in tennis and golf ( and hate losing to them ) even though I am not able to name one player on either team.

SC is our rival because...

Apr 17, 2017, 11:13 AM

we have to put up with them EVERY DAY. It is not about who we recruit against or blocks our national aspirations. If you don't understand that then you haven't lived here long enough or you don't get out enough!

Go Tigers beat the Gamecocks every year in every sport!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2017, 11:50 AM

There are 50 posts about Scar (mostly making fun of them) to every one post about FSU on TigerNet.

Whether they are worthy or not, the coots are and forever will be our main rival.

As much as they annoy us, if they ceased to exist, Clemson sports would be less fun.

Apr 17, 2017, 11:52 AM

I agree with the last statement. Its our biggest rival because we live next to those idiots and see them every day at work and school. They talk the most crap for them to have a a God awful program. I mean their best achievement in school history is the 5 years where they beat us and had 3 straight 11 win seasons. That is seriously sad.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2017, 11:59 AM

We should not only want to beat usuck but expect to beat them in any head to head matchup.

As for metrics I totally agree with what they're saying. Our metrics for fb should be bama, metrics for bball should be uncheat. Baseball is a toss up, coots of late not a bad measure but no reason we shouldn't compete for super regional and be disappointed if we're not in Omaha every year.

I've long advocated to be like Florida every year. Championships in every sport national stage in every sport. Including tennis. A natty in every sport every 10 years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who is the one team you absolutely do not want to lose to? ****

Apr 17, 2017, 12:11 PM

Re: who is the one team you absolutely do not want to lose to? ****

Apr 17, 2017, 12:18 PM

Coots!

But let me pose a scenario. If we had not lost to Pitt, would very likely could have lost the Scar game and still made the CFP (assuming we still beat Va. Tech the next week).

So, if you had to choose to beat only one of the two, would you rather:

A) beat the coots for the state championship
B) beat Bama for the national championship

Re: who is the one team you absolutely do not want to lose to? ****

Apr 17, 2017, 2:10 PM

A

This is the key question, and it's always been SCAR

Apr 18, 2017, 1:48 PM [ in reply to who is the one team you absolutely do not want to lose to? **** ]

In the 1980s we wanted to beat Georgia, but we hated to lose to SCAR !!

Today, we really want to beat FSU, but we still hate to lose to SCAR !!

We'll always hate to lose to SCAR even when beating them isn't that big of a deal.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If their fans were not ignorant, delusional morons

Apr 17, 2017, 12:46 PM

There would be no rivalry. There is simply no comparison between the programs.

They got us 5 years in a row in football. They were

Apr 17, 2017, 5:16 PM

Beating us in baseball and basketball. It wasn't that long ago. I sure remember it. I'm not in a hurry to say it's broke.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

I would love to see a UGA & AU rotating schedule.

Apr 18, 2017, 8:17 AM

On the front end of the year. Home and home series. I'm actually kind of a Georgia fan and enjoy watching them play. Auburn. I hate them

Re: Plyler's Blog: Rivalry***

Apr 18, 2017, 1:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic