Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
IF BEST IS THE STANDARD!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

IF BEST IS THE STANDARD!

Nov 25, 2018, 10:26 PM

You'll never hear me complain about a win. However, Dabo created the culture that he now complains about. He created a culture at Clemson where "Best Is The Standard", and that culture has resonated well with the fans. Before Coach Swinney, many fans were satisfied with an 8 win season because we were just happy to get a win. We would settle for any bowl game that would have us. Long gone are the days of Tommy Bowden and his predecessors. Now days, if giving 110% isn't the best in the nation, then your 110% is simply not enough.

Saturday's defensive performance or lack thereof was not within maintaining the standard at Clemson. The defensive front seven seems to fair well, but our secondary has vulnerabilities that need to be addressed and corrected. This isn't something that just happened during one game that just so happens to be against our in state rival. It has happened during every game this season. Don't let the score margin of victory fool you. Teams have been able to march up and down the field against Clemson because our secondary left several wide receivers on an island all by themselves. The only reason why they don't score is because of Clemson's red zone defense. There's not much room to run extended routes.

What I think is happening to cause this is the lack of communication between the sidelines and our defensive unit on the field. Any team that plays somewhat of a tempo or waits until the last second to snap the ball is gaining success. So, we maybe need to change the way we get the signals out to our players in a more timely manner. Also, I believe that maybe a few of our secondary players are peeking into the backfield and are getting beat by their coverage assignment. They need to focus strictly on their man and nothing more. To defeat the tempo of other team's offensive units we must play assignment football. The only thing that changes is the level of pressure our defense brings using the front seven. Do our line backers fall back into coverage, or do they cover the run? Those things can be simplified through assignment football.

In short, we did win the game. Yes, to many who understand the game of college football it does feel like a loss. Not because we didn't blow out the Gamecocks, but because we understand the challenges that await us in the post season. If there's been an issue all season long with pass coverage and we are just now addressing it then it doesn't set the stage for a national championship trophy. Real football analyst understand this. Those are basic fundamentals in defense and those issues should be addressed and corrected by the end of game three. It is too late to begin fixing basic fundamental issues at this point in the season. If we win against a balanced team like Notre Dame or Alabama it will be due to the giant horseshoe up our butts.

Don't fret though, because should we survive Pittsburgh, then we have a 28 day training period to address those issues. First and foremost we have to admit that they exist before we can take any action. Those issues do exist, and it's as if the coaches overlook it or fail to address it in the media. This is the reason for the hysteria right now, and for the sake of the Seniors who decided to return for another season, I hope we can mitigate those vulnerabilities in our defensive secondary.

GO TIGERS! BEST IS THE STANDARD!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

If only “Best” is standard then we will often fall short.

Nov 25, 2018, 10:54 PM

We can’t even agree on what “ Best” even means.

We’re 12-0 ... “Best” record in the land (tied of course) ... but, with winning 12 games while losing none there is now the criticism that simply winning is not enough ... it’s a matter of how you win.

We didn’t win our last game in a dominating enough fashion.

We won ... convincingly ... but obviously we weren’t the “Best” we could be.

We’re 12-0, but we fell short of the standard.

But, what is “Best”?

Is “Best” defined by Alabama?

If so, is “Best” giving up 31 to lowly Arkansas. Is “Best” being tied with The Citadel at the half?

If “Best is Standard” and Alabama is the standard, how are we not meeting that standard when we’re 12-0 and have played teams about the same as they have recently?

Why would we be held to a higher standard than Alabama?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If only “Best” is standard then we will often fall short.

Nov 25, 2018, 11:00 PM

Our teams best that they can do is the standard.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IF BEST IS THE STANDARD!

Nov 25, 2018, 11:12 PM

Thanks Jimmy Greenbeens but with all due respect I don't think our all-everything D Coordinator needs any pointers.

Missteps happen over a long season like this, we'll be just fine. This game was the Superbowl for the Coots...For us its just a stepping stone. They played their A game we played our C game and we still won.

Move on people, we got bigger fish to fry now

Nov 25, 2018, 11:17 PM

I thought the secondary played great against NC State and Syracuse. Certainly didn’t march up and down the field on us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they played a great game against NC state and a great 2nd

Nov 26, 2018, 12:01 AM

Half against Syracuse. they moved the ball well in the 1st half

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please LEARN about Clemson

Nov 25, 2018, 11:26 PM

"Best is the Standard" is not a statement about perfection or domination.

The statement is about effort and preparation. It's for school, life, your job and NOT just the game of football.

As for your football comments, give me a break. Clemson has a top 10 defense in yards allowed. Teams aren't marching up and down the field.

Clemson had a single player get exposed several times against USCjr which caused busted plays. It was due to technique and playing out of his zone. USCjr brought some gimmicks and exploited a weakness. I am glad they did because the coaches in the playoffs will try to do the same, but at least we know what to address. Texas A&M and Duke attacked the slot well, but not to this extent.

If you didn't see the second half adjustment, I can't help you. I find it hilarious you can empathize with the "feels like a loss" crowd. Best not go to Charlotte since Pitt will probably get a first down and maybe even score; I'd hate for you to waste your money on another "loss feeling"

Re: Please LEARN about Clemson

Nov 25, 2018, 11:55 PM

Very well said (elementsofWay). Some people don't understand what "Best is the standard" means, and others think they know football when they don't. Everybody and every team and every coach can have an off day. We won! Go Tigers!

My family's lineage goes back to the Class of 1919

Nov 27, 2018, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Please LEARN about Clemson ]

Not sure there's too much more I need to learn about Clemson. Considering that I come from a family of 7 generations that have graduated from there.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Nov 26, 2018, 12:02 AM

You've made several good points. I have no doubt that Dabo and all coaches are fully aware of the areas in which they are falling short. I'm sure they have the critiquing part of things covered, and also a strategic plan to address weaknesses.

Not for a minute do I think that they haven't been working hard all along to get better in those areas, though it won't necessarily be evident to us just looking on from the outside. I would bet that the coaches are their own biggest critic, and even if we had won 49-21 last night, they would still be challenging the players to remain committed to doing better.

We all know that despite their best effort, at times, the players and coaches are going to fall short of the standard they have embraced. Bad days are going to happen. We all have them. As fans, our team's bad days should be easier to "swallow" if we trust that it wasn't caused by a lack of commitment to standards they have set for themselves.

That being said, let's hope that we can improve in areas of weakness, and that our strengths can offset some of the negative effects of those weaknesses.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Nov 27, 2018, 4:18 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrSqBDWXANa6LKTlwod___tmc_yz5Q8Ez7pjeml9nnSwKiNwu1cYqOuUA

every team has an "off night". I am hoping that this was our

Nov 27, 2018, 4:36 PM

off night. Tiger fans just don't want a repeat of last season when we knew we had deficiencies in the passing game that were eventually exposed when playing one of the nation's best(THE BEST).
If the best is the standard and "the best is yet to come", I think that we are being taught that we should expect more. If the offense was not playing lights out, then we would/could have been exposed. That can't happen in the playoffs. Hopefully this was an anomaly and it will be fixed in time. I really want another Natty trophy in Clemson this January! Go Tigers!!!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic