Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Please don't shoot the messenger.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Please don't shoot the messenger.

May 26, 2020, 8:52 AM

I would like to hear what Clemson fans are thinking about this. I'm not looking to be a drive by poster. I hope I've gained enough credibility on this board for y'all to understand I like serious discussions, not flame-throwing rants, on this board. Remember:
1. I'm an FSU fan.
2. I first came to this baord way back when Clemson was looking for a coach and hired Tommy Bowden.
3. Clemson is my second favorite team.
4. I love Dabo - they way he coaches, the way he built this program, and most importantly, his personal integrity and Christian faith.

Now to my question/concern.

Dabo has said (in the article linked below this quote):

"But as far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that's where you lose me. I’ll go do something else, because there's enough entitlement in this world as it is.

"I've always said I'm against the professionalization of college athletics and the devaluing of education. That's what I've always said. If we professionalize college, we might as well coach the pros," he continued.

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/football/dabo-swinney-vs-ncaa-nil-congress

I know that quote is several years old. But, I do know that Dabo has spoken out against the NIL decision about to be implemented by the NCAA.

Two questions:

1. Is there concern among Clemson fans that Dabo might actually leave Clemson and head to the NFL due to the implementation of the NIL rule?

2. Is there concern that Jacksonville is already well into the "Tank for Trevor AND Dabo" this year. Sure looks like the Jags are setting themselves to go for the #1 draft position. Would that uber-rich owner also be laying the groundwork to bring Dabo along with him?

Once again, I'm not saying I think it will happen. I'm certainly not saying I want it to happen. Just wondering what fans much closer to the situation than I am are thinking about even the possibility of it happening?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m not worried about it, mostly because my feelings align

May 26, 2020, 8:57 AM

with Dabo’s. I’ll probably start tuning out college sports along the same time Dabo would move on.

For the record, I don’t think he’ll leave. At least not until his sons are done at Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Please don't shoot the messenger.

May 26, 2020, 9:01 AM

Zero concern

May 26, 2020, 9:01 AM

First, you are asking fans to speak for a coach and although some claim to know all none of us do.

Second, paying players and allowing players to make money off of NIL is very different.

Do I think Dabo would be happy about rules that could potentially divide the locker room and create young men who value money more than faith, brotherhood, and humility...absolutely not.

Do I think he will turn his back on turning young men into leaders on and off the field... again no.

Everything Dabo says about his team, culture, and players is truly what he believes. The part of playing players Dabo fears is turning a system created to educate and teach young adults into a business. NIL is not paying players and the NFL is already a business, why would that be the answer?

null

i think we won't know until we see how complicated this all

May 26, 2020, 9:15 AM

ends up being. I don't think he knows. If it becomes another task that he has do and it takes away from the game/team then yes it will inch him closer to doing something else.If he's having to balance some kids commercial shoot against practice schedules then he'll be on the 50/50 bus. You gotta think, DAbo has already been here for over 10 years. I don't think he'll jump to another job in coaching but i could see him going to another job in tv or the like kinda like what Mack Brown did. Sometimes you just need a break from the pressure and hustle and bustle.

I'd say Dabo is probably here for another 6/7 seasons (barring some catastrophe) and he'll be done. So have fun while you can. I think after the next phase of Renovations to the stadium he'll coach in it for a couple after and then leave, do tv for about 5/6 years then may coach again but probably will just do something else. I don't think he'll pull a bobby bowden and coach for 40 years at one school. I think alot of our fans think b/c he's young that he'll just be here forever but i don't think thats his personality. He'll be looking to influence someone else in a different spectrum.

IF, If they (TL & DW) go to JAX, then I will pull for them especially since..

May 26, 2020, 9:51 AM

I’m located less than 2 hrs away from there.

Oh, I don’t like paying a college player especially since it would benefit the star players mostly, cause division within the team, create big heads, probably involve agents, etc.

Simply give players a higher stipend to live on so they don’t have to cheat.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post - HATE that you are a semihole - you ACT much

May 26, 2020, 9:50 AM

more like a Clemson Man.

Although fsu fans have gotten much better in the last 10 years . . . . lol . . . . funny how that happens.

1. I know Dabo is passionate and tries to speak openly & honestly. I feel this is really the way he felt when he said these things.

He has also said he was made by God to be a football coach. To teach & mold young men into becoming great husbands, fathers, members of their community.

He will still be able to do this - regardless of the circumstances & environment - as long as he can get face to face & look these kids in their eyes and they SEE he loves them. Money doesn't take away that basic human desire - to be loved & respected.

At 21 to 23 years old and beyond, there isn't the same opportunity to impact a young person's life - Dabo has said that himself.

2. I disagree with El Tigre 1 - when he said Dabo will be here another 6 to 7 years . . . . he will be here as long as we allow him to do what is most important - mold young men's lives.

In my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

My only thought about this is.....

May 26, 2020, 10:01 AM

College football players making a LOT of money while still members of a college team is NOT a good thing and will drastically harm the game we all love.

Money is the root of all evil. You’ve all heard that and it is certainly true with respect to amateur sports

The love of money is the root of all evil.

May 26, 2020, 11:49 AM

I know what you mean though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The love of money is the root of all evil.

May 27, 2020, 6:16 PM

Correct Judge ..... it is almost never quoted correctly!

However long Dabo coaches is up to him but

May 26, 2020, 10:04 AM

I don't see him going to the NFL regardless of the situation. From everything I've read, Dabo wants more than anything to to mold boys into men and that is decidedly NOT in the job description of the NFL - it is all about the business of making money.

Coaching has never been about the money for Dabo (which he has plenty of by the way), so if Dabo decided to leave coaching college football (and I don't believe he will) I could see Dabo coaching High School football before going to the NFL. Just my two cents...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your tiger pulse says you are a Clemson fan.

May 26, 2020, 10:40 AM

Just come over.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo's future

May 26, 2020, 11:37 AM

bama fans believe he would go to bama, his alma mater, if Saban retired. bama fans are delusional.

IMO, from outside, he might eventually get bored and try the NFL but I can't see any other reason for him to leave. And IMO that would be an extremely unlikely occurance.

More $$$$$$$$ would not be a motivator, the only way that would work would be for some owner to offer him maybe 25% ownership which ain't likely to happen.

Dabo now has the best of everything: untouchable position in a quality school with as much budget as he needs, top recruiting and easy schedule. Why would he ever leave for the uncertainty of the NFL where he wouldn't have a talent advantage and would face strong schedule every year?

Re: Dabo's future

May 26, 2020, 11:50 AM

If you had stopped at 'talent advantage', that might have been your best (only) post ever. But...your motives always shine. That's ok...soon you'll seldom, if ever, return to these parts.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo's future

May 26, 2020, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Dabo's future ]

So close and yet so far....

Schedules

May 26, 2020, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Dabo's future ]

Before it's all said and done, Clemson typically ends up playing harder schedules than LSU and typically wins more games.

Schedules - look what I found

May 26, 2020, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Dabo's future ]

2019-20:
Clemson #3 SOS, 1 loss, ranked #2
LSU # 2 SOS, 0 losses, National Champion

2018-19:
Clemson #2 SOS, 0 losses, National Champion
LSU #4 SOS, 3 losses, ranked #6

2017-18:
Clemson #4 SOS, 2 losses, ranked #4
LSU #27 SOS, 4 losses, ranked #18

2016-17:
Clemson #3 SOS, 1 loss, National Champion
LSU #4 SOS, 4 losses, ranked 13th

2015-16:
Clemson #4 SOS, 1 loss, ranked #2
LSU #5 SOS, 3 losses, ranked #16

2014-15:
Clemson #29 SOS, 3 losses, ranked #15
LSU #7 SOS, 5 losses, UNRANKED

Looks like LSU played a harder schedule in only 2 of 6 playoff era seasons, yet you still had 11 more losses, 20 less wins, and finished ranked higher than us only once. What were you saying about easy schedules?

Re: Schedules - look what I found

May 26, 2020, 5:37 PM

Leave out The Playoffs and see where you stand.

Is nice to get that easy road in.

In one year LSU was #27, otherwise LSU was no worse than #7 when not making the playoffs.

In the only year posted on that list that Clemson didn't make the Playoffs the rank was #29.

Clemson gets almost a bye into The Playoffs in comparison to LSU's Regular Season schedule.

Look at next season's schedules, what is the level of difficulty to get to the Playoffs?

Milli Vanilli AKA LSU has sniffed their last playoff for the

May 26, 2020, 6:54 PM

foreseeable future. Burrow and Brady were your team.

You don't seem to understand

May 27, 2020, 2:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Schedules - look what I found ]

We played harder schedules and won more games. When we played good teams, we won most of them. When you played good teams, you lost most of them.

2019 was an anomaly schedule-wise, and Clemson has beaten many good teams over the years on the way to the playoffs.

And regardless, when we make the playoffs we typically do well. When you play teams of that caliber and less, you don't do well. Plus, LSU has many losses over the years to subpar teams.

What I said stands - overall, Clemson played harder schedules and won A LOT more games. Clemson has not played easy schedules while becoming the elite team we are. Only one time in the last 5 years have we not advanced to the national championship game. You played easier schedules and lost more games, including many losses to subpar teams. You are not elite.

What exactly are you not getting here?

Re: Schedules - look what I found

May 26, 2020, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Schedules - look what I found ]

Leave out The Playoffs and see where you stand.

Is nice to get that easy road in.

In one year LSU was #27, otherwise LSU was no worse than #7 when not making the playoffs.

In the only year posted on that list that Clemson didn't make the Playoffs the rank was #29.

Clemson gets almost a bye into The Playoffs in comparison to LSU's Regular Season schedule.

Look at next season's schedules, what is the level of difficulty to get to the Playoffs?

Never Ever Never

May 27, 2020, 6:39 PM

Say Clemson has an easier schedule when you pay Troy $985,000 and lose on Homecoming. Less than 3 years ago.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400933877

Funny thing is they weren't good enough to beat

May 27, 2020, 8:08 PM

a slew of mediocre teams and teams like Troy, then he complains because LSU didn't get to count the playoffs. Well, duh, you didn't make the playoffs because you weren't good enough to beat the mediocre or good teams on the schedule. I count one CFP team on their schedule, and they're 1-7 vs them in the last 8 games. So who are all these other great teams they've lost to? I read on another site that half their losses in the playoff years have been to unranked teams. That's unreal! So why is this LSU clown talking about schedules?? We played more great teams AND beat better teams. This LSWho clown has no leg to stand on.

May 26, 2020, 11:39 AM

Not concerned one bit about Dabo leaving for the NFL.

Very fair question. I have had the same one as well.

May 26, 2020, 11:47 AM

I took Dabo's comments to mean that he wouldn't want to coach if college players were paid by the university. While I'm sure he isn't a huge fan of them getting paid for use of their name/likeness, I don't view it as a deal breaker for him.

I believe he's very happy at Clemson. I don't see the NFL appealing to him. He seems to thrive on being able to develop players both on and off the field, and I think he knows that would be very difficult to do on the professional level - at least consistently. I think Dabo likes recruiting, family interaction, and all of the other things you do in college football that you don't do on the pro level.

I could see Dabo deciding that college football has changed too much, and/or is no longer challenging to him the same way it used to be. In that scenario, he could choose to retire or spend his time doing public speaking. I wouldn't rule out him being on TV as a color commentator or studio analyst either.

He would be successful at any of those ventures, but I still believe that his heart is in being a college football coach and I don't see that changing anytime soon - even if players are paid in a more significant fashion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

100% no to both***

May 26, 2020, 11:58 AM

Re: 100% no to both***

May 26, 2020, 12:10 PM

I say absolutely no to paying college players in any manner. That’s the pro game and I turned pro sports off years ago. The college game is about to open up a can of corruption like never seen.

May 26, 2020, 12:22 PM

Maybe find something more recent...he doesn’t have a problem with the NIL rule.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/4104846002

May 26, 2020, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the link.

I agree with Dabo. The devil is in the details.

I'm not as optimistic as he is that the NCAA will manage to figure out a way to make this model work "within the collegiate framework."

May 26, 2020, 1:13 PM

Yeah let’s see , the NCAA is the governing body for college athletics. Oh I feel better now. There’s no way government could ever screw anything up.

May 26, 2020, 1:46 PM

My opinion is the NCAA could screw up a one float parade.

How bout I toss a spear with a bunch of feathers hanging off

May 26, 2020, 1:48 PM

of it in your general direction?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2020, 1:49 PM

Thanks to all those who replied, or will reply in the future.

I hate to see the NCAA screw up college football any more than they already have. I can see the NIL being the tip of the iceberg that destroys collegiate sports.

Dabo may leave college football but it won’t be to go to the NFL. ***

May 26, 2020, 1:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

May 26, 2020, 2:15 PM

In newer statements Dabo has said that he could accept some type of "trusts" for players if they were tied to graduation. Academic achievement has always been high on his list.

It's not about money for Dabo. If and when he ever leaves it will be for a reason not related to paycheck. ( Like a fan base that complains about "bad wins".)

May 26, 2020, 2:39 PM

In newer statements Dabo has said that he could accept some type of "trusts" for players if they were tied to graduation. Academic achievement has always been high on his list.

It's not about money for Dabo. If and when he ever leaves it will be for a reason not related to paycheck. ( Like a fan base that complains about "bad wins".)

This - trusts.

Personally, I feel like that is probably the way to go to ensure the fairest option. Allow players to also make money off of their name/likeness and add it to their trust.

Player compensation is going to happen in some form or fashion unless the NFL crsstes

May 26, 2020, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Please don't shoot the messenger. ]

This - trusts. Probably the lesser of evils and ensures players like OLINE are fairly compensated since they aren't typically high profile names. Add any extra made off of name and likeness to trust.

Player compensation is inevitable unless NFL creates a minor league or something that would offer similar competition to get NFL ready.

Can of worms for sure that is about to be opened. Sort of like Student Loan Forgiveness (like it or not, forgiveness is coming in some form or fashion for a messed up system).

Also, Dabo to the NFL is probably not likely since as other's mentioned...his influence on young men at the college level is purpose driven and that is gonna be his legacy...competing for championships and molding student athletes for life beyond the playing field

I have to laugh anytime $$$ is mentioned as a possible motivator...no. These coaches make plenty to take care of multiple generations in their family at the bigger programs

Maybe better assets to work with (like moving up from a smaller school with limited growth/budget) and wanting to prove something for their legacy but $$$ shouldn't be as much of a motivator anymore with salaries the way they are nowadays

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic