Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Dabo was a Buddhist....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

If Dabo was a Buddhist....

Apr 16, 2014, 9:41 AM

Doing the same stuff. What would your reaction be? I remember when Phil Jackson came out as one and what he was doing with the Lakers. The Christian response was similar.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Dabo was a Buddhist....

Apr 16, 2014, 9:43 AM

uh, if dabo was a buddhist do you think he would be coaching at clemson

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

umm

Apr 16, 2014, 9:44 AM

not all coaches at CU are Christians.

so what was your point?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the point is--players who spend anytime with Dabo in

Apr 16, 2014, 9:48 AM

the recruiting process know who he is and what he believes. If you are not into that then go elsewhere. Since he is good at this I guess a lot of recruits like what he stands for and believes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the point is--players who spend anytime with Dabo in

Apr 16, 2014, 10:33 AM

That makes no sense. It is not a matter of what he believes or even if the recruits like it. State supported schools, including universities, are by default secular. Over and over again the supreme court has upheld the "wall of separation" interpretation of the establishment clause. You are free to exercise your religion as an individual you are not free to proselytize as an agent of a state institution. Are teachers free to pimp Jesus in public schools? If they are not free to preach Christianity then why should he be? The Christian majority has confused not getting its way all the time with persecution.

preach***

Apr 16, 2014, 10:38 AM

So students who like a university for a program or a person

Apr 16, 2014, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: I think the point is--players who spend anytime with Dabo in ]

or whatever that doesn't matter either. LOL. People choose based on their likes even if you do not like it. Preaching and living your faith are two different things. Christians are told to live their faith and share with others. I guess the state secular religion of political correctness is saying give up your freedom for the state and our doctrine of frowning on any other religion that interferes with our realm.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^this is not a very good argument***

Apr 16, 2014, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: If Dabo was a Buddhist.... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^this is not very good argument***

Apr 16, 2014, 9:47 AM

I'll take it that you'd be fine with him leading team Buddhist prayers then.

Re: ^^this is not very good argument***

Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM

If Dabo were Buddhist and wanted to pray to Buddha or whatever his name is and players joined in willfully I would have no problem with it.

I'm a libertarian. Tolerance and freedom comes with the philosophy. Just stay the heII out of my business....

Same goes for this situation with Christianity and as a Christian I commend him. If he were some other religion it's still none of my business what he believes or what the players choose to accept.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IRONY!!! Wonder how many have really thought about

Apr 16, 2014, 11:24 AM

seeing you (or whomever)at the Finish Line, or where it may be?

Go Tigers

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IRONY!!! Wonder how many have really thought about

Apr 16, 2014, 11:28 AM

Can you rearrange your words in a more understandable manner?

TIA in advance

Probably not.***

Apr 16, 2014, 12:03 PM

This is not a very good topic. Dabo is a Christian and

Apr 16, 2014, 10:19 AM [ in reply to ^^this is not a very good argument*** ]

everyone knows it. Some people act like players are caught off guard and would not have known it in the recruiting process. Many players and families state that is one of the main reasons they chose Clemson. They are happy, Clemson is happy and it really doesn't matter what some liberal organization thinks. Why don't they spend their time and effort helping needy people like Dabo and his wife does? That would make the world a better place to live.

Re: This is not a very good topic. Dabo is a Christian and

Apr 16, 2014, 10:26 AM

I agree with you on the fact that recruits know going into it....but I think you miss the point.

The majority would have a major problem with him "organizing" this team stuff it were any other religion.

I think its great that Christianity provides him personally with morals and character that make him a good man that makes him a better and different coach.

Apr 16, 2014, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: If Dabo was a Buddhist.... ]

Kinda proving my point. It really shouldn't matter what his religion is because he's a public employee and a football coach. Also, so yes you and others do care if he is or isn't a Christian leading state funded organization.

It's a double standard with the religious folk.

Apr 16, 2014, 9:50 AM

Perfectly fine with baptizing of Nuk on school grounds.

However, what if he had converted to Islam or Buddhism instead?

The holy hell riot that would ensue, LOL.

These "Christian values" weren't derived from Christians, morals came way before that.

It's called a good conscience.

Amen.***

Apr 16, 2014, 10:08 AM

which came from?

Apr 16, 2014, 10:10 AM [ in reply to It's a double standard with the religious folk. ]

Yeah, we're just born with it, I know. I'm familiar with Dawkins' explanation of evolution of our mores. Maybe we picked it up from our monkey cousins (not the poop throwing relatives mind you)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Values....

Apr 16, 2014, 10:23 AM [ in reply to It's a double standard with the religious folk. ]

reflect a person’s beliefs about what is good or bad, fair or unfair, legitimate or illegitimate.

Values can reflect how strongly people feel about issues and how committed they are to their beliefs.

As an underlying foundation for ethics, values help to determine behavior and set limits regarding what an individual is willing to tolerate or overlook before taking exception.

What is less clear is where values come from and why people believe the things that they do. After all, what seems to be fine for one person or a society can be totally unacceptable for someone else or a different culture.

It should be no surprise, therefore, that different people view the origin of values and the development of values in different ways.

For the Christian, however, there is a set of values that is understood to be absolute. This perspective comes from a Christian worldview that is biblically based on the work of God. The ongoing process of development and transformation occurs as believers dedicate themselves to living a Godly life based on biblical principles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You use the term ethics, when I think what you meant was

Apr 16, 2014, 10:31 AM

morals. Ethics is based on the opinion of your audience. From the Greek "ethos" originally meaning "accustomed place" which was used in Greek theater to describe the guiding beliefs or ideals that characterize a community, nation, or ideology.

Since ethics vary from place to place (and time), no one person's values can have an established, ultimate ethical value.

People use it wrong all the time, which leads me to believe most people aren't taught the difference.

Values are our fundamental beliefs....

Apr 16, 2014, 10:42 AM

They are the principles we use to define that which is right, good and just. Values provide guidance as we determine the right versus the wrong, the good versus the bad. They are our standards

Morals are values which we attribute to a system of beliefs. Values get their authority from something outside the individual - a higher being or higher authority for example

Ethics are more about our actions and decisions. When one acts in ways which are consistent with our beliefs (whether secular or derived from a moral authority) we will characterize that as acting ethically. When one’s actions are not congruent with our values - our sense of right, good and just - we will view that as acting unethically.

While we may agree on values, we may disagree as to which values apply or which actions best satisfy those values.

And of course we have ethical dilemmas, where the choice is not between what we believe to be right and what we believe to be wrong, but between competing rights.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good points

Apr 16, 2014, 10:48 AM

but the point I was trying to get across is that a particular decision you make could be unethical in the US, but perfectly ethical in Iceland. Ethics is entirely based on the community that you are in. This is the definition of the word, and thus no one value is universally ethical.

Ethics implies judgment for your audience and has nothing to do with your personal value system. Again, this is by the literal derivation of the word from its creation.

Further, here is an example:

Apr 16, 2014, 11:01 AM

*Bob smashes a toad with a bowling ball*

Regardless of the place or time period I live in, I can say, "I believe that Bob's actions were immoral."

However, if we live in a place where people routinely smash toads with sports equipment, I can not say, "I believe that Bob's actions are unethical," because Bob and I both live in a land where this is perfectly ethical.

Kinda like Hindus and cows***

Apr 16, 2014, 11:08 AM

Exactly***

Apr 16, 2014, 11:11 AM

Buddhism is practiced primarily in Asia

Apr 16, 2014, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: If Dabo was a Buddhist.... ]

Are there any college football teams in Asia?

not sure, but we have played in tokyo ! that count ?***

Apr 16, 2014, 10:39 AM

I can only speak for me

Apr 16, 2014, 9:52 AM

But I'd have no problem with it.

would he have to be really fat?***

Apr 16, 2014, 9:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2014, 10:24 AM

cant understand why a big deal is being made of this whole thing. it is nothing more of the regurgitation of what was said when coach bowden was here. they know nothing will come of this in the end but by making the statement they did they are getting their name and their views out there. very hard to do but just say nothing and they go away. mickey and qualk and i am sure roy talking about it is exactly what they want. they know they dont have a legal leg to stand on.

and selling a buttload of "Reason's Greetings" albums...

Apr 16, 2014, 10:27 AM

from the publicity.

Agreed....

Apr 16, 2014, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: If Dabo was a Buddhist.... ]

If they were really wanting to make a name....they'd go after the "prayer" before the game. Although, I've noticed Clemson does a good job at getting other denominations to lead the prayer.

Probably should just be a moment of silence though.

No one is being forced to do anything they don't want to...

Apr 16, 2014, 10:36 AM

Players come to Clemson knowing that a lot of the team activities and team values are going to be Christian-based. They're not forced to come to Clemson or even participate in the activities when on the team, but they're available to any player that wants to be included. Many players see that atmosphere, and it is part of the draw to the Clemson program, but again, players at Clemson do not have to participate in these activities.

This crazy movement is basically the same argument as if someone were to say, "Hey the team meals always include meat. What if someone on the team is a vegetarian? Coach is eating meat, and so many other players and coaches are eating meat too. Coach even took us to a steakhouse where they had all kinds of steaks, chicken, and ribs. What if the player starts feeling pressured to eat meat too?"

Re: No one is being forced to do anything they don't want to...

Apr 16, 2014, 11:58 AM

its not like he makes them wash each others' feet or anything

We pay Dabo to win football games

Apr 16, 2014, 10:42 AM

I don't care what his religious beliefs are. He could worship trees and eat nothing but bugs and I'd be fine with it as long as he's winning championships.

That being said, the minute his religious beliefs interfere with this, I have a problem.

For instance, the attitude of, "if you don't like it then go somewhere else".

If there is an all-world, 5 star DE, who happens to be Muslim, and he ends up deciding to go to another school because of Dabo's faith, I would be upset.

To my knowledge, that hasn't happened yet, but there's a time and place for religion, and there's a time and place for football.

Re: We pay Dabo to win football games

Apr 16, 2014, 10:47 AM

To my knowledge, that hasn't happened yet, but there's a time and place for religion, and there's a time and place for football.

perfectly said. and dabo knows this. for the life of me i cant believe this topic even saw the light of day. it is just a group of idiots trying to make a name, such that it is, for themselves.

You are correct! I am so glad Jesus hated "religion" as

Apr 16, 2014, 11:03 AM [ in reply to We pay Dabo to win football games ]

there is no "time and place" for Him, you love and follow Him (that's a lifestyle) or you don't; really that simple.

Thank you Jesus for loving us all, even when we deny you

Peace

The Dahli Dabo?***

Apr 16, 2014, 10:49 AM

He wouldn't have been hired in the first place.

Apr 16, 2014, 10:52 AM

If we hired him and found out he was a buddhist we'd fire him for losing to USuCk five times in a row. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Petrino is a bootist. It got him fired from Arkansas !

Apr 16, 2014, 10:58 AM

Shouldn't have been riding around with that bootist from the volleyball staff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Petrino is a bootist. It got him fired from Arkansas !***

Apr 16, 2014, 11:03 AM

CJ Spiller would have been a Gator!***

Apr 16, 2014, 11:27 AM

He would have already been fired.

Apr 16, 2014, 1:05 PM

Buddhists ain't so good at football, generally.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic