Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Crushing the opponent's spirit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Crushing the opponent's spirit

Feb 7, 2019, 7:04 AM

As remarkable as the Tiger's offense was, the timing of their scores had to deflate the opposition. In ONLY the last five minutes before halftime, Clemson scored 118 points...and that includes three games ('aTm, 'Cuse, BC) where they didn't score. In the ACCCG, CFP Semi, and the CFP Championship, the Tigers scored 14, 14, and 10.

That 5-minute stretch of every game is when Clemson delivers the message of 'hopelessness'!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Crushing the opponent's spirit

Feb 7, 2019, 8:48 AM

great point. 14 points scored at the end of the 2nd is so much more demoralizing than 14 points scored at the start of the 3rd. It alters the mindset of the players, and makes half-time adjustments for the coaches more difficult. It can be done, Dabo has done it, bit it's not easy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Playing your depth

Feb 7, 2019, 9:17 AM

I think that illustrates that playing your depth pays off when the opponents are getting tired. Using as many wide receivers as we do they are still fresh and the DBs they are facing are getting tired.

I would like to see how many 3 and outs our defense gets and how many sacks happen in that time frame also. I think that would show how the opposing OL is also getting tired against our rotation of linemen and line backers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Crushing the opponent's spirit

Feb 7, 2019, 9:37 AM

Add to that deferring to start the game in many of those games.

Teams are giving up points to end the half and knowing they have to play defense before they get a chance to try to get the points back.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Further, to your point.

Feb 7, 2019, 10:01 AM

First...I made a mistake. The Tigers scored 132 points in the last five minutes of the 1st half...I missed the Tech game.

Now, here's another amazing number. The Tigers gave up a total of 3 points in the first five minutes of the second half. 3...against aTm. That's it! The Tigers scored 55 points in the first five minutes.

So, in a ten minute span either side of halftime, the Tigers outscored their opponents 187/20. Yep, the opposition actually scored in the last five minutes of the 1st half on three occasions...Tech, 'Cuse...and the Yardbirds.

Domination!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic