Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Attendance: The "BB offensive strategy is boring" argument
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 865

Attendance: The "BB offensive strategy is boring" argument

Mar 3, 2015, 3:44 PM

is ludicrous. Case in point: USuC has put multiple times in a midweek game 18,000 people in the stands to watch wimmens basketball. This is up from their campaign to try and reach 5,000 just last year. Winning cures all. Winning puts butts in the seats. If we win, stands will be full. I wish we'd all support the team rain or shine (and there will always be a percentage of the fanbase that will), but to fill the stadium takes winning.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Attendance: The "BB offensive strategy is boring" argument

Mar 3, 2015, 3:46 PM

The 2010-2011 team did just fine filling the stands under Brownell because they were winning.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

2010-2011 won one less game than 2013-2014

Mar 3, 2015, 3:52 PM

And they won one less game in conference, too.

The real difference is that the teams the two previous years weren't very good, which was enough to distract our fans. Unfortunately, we don't have the basketball tradition to sustain big crowds for long if the most recent seasons haven't been very good.

Last year's team was pretty good, but they just didn't have enough big wins to get them into the tournament. They also lost their best player. I think if this year's team had McDaniel, the crowds would've been larger. We also would've had more people if we'd been picked for the NCAAT last year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2010-2011 won one less game than 2013-2014

Mar 3, 2015, 3:55 PM

IMO Clemson Basketball also has a very very fickle fan base.... Losing the two early games to Gwebb and Winthrop set the tone for the rest of the eyar and some people stopped caring then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yup***

Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has the team not been winning the last two years?

Mar 3, 2015, 3:49 PM

Heck, we had one of the most exciting players in the country last year with a team that should've made the tournament, and it was still a struggle. Looking at years past when the place has been full and loud, there's only about a couple of wins difference. So are people only going to show up if the team's 15-0 heading into league play? Do they have to finish with 24 wins the season before for people to come the next year?

This is a very valid point, but the USuC wimmen were winning

Mar 3, 2015, 4:22 PM

last year also. It took being the number 1 team in the land to fill the stands. Now, do I think we have to win 27 or more games in a year to be able to fill the stands? No, but a consistent 20+ win team that goes to the tourney seemed to have done the trick during OPs tenure. I personally think it was the NCAA tournament games, the 20+ win seasons, and the PERCEPTION that the team was good that filled the stands not the full-court press defense with a half court offense that would make BB's teams look like Duke in their execution.

Winning = NCAA Tournament Bid

Mar 3, 2015, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Has the team not been winning the last two years? ]

And no we didn't deserve a bid last year. If you look back over the history of Clemson basketball, if we have a 2-3 year run of NCAA tourney bids, it's one of the toughest places to play. If we are making annual NIT runs, it's not.

That's how it is and how it's always been. Facilities, style of play, silly MC's, promotions, etc. aren't going to change that. We need to have a team with a consistent run of NCAA tourney bids to bump the interest meter.

Re: Winning = NCAA Tournament Bid

Mar 3, 2015, 4:44 PM

Hey... I'm all for some frank and open discussion.

But cmon, please leave j-dew out of this.

Re: Winning = NCAA Tournament Bid

Mar 3, 2015, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Winning = NCAA Tournament Bid ]

Hey... I'm all for some frank and open discussion.

But cmon, please leave j-dew out of this.

Plus - BB's "offensive strategy" would be much different

Mar 3, 2015, 3:51 PM

if he had better players, more players that could handle the ball, shoot, and score.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

agree wholeheartedly. I'm amazed sometimes what these

Mar 3, 2015, 4:23 PM

guys are able to do with their inability to put it through the hoop.

i think that goes back to the style of play........

Mar 3, 2015, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Plus - BB's "offensive strategy" would be much different ]

for the most part the "AAU/fast break/up tempo" is what is appealing to hs bball players (yes, there are exceptions to that rule).

OP knew he couldn't recruit like duke and UNC at clemson so he go great ATHLETES and made the best out of their bball abilities...........so when teams "out talented" us he could level the playing field with our speed/length/agility.

I'm not saying brownell's needs to go or that he's not a good coach, but his style needs talent more than anything and he hasn't brought in the talent (the exception being mcdaniel, who i don't think was very highly recruited......may be wrong though)

OP leveled the playing field with his up tempo style to make up for the lack of bball talent that can't be lured to clemson, just like GT or Navy does in football.

I think you nailed it, except I think Clemson can get

Mar 3, 2015, 5:41 PM

better players, we just haven't traditionally been committed enough to the basketball program. We may never have 7 McDonald's AA's at one time like Dook or UNC, but we can and should expect to recruit better than we have in a long, long time, maybe ever.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Attendance: The "BB offensive strategy is boring" argument

Mar 3, 2015, 3:56 PM

Men's BB attendance has actually been declining across the NCAA the past eight years. It has much more to do with facilities, start times, and money than tempo.

Also, Clemson finished ahead of Depaul in attendance last year...so it's not OPP.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson also has a much, much better team than DePaul

Mar 3, 2015, 4:00 PM

And DePaul doesn't play anywhere close to their campus. In fact, where they play is about 20 miles away in heavy traffic. It takes close to an hour to get there even by public transportation.

Replies: 15
| visibility 865
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic