Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Playoff Picture
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Playoff Picture

Oct 14, 2017, 12:52 AM

I know I'm thinking far ahead...But given we win out and win the ACC, the only reason I see us getting left out is if:

-SEC champ is undefeated (Bama or UGA) AND
-undefeated PSU/Wisconsin or 1-loss OSU wins BIG10 AND
-Undefeated Washington or Wash St wins out AND
-TCU wins out

The chances of every other power 5 conference champ being undefeated is very unlikely...as we've unfortunately seen tonight, I have a feeling things are gonna get even more weird.

Let's break it down by other conferences:

SEC: Can't see the runner-up beating us out so it'll likely be one team, the champion.
Big10: Undefeated PSU or Wisconsin would be a lock...1 loss OSU conf. champion might beat us out due to their loss to OU being "better" than our Syracuse loss. But I can only see there being 1 team from this conference.
PAC12: Washington is the only legit shot unless Washington St wins out (they're struggling right now...plus would need to be Washington)
BIG10: TCU wins out and goes undefeated...Oklahoma's loss was worse than ours. A 1-loss OK State conf champ might make things interesting since their loss to TCU was when TCU was #16 and they were favored by less than we were against Syracuse.

Am I missing anything? I might've missed something since I'm drained while writing this but still not ready for bed after tonight....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what if someone like Penn State ends with only 1

Oct 14, 2017, 12:54 AM

Close to someone like Michigan?

If we win out, we will be in. I'm 100% confident in that!***

Oct 14, 2017, 12:54 AM

Re: Playoff Picture

Oct 14, 2017, 12:58 AM

If Georgia and bama play a close game in the sec championship i can already see them trying to get both them in. Washington st. Might lose tonight, they're playing like crap also. Other than that I have no idea. Just wish we would've showed up so we wouldn't have to wonder about it

If UGA beats AUB and loses to Bama close

Oct 14, 2017, 2:12 AM

a 1 loss UGA should and will get in ahead of Clemson ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we win out, we will be in, but

Oct 14, 2017, 1:37 AM

as much as I hate to say it, we will not win out. We are going to have a very difficult time beating NC State, Florida State, Georgia Tech and South Carolina. We are a team with an injured QB, no field goal kicker and a running back star with a hammy. It is going to be real tough.

What I am most stunned about, however, is the vitriol I am seeing from other people on this board. There is seething anger tonight. I personally think Bryant did look well enough to start the game based on how he looked our first drive. I understand he should have come out sooner and I understand people being upset that Hunter Johnson didn't get in. But I just believe we have a great staff and they have won something like 39 of the last 41 games against very tough opponents. When Trevor Lawrence or Hunter Johnson is in their second year as a starter, we will likely make a serious run back to the playoffs.

Oct 14, 2017, 2:00 AM

we aren't necessarily going to get in ahead of other 1-loss conference champs. We also need our good wins to remain better than the other contenders' wins. For example, if it's between us and Oklahoma for #4, and they have wins over #3 Ohio St and a top 10 TCU and top 20 Okla St, and we have 3-4 top 25 wins but none in the top 10, then we aren't getting in.

We still have a good shot if we win out, but the bigger

Oct 14, 2017, 2:03 AM

problem now is that this no longer looks like a team that is capable of winning 6 in a row against teams like FSU, NC State, and Miami/VT. It's going to take a serious regrouping much like we saw last year after the Pitt loss.

Oct 14, 2017, 2:07 AM

Our loss is as bad as Oklahoma’s. Their win over OSU will likely hold up as better than any of ours and they have more remaining shots at quality wins. We won’t make it in over one-loss Oklahoma.

At this point, though, it’s probably a moot discussion. Without major improvements in all 3 phases we’re looking at at least two more losses.

at least***

Oct 14, 2017, 2:12 AM

Oct 14, 2017, 2:09 AM

There has never been 4 undefeated teams at the end of a season in the modern era. Rarely have there been 2 undefeated teams. There won’t be this year either. If we win out, we will have 5 top 25 wins (counting NC St + ACC Champ game). We WILL make the playoffs with that record. GUARANTEED.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic