Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Player development - Regrading
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Player development - Regrading

Dec 1, 2014, 10:13 PM

I've been a big Brad Brownell supporter, but honestly, the only way he gets another year after this train wreck of a start is if D-Rad doesn't want to break in a new coach in Greenville. Clemson is bad right now, and I'm talking Shyatt bad, and Brad has no one to blame but himself at this point. Clemson is a developmental program, but there hasn't been enough development throughout the roster. Yes, losing KJ really hurt (obviously) but this team should not be this bad. I hope it gets better, but I don't see enough skill or leadership on the team right now to do more than hope. God help us in the ACC because Rutgers would be picked dead last with a bullet and we just lost to them at home.

Starters:

Rod Hall - 3* - 3*

Rod Hall is a scrappy point guard that isn't really a good passer, isn't really a good finisher, and isn't really a good shooter. He's ok on the defensive end, but not spectacular. This is pretty much what Rod Hall was coming out of high school, and that's pretty much what he is now. He hasn't added a reliable outside shot he is willing to pull the trigger on, he turns the ball over, and doesn't provide the leadership this team needs. He's a nice piece, but would be a good option off the bench for an NCAA tournament team.

DeMarcus Harrison -4* -3*

DeMarcus has 4* ability. DaMarcus has 2* heart and focus. When DaMarcus is dialed in, he his a very good player. When DaMarcus isn't dialed in, he isn't even average. He came in with the reputation as a kid who could put up up 20 one night and 2 the next night. That's pretty much what he is right now. He would be an interesting piece off a NCAA tournament team bench, but is too unreliable to be a starter.

Donte Grantham - 4* -4*

Donte Grantham is a 4* player, but he isn't a starter just yet. The fact that he is probably Clemson's second best player, and may be our most skilled offensive player is an indictment of the roster. He's good but not great right now. He would be ideal coming off the bench for 20 minutes a game this year. Currently he would be a nice piece off the bench for an NCAA, and has the potential to be a starting caliber player down the line.

Jarron Blossomgame 3* -3*

Jarron came into Clemson a a physical freak that lacked basketball skills. Jarron is currently a physical freak who lacks basketball skills. Simply put, Blossomgame can't shoot. He can get to any spot on the court he wants, but he can't throw the ball into the ocean. He's a menace on the glass, but is just a likely to brick a 2 footer as he is to put it in the basket. Blossomgame has the ability to be a 4* player, but he doesn't have an offensive game and gets lost on defense way to often. He would be a great energy player off the bench for an NCAA team.

Landry Nnoko -3* - 4*

Landry has made huge strides at Clemson, but his offense is still light years behind his defense. Landry should be a player that patrols the post on defense, vacuums up rebounds, and scores on the offensive glass. Clemson needs him to be a post up offensive player, and he just doesn't have the skill. He's pretty much a turnover machine, and panics when he is double teamed. Landry could be a starter for an NCAA team in the right role, but he is not, and probably will never be, a primary post option on a good team.

Bench

Jordan Roper -3* - 2*

Jordan Roper is an undersized shooting guard who can't/won't shoot. He's not a point guard, and Clemson desperately needs him to be a point guard. He's not even a gunner off the bench who can get hot and carry the second unit, and Clemson desperately needs him to be that. He gets abused on the defensive end because he is not an elite athlete and is not a smart player. At this point, Jordan would be a possible starter on a Big South team, but would most likely be coming off the bench. Sadly, Clemson plays in the ACC.

Josh Smith -3* -2*

Josh Smith is a big kid who lacks any semblance of basketball skill. That's what he was coming in, and that's what he is right now. You can see what the coaches saw in terms of raw talent. He's a big kid who moves well for his size, and he plays hard. Josh is big, but is a marginal athlete with no skill. He would probably come off the bench in the Big South, and he still wouldn't be more than a guy who scores garbage baskets in that league.

Sidy Djitte - 3* -2*

Sidy is a solid athlete who doesn't know how to play basketball. Out of everyone on the bench, he still has the chance to improve his game and his ranking, but right now he's not a good basketball player. He is an excellent athlete for his size, but you can tell that the game does not come naturally or easily for him. Right now he might be a decent option off the bench for a Big South team, but not an ACC team.

Austin Ajukwa -3* -2*

Austin is another kid who still has the ability to put it together, but Clemson needed a big jump from Austin this year, and it simply hasn't happened. He just looks lost on the court, and especially on the defensive side. It's really hard for Brad to put him on the court, because mentally, he just doesn't get it yet. He has physical ability, confidence, and a decent stroke, but he doesn't know how to play the game. Austin miiiight be a starter in the Big South, but would probably be a better option off the bench for a decent Big South team.

Patrick Rooks -3* - 2*

Patrick Rooks can shoot the ball from the outside. Patrick Rooks can't defend....anyone...at all...maybe not even inanimate objects. I'm not sure he has enough basketball savvy or athleticism to make up for his deficiencies on the defensive end. He still has time, but he is probably nothing more than a spark off the bench for his career (granted, this might be a little harsh, but I just don't see it). He has one + skill and several minus skills. He would make a nice bench player in the Big South right now, but could turn into a solid starter (in the Big South) later in his career.

Gabe Devoe - 3* - N/A

Gabe Devoe dominated small school North Carolina basketball. Gabe Devoe is no longer playing small school North Carolina basketball. From the little I've seen, he struggles with the idea of not being the center of the gameplan on offense, and is disinterested in defense. He has talent, but it's super raw in terms of basketball understanding. Put Gabe in a pickup game and I bet he dominates, put him in a structured game and he is going to struggle. He really needs a redshirt this year. Right now he might be a bench option in the Big South.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so who should we be recruiting for next yr?***

Dec 1, 2014, 10:18 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Hudson and Legend

Dec 1, 2014, 10:21 PM

but they have to improve when they get here. Hudson will be the PG starter from day 1 (unless the transfer beats him out) and that's probably not going to be good. Legend needs to be more like Landry and less like Siddy. Ideally, Hudson comes off the bench and Legend redshirts. In reality, Hudson starts and Legend has to play major minutes.

Spot on***

Dec 1, 2014, 10:19 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Very good assessment...I'd have Bloss a little higher

Dec 1, 2014, 10:31 PM

graded and think that he may make some noise next year if he works at his game. We just don't have the talent....KJ being here would have masked a lot of these deficiencies. The truth is right now we have a team full of bench players...there is not a single "All-South" or "3rd team All ACC" player on this team.

I'd give Brad another year to see if he can get this thing fully turned around...but that is about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bloss needed to improve his shooting

Dec 1, 2014, 10:34 PM

He hasn't improved it but he just shoots more, mainly because no one else is willing to shoot.

The other parts of his game have improved drastically

Dec 1, 2014, 10:42 PM

offensively. And he's still a good rebounder.

I'm not sure he'll ever be a great 3pt shooter (or even "good"), but I think he can be a terror in the paint and already would be if he could get that short jumper to fall. Despite his stats in the LSU (or Nevada game? I forget) he took over that game late and played with extreme confidence. That's where he's improved. Now if his shot will just make a similar improvement...

He can do everything on offense but score

Dec 1, 2014, 10:46 PM

Unfortunately, scoring is the objective. I agree that he looks like a better player, but he his shot is putrid. He is shooting 7% from behind the arch and 58% from the line. That's just not going to get it done. Clemson needs him to be better and he just doesn't have the skill. Maybe it turns around for him, but the athletes in the ACC are going to make hitting those shots even harder.

I think he can develop into hitting the shot in the paint

Dec 1, 2014, 10:56 PM

but I'm not sure he's going to get much better behind the 3pt line. Still, KJ wasn't a great offensive threat either, but he made himself into one by the time he left for the NBA. No reason to think a similar player like Blossomgame can't do something similar.

I hope you're right

Dec 1, 2014, 10:59 PM

His free throw percentage really bothers me. He is a guy that could live at the line, but he's terrible there. That speaks more to work ethic than ability, which is why I'm discouraged about his ability to improve overall.

last two games he's shot better from the FT line

Dec 1, 2014, 11:04 PM

but we'll have to see if that continues. I agree his % up to this point is pitiful and could negate any improvement in his offensive game as teams will just foul him whenever he gets into the paint.

Agree with the assesment of the players, but...

Dec 1, 2014, 10:36 PM

I seriously doubt Brownell gets fired this year unless we don't win another game. The chemistry of this team is pretty bad and the lack of leadership is killing us late in games. Instead of running away with the game up 7 with 5min left we completely collapse. That's leadership. Brownell talked about this in his postgame conference and I totally agree with him. The problem is that if Hall isn't a leader now as a senior, he's never going to be and that is going to cause this team to implode.

I'm still optimistic based on past seasons that we'll get better as this season progresses but I am very surprised at how far we've regressed without KJ. I knew we would, but I thought it'd show itself in ACC play not against teams like Winthrop. I still think Brownell is our best chance to build a basketball program at Clemson, but if he doesn't get back to at least being on the NCAA bubble, like last year, starting next year he may start feeling a pretty hot seat.

I don't think he gets canned this year

Dec 1, 2014, 10:40 PM

That said, look at our schedule. I see, 2, possibly 3 games where we will be favored the rest of the year, home or on the road. He gets next year in Greenville to figure it out, but I don't think he makes it back to the new Littlejohn unless things drastically improve. He needed to at least be marginal this year, but Clemson isn't even an NIT team at this point.

I think Brownell is as surprised as anyone by this team...

Dec 1, 2014, 10:54 PM

and watching his after game press conference has me worried about the rest of this year. He doesn't look like he has his normal "I'll get this fixed" confidence he normally has in previous year's losses.

He seems really upset with Rod Hall, and I can't blame him. Hall looks like he hates being a leader and wants no part of that role on this team. That's why I'm optimistic about blossomgame, as brownell pointed out, Jaron is trying to be that guy and you can tell from his play that he wants to be the go to guy. But until he starts being consistent with his offense, I'm not sure he can be the leader this team needs this year.

Something is going to give with the next few games I think and we're going to see this team rally or implode.

I hope for a rally

Dec 1, 2014, 10:56 PM

After losing to Winthrop, G. Webb, and Rutgers there is really isn't much left to implode. We're neck deep in ruble right now.

Win the next three and much of the rubble will be rebuilt

Dec 1, 2014, 10:59 PM

;)

Arky is going to straight up murder us

Dec 1, 2014, 11:02 PM

Like an old school Nolan Richardson 120-30 murder.

If so, I doubt there's any way we don't implode from that

Dec 1, 2014, 11:07 PM

unless it forces Brownell to make some sort of huge change out of desperation and it somehow works.

I will be praying you're wrong...

Brad's big problem is that our bench is terrible

Dec 1, 2014, 11:09 PM

Honestly, that's where we should kill Big South teams, and teams like Rutgers. When we go to their bench and they go their bench, it should be game over. When we go to our bench, Big South teams actually have an advantage. He really doesn't have anywhere else to turn unless Roper suddenly remembers how to play basketball.

Was that not the case last year?

Dec 1, 2014, 11:25 PM

KJ avg 17pts a game and no one else was in double figures in scoring. Right now we have four in double figures. How are we judging the quality of our bench?

The color guy in tonight's game had me chuckling at the end of the game because he said "clemson is a talented team, but not a deep team." To me, outside Grantham and Blossomgame's athleticism we are the exact opposite-a talentless team that's pretty deep (of mediocrity).

Re: Agree with the assesment of the players, but...

Dec 2, 2014, 12:52 AM [ in reply to Agree with the assesment of the players, but... ]

Brownell's contract calls for buyouts of $5mm next year and $3.5mm the following year. I don't think CU would be willing to pay that to terminate him, considering the changes coming with the upgraded facilities and the impact they may have on his ability to recruit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

He'll get another year, as we won't transition with the team

Dec 1, 2014, 10:51 PM

Playing in Gville next year,

As much as I want to argue with you, I really can't. The common thread in all of Brad's teams is that they play TIGHT. They are afraid to make mistakes because they get yanked immediately, and they play afraid.

I had hoped this would pass as Brad matured, but at this point, with such a young team, it has only gotten worse. They have no feel or flow, are stiff, and never seem to get the bounces to go their way.

I'm pulling for Coach Brownelll, but am no longer optimistic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Eh. That's awfully pessimistic

Dec 1, 2014, 11:19 PM

Some of those guys are better than you give them credit for, and would start for tournament teams. It's one thing to say they're not playing great right now, but to say they wouldn't start on any tournament team is a little too much.

For instance, last year's team plus Grantham would certainly be a tournament team.

And Roper actually has been the "gunner" off the bench for us at times, and has shown great quickness and ability to finish around the basket when he's had his chance. You must've forgotten some of the dunks he's thrown down. His defensive problems are more about effort than talent, in my opinion.

Anyway, we're obviously not playing very well right now. As you said, Rutgers would be picked last in the ACC, and I believe they lost by double digits to some school called St. Peter's.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a bit of a stretch the other direction.

Dec 2, 2014, 8:40 AM

Sure a few of our guys + Jahlil Okafor and Quinn Cook might be a tournament team, but that would have a whole lot more to do with those 2 guys than the 3 Tigers...

How can you not be pessimistic at this point?

Dec 2, 2014, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Eh. That's awfully pessimistic ]

We wouldn't even be picked to win the Big South at this point. Who off our bench isn't a huge step back in class from our starter? Roper would be the only one, but it's obvious Brad has pretty much thrown the towel in on him because he can't defend. We essentially have 5 somewhat functional basketball players (although Rod Hall is doing his best to knock it down to 4). That's just not going to cut it in the ACC.

Re: How can you not be pessimistic at this point?

Dec 4, 2014, 10:45 AM

Rod Hall is shooting 60% from 3. I realize that he's had some rough turnovers, but to say he hasnt improved is ridiculous.

Jordan Roper is nothing to the team right now. There is absolutely nothing he can contribute at this point. Feels like he misses basically every shot he takes and he's a turnover machine. He has an absolutely senseless turnover every single game. The way to cut that down? Don't play him.

Blossomgame is interesting because he's had 3 straight double doubles. But the dude got carved to pieces on the defensive end last game and it feels like he's shooting about 15% from the field (exaggeration, I know). He can get in to the lane at will, against anyone. But it's like he never finishes. And only shooting around 55% from the line.

What is wrong with Nnoko's hands? That's the key to him being what we need.

Demarcus has been our best offensive player to date. Has shot the ball well (always nice to see a few more go in, but he's done well) and shoots free throws well.

Rooks needs to be in there as much as possible. He's our best shooter, far and away. If he's open, it's going in. And he gives maybe the best effort on the team on the defensive end. He's limited due to the hip, but we need EFFORT at this point. We need defensive desperation, on every possession and I see that him.

I agree

Dec 4, 2014, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Eh. That's awfully pessimistic ]

A lot of the assessments are spot-on, and I can tell he at least watches the games and knows what he is talking about.

That being said, I think it's funny how half of our team "would be coming off the bench on a decent Big South team"

Yeah right. Basketball isn't like football, in recruiting or gameplay

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One problem

Dec 1, 2014, 11:35 PM

I've been a big Brad Brownell supporter, but honestly, the only way he gets another year after this train wreck of a start is if D-Rad doesn't want to break in a new coach in Greenville. Clemson is bad right now, and I'm talking Shyatt bad, and Brad has no one to blame but himself at this point. Clemson is a developmental program, but there hasn't been enough development throughout the roster. Yes, losing KJ really hurt (obviously) but this team should not be this bad. I hope it gets better, but I don't see enough skill or leadership on the team right now to do more than hope. God help us in the ACC because Rutgers would be picked dead last with a bullet and we just lost to them at home.

It isn't about breaking in a new coach. It would be admitting that giving him a $5,000,000 buyout and then firing him one year later was a mistake. That cannot be in the budget so it won't be happening regardless of how bad we are this year. Giving bad contracts get ADs fired quickly - though I would bet D-Rad isn't here within 4 years anyways.

Agree on Player development - Add rebounding and defense***

Dec 2, 2014, 8:01 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why can't we recruit better talent ?

Dec 2, 2014, 10:07 PM

Is Brownell that bad of a recruiter ?

Re: Why can't we recruit better talent ?

Dec 4, 2014, 8:32 AM

Getting Grantham indicates he can recruit. Getting KJ indicates he can judge superior talent. Nnoko and Hall need to turn it on and the team will get better.

Cancel the program

Dec 4, 2014, 11:47 AM

for one year while we build a coliseum, save the money, and just start over from scratch?

we need a Women's Beach Volleyball Team !

Dec 4, 2014, 4:28 PM

THAT !, would pack 'em in !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we need a Women's Beach Volleyball Team !

Dec 4, 2014, 6:50 PM

We do!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Player development - Regrading

Dec 5, 2014, 12:55 AM

How does this guy go down the list of all the players and get away with people thinking that he is correct? Last year all we heard was it was a team effort. This year we are looking for a guy. This year there are 5 guys that are playing. Each playing 30 plus minutes and they lose down the stretch. How does this guy make his assesment of these players? Is he a coach? What team does he coach? This team is better playing as a team towards the end of last year? Remember the NIT run? Hall, Roper,Harrison ,Noko starters & Blossomgame or Grantham to replace KJ. We Win with hardwork and as a team . You are just going to discount all the contributions these guys gave last year during that season? Roper and Harrison averaged double figures in those games. What Blossomgame brought to the table. Nnoko in the paint playing his role, Not a focus. Hall ran the offense with less pressure and no one got more than 30 minutes fresh legs playing defense means we are fresh down the stretch. How many losses with seconds left is going to take for him to see our starter are tired.

Where did the motion offense go? That offense worked for this squad because it made the other team have to work on defense. Not exciting,but all inclusive and we lost 1 guy out of that style of offense. The 4 round 1 offense with players that cant make a post pass is not going to work this year. The players we have playing together is what produced numbers. Country gentleman,..... you are not correct in your assesment . Phrases like under sized, big south player, even mid major thinking has you missing the fact that college basketball has good teams everywhere. If you are not prepared you lose. We were prepared for Duke last year twice. Explain that. Country gentleman

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic